Cool cheap hunting gadgets?

Cookiecrumbles222

Hey, guys, i know this is the polar opposite of tech, but what are some cool hunting gadgets that aren't expensive? I have a brother who is very into hunting and I want to get him something cool that he most likely will not have any tips? Thanks, guys! (if possible under 30$)

thought about picking him up a box or two of what ever caliber rounds he uses?

Being a bit of a gun guy myself, nothing is nicer than getting a couple boxes of ammunition on the cheap from friends or family as a gift. Though... if you can't buy ammo because you don't have the proper certs to, then that idea kind of goes out the window.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 minutes ago, Atmos said:

thought about picking him up a box or two of what ever caliber rounds he uses?

Being a bit of a gun guy myself, nothing is nicer than getting a couple boxes of ammunition on the cheap from friends or family as a gift. Though... if you can't buy ammo because you don't have the proper certs to, then that idea kind of goes out the window.

Thanks for the suggestion! but I want to get him something that he will think is cool, or different. not just some bullets usually other family members get that for him. (or a cheap gadget that would be super useful)

I dunno what you mean by cheap but here are my suggestions.

Electronic hearing protection- Blocks the loud noises but lets in the quiet ones.  Makes it easier to hear someone talking to you without them needing to raise their voices.

Cheap but decent:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not cheap but pretty nice:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q04MRG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two way Radios:

some even have the ability to connect to electronic hearing protection making communicating even easier over distances.  

Good set of binoculars:  Amazon and Optics planet have a good selection.

apart from that maybe a vacuum insulated thermos to keep his beverage of choice hot/cold while out in the sticks. 

get a scope mount for his phone

You can get a flexible mount that holds your phone's camera to a scope, allowing you to use the digital zoom on the camera to take the shot, and see at a bigger angle. (Not having to hold your eye in line with the scope, IF the sun isn't too bright on the phone screen) More importantly, it makes it easy to record the shot, he can show his friends his big kill. 

There's a bunch of different types out there, but the DIY ones seem to work the best. It basically involves some PVC pipe, a rubber tube, and just gluing a regular phone case for the phone you want to use to the contraption. Tutorials all over youtube. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

something that just came to mind.

If you can't find a "gadget" that fits into your budget you could try getting him some other gun related tools/accessories.

I dunno what your brother has but a cleaning kit with an assortment of different punches and jags is always nice.

A bench vice is good tool and is very handy when it comes to cleaning and maintenance.

A hammer and punch set is good to have as well.  Specifically you'd want a non-marring hammer such as a rubber mallet and a set of punches.  A mixture of Brass and steel punches is best as the brass punches won't scratch the finish on your brother's gun.

7 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

get a scope mount for his phone

You can get a flexible mount that holds your phone's camera to a scope, allowing you to use the digital zoom on the camera to take the shot, and see at a bigger angle. (Not having to hold your eye in line with the scope, IF the sun isn't too bright on the phone screen) More importantly, it makes it easy to record the shot, he can show his friends his big kill. 

There's a bunch of different types out there, but the DIY ones seem to work the best. It basically involves some PVC pipe, a rubber tube, and just gluing a regular phone case for the phone you want to use to the contraption. Tutorials all over youtube. 

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cellphone-Digiscoping-Binocular-Microscope/dp/B01N1ELJCR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493080299&sr=8-1&keywords=Smartphone+Telescope+Adapter+Mount+for+Rifle+Scope+Binocular+Monocular+Spotting 

would that bee good?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

6 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

yah looks like it. 

my brother has a vortex viper whats best for that? with an iphone 7

Some great grease for ~$5? LOVE this stuff. It stays sticky forever and never dries up, like other black greases. Have bought it 3 times, great great stuff.

31hVbznwzCL.jpg.127374f93d92865c00411bb014e7ea3d.jpghttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZLVLCK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_12?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A20QE77LQWR05P

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

4 hours ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

Those iphone holders are hit and miss for me. I've had 2 different ones that generally follow the same design. Yet, one of them works on my telescope's eyepiece and one of them works on my the actual scope on my rifle. So..

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Just now, DutchTexan said:

Those iphone holders are hit and miss for me. I've had 2 different ones that generally follow the same design. Yet, one of them works on my telescope's eyepiece and one of them works on my the actual scope on my rifle. So..

would this one work with vortex viper and an iPhone 7?

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cellphone-Digiscoping-Binocular-Microscope/dp/B01N1ELJCR/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

2 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

I think it should, yes, if the OD of the scope is around an inch and a half, I'm guessing? That phone mount will hold an iPhone 7 and handles a scope OD of 28mm - 47mm.

What size cap could you fit on your votex? http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-flip-cap-optic-cover-size-4-fc-4

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X