Nintendo announces the new *New* Nintendo 2DS XL game console (not a joke)

GoodBytes

Nintendo announces today, out of nowhere, a new gaming revision to its portable game console, replacing the 2DS. This is the *New* Nintendo 2DS XL (yes, "New" is part of the name, like the *New* 3DS XL). The console is really the *New* Nintendo 3DS XL, but without the 3D. Like the 2DS was over the 3DS, it was aimed at young kids where 3D effect screen could be an issue, or for worrying parents, and was cheaper. The *New* 3DS features a faster CPU and GPU, as well as the much needed C-Stick, Z-button, and also included Nintendo's Amiibo's toys support. Some games only ran properly, or were exclusive to the *New* Nintendo 3DS XL. But the 2DS never got an update blocking users. Now, it does. It has all the same features as the *New* Nintendo 3DS XL, and brings back the clam shell design:

Bellow is the picture of the current 2DS, if you wonder. It was made cheaply by removing the 3D screen, as previously mentioned, used what it looks like a WiiU gamepad screen and "split" it in 2 with plastic border, and made the bottom screen smaller with a larger plastic border. This allowed to reduce production cost by using a largely produced screen, using 1 panel instead of 2. And, as you can see, it didn't have a hinge, making it, sadly, harder to fit in a pocket, but helped reduced cost. A sleeve of sorts was included.

nintendo-2ds-blue.png

This new console (or updated console, I should say) is set to launch July 28, and cost $150 US

Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-the-2ds-xl-1794727565

If you wonder the *New* Nintendo 3DS has the following specs

• 804 MHz ARM11 MPCore quad-core + 1 super weak CPU core
  • 256 MB of RAM (OS takes 64MB)
  • 10MB of video RAM. yup!
  • 204 MHz DMP PICA200 GPU
  • 1GB of internal storage (and you thought the Switch was limited with its 32GB)
  • 2.4GHz single band Wireless G / NFC

From wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Nintendo_3DS

Cool, but I was hoping they would completely drop the "handheld" hardware and use one unifying hardware. They expect people to be carrying around multiple handhelds?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Cool, but I was hoping they would completely drop the "handheld" hardware and use one unifying hardware. They expect people to be carrying around multiple handhelds?

its like the Gameboy micro idea they did when the DS came out, they said they will support it but ultimately dropped it. 

I'm glad they got rid of the stupid 2DS design, but $150 is a bit steep. I honestly don't use any of the 3D functionality on my 3DS, so this would be perfect for someone like me. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I wonder if this means that they don't plan on replacing their portable line with the Switch. I wonder if anyone was expecting this. 

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

its like the Gameboy micro idea they did when the DS came out, they said they will support it but ultimately dropped it. 

The fact that they're still supporting this tells me that the chances of getting a Switch Pokémon game just fell dramatically.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

@GoodBytes there's a typo in the title.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, ivan134 said:

Switch Pokémon game just fell dramatically.

GameBoy micro came out after the DS we thought the same thing, i really hope switch gets a Pokemon game. the new 3ds xl struggles to run Pokemon at 30 fps. 

why would they launch another handheld when there's the switch

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

So after unprecedented success with the switch, they go ahead and cannibalize it....Fuck this is stupid, baffling as to why they didn't went with a non-mobile console if they were planning to still push this one.

-------

Current Rig

-------

15 minutes ago, Poofu said:

why would they launch another handheld when there's the switch

Because to them, Switch is "Home console that allows you to be portable" and not a "Portable handheld console". Basically they are trying to sell as many different products to the targeted market.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

So after unprecedented success with the switch, they go ahead and cannibalize it....Fuck this is stupid, baffling as to why they didn't went with a non-mobile console if they were planning to still push this one.

They aren't cannibalizing anything. These products are serving different purposes. 

I'm just hoping that they include a charger for this one. Although, you can buy USB to 3DS/DS/GBAL charging cables for cheap.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

25 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

The fact that they're still supporting this tells me that the chances of getting a Switch Pokémon game just fell dramatically.

Makes me sad. :(

I honestly don't know how to feel about this. The design makes me laugh, I thought it was a joke post until I clicked the links.                

Delta R5 Build

CPU: AMD RYZEN 1600 Purchased

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS  Purchased

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3000MHX (2X8GB) Purchased

CPU COOLER: DeepCool GAMMAXX 400 GT RGB Purchased

GPU: Gigabyte Xtreme Aorus 6gb GTX 1060 Purchased

Case: NZXT S340 (White) Purchased

PSU: EVGA 550B3 Purchased

HDD: WD Blue 1TB  Purchased

SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB Purchased

Wifi Card: Asus PCE-N15 PCI-E 1X Purchased

--BUILD READY--

35 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

d not to mention that the device doesn't have the 2x cameras as well for AR feature it could do nor 3D pictures. 

the 2ds could play ar and and take 3d photos and it also had 2 cameras it just couldn't view 3d photos 

But Y tho. Seriously Nintendo, this just isn't needed, or wanted.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

I will buy it as i like the look and i collect handhelds. But i dont get why they are doing it. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

I like the 2DS, it actually feels more comfortable in hand to me. And it doesn't have those cheap ass hinges to break, or the useless 3D I never use.

This design though... It sucks. WHY??? Agh.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Why does it have the same amount of storage+memory found in $50 smartphones from when Android 2.1 was still relevant?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

55 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

We should be getting one soon. Haven't had a Stadium-type game since Battle Revolution on the Wii. Then again, they may be due for a Colosseum-type game as well. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Why does it have the same amount of storage+memory found in $50 smartphones from when Android 2.1 was still relevant?

Because Nintendo's 1st- and 2nd-party developers know how to code for what they have rather than what they wish they had.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

59 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm just hoping that they include a charger for this one. Although, you can buy USB to 3DS/DS/GBAL charging cables for cheap.

They do! (Check the 'what's included' tab)

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

23 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Because Nintendo's 1st- and 2nd-party developers know how to code for what they have rather than what they wish they had.

$150 USD hand-held. With the same memory as a $50 AUD phone from 2010. Its not about how good the developers are.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

46 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

I like the 2DS, it actually feels more comfortable in hand to me. And it doesn't have those cheap ass hinges to break, or the useless 3D I never use.

This design though... It sucks. WHY??? Agh.

I actually prefer the look (well the look that the player has anyway -- nothing else).

I honestly wish the 3DS came without 3D but in an a magnesium body -- or at least didn't feel like a cheap piece of junk. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler