H100i after 4 years, to old?

I have recently bought a new graphicscard(Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB) and everything was working fine untill yesterday.

Yesterday while i was playing GTA Online my computer shotdown, it happened 2 times. But i had corsair link running the 2nd time, and my CPU was over 80 degrees celsius. And i found out that it was set to shotdown at 90 degrees celsius, but after the 2nd time i changed it to 100 degrees. But this morning it shotdown again. I have a Corsair H100i, and i had it for 4 years. Now to the big question. Can the H100i have become to old and not work that good anymore?? A friend of mine think it could be the thermal paste, so i ordered some Arctic Silver 5. But do i need a new CPU cooler??

How is the rad mounted? Depending how it's mounted it's just suffering from fluid loss and the flowrate is going derp.

It's also possible your thermal compound is bad and is starting to cause a shitty connection. Replacing it should be easy :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

COuld be just old TIM that need to be replaced.

Or it could be faulty cooler.

First try to replace TIM and see what result you will get.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

3 minutes ago, AJToft said:

I have recently bought a new graphicscard(Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB) and everything was working fine untill yesterday.

Yesterday while i was playing GTA Online my computer shotdown, it happened 2 times. But i had corsair link running the 2nd time, and my CPU was over 80 degrees celsius. And i found out that it was set to shotdown at 90 degrees celsius, but after the 2nd time i changed it to 100 degrees. But this morning it shotdown again. I have a Corsair H100i, and i had it for 4 years. Now to the big question. Can the H100i have become to old and not work that good anymore?? A friend of mine think it could be the thermal paste, so i ordered some Arctic Silver 5. But do i need a new CPU cooler??

what cpu do u have? it should be fine new thermal paste could be your issue have u cleaned the fan out and the rad using a can of air check the fan is working fully 

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

Just now, samcool55 said:

How is the rad mounted? Depending how it's mounted it's just suffering from fluid loss and the flowrate is going derp.

It's also possible your thermal compound is bad and is starting to cause a shitty connection. Replacing it should be easy :P

Its mounted in the top of the case.

Just now, CatXice said:

what cpu do u have? it should be fine new thermal paste could be your issue have u cleaned the fan out and the rad using a can of air check the fan is working fully 

AMD FX-8350 8-Core Black Edition

Just now, AJToft said:

Its mounted in the top of the case.

Should be fine then. Check the thermal compound as your friend suggested. It might be a good idea to check voltages, are you maybe running it overclocked?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, AJToft said:

ok the h100i is more then good enough for that cpu like i said check thermal paste fan is spining up fully and the rads not full of dust

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

first of all to see if the pump is broken, check the tube to see if you can feel the flow, then check to see if the radiator is hot, if the pump isnt working the tubing will be hot and the radiator not so.

All fans are working fine, and i recently cleaned it for dust and i do it about every 2 or 3 month.

2 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

first of all to see if the pump is broken, check the tube to see if you can feel the flow, then check to see if the radiator is hot, if the pump isnt working the tubing will be hot and the radiator not so.

Thanks, i can fell the flow. Tubes and radiator is not hot. So it gotta be the thermal paste.

Just now, AJToft said:

Thanks, i can fell the flow. Tubes and radiator is not hot. So it gotta be the thermal paste.

indeed, usually pumps have a some sort of noise to them anyway, corsairs thermal paste they put on the block isnt the best stuff anyway and if its not been changed in 4 years its a big possibility. bear in mind though that the fx series cpus were known for reporting false temp readings, they dont have sensors but if the pc is shutting down it deffo is overheating.

Considering my H100i pump failed after 3 years of continuous, 24/7 use, I'd say it's a distinct possibility that the pump might be deteriorating.

An easy way to check is in the Hardware Monitor in the BIOS.  Most modern BIOSes have a Hardware section where you can see CPU/system temps.

Reset everything to stock and monitor the temp for about 10 mins.  If it keeps going up when you're just in the BIOS, then you may have a pump issue.