Is the i5 7600k significantly better than the i5 6600k?

Go to solution Solved by Daniel644,

you get slightly higher clock speeds when overclocking with the 7600k, plus you get support for 4k Netflix on PC with the 7600k, oh and Optane support. as for z270 not worth the price premium if you don't get the 7600k as the added chipset features really need the Kaby Lake CPU.

So im in the market for a new cpu and saw that the i5 6600k is around 30$ cpu less expensive than the i5 7600k. I heard Kaby Lake has the same ipc as skylake so what are the differences between them, is the extra 30$ worth it for the i5 7600k? And if I go with the 6600k should I get a Z270 motherboard or a Z170 motherboard?

you get slightly higher clock speeds when overclocking with the 7600k, plus you get support for 4k Netflix on PC with the 7600k, oh and Optane support. as for z270 not worth the price premium if you don't get the 7600k as the added chipset features really need the Kaby Lake CPU.

kabylake is oc skylake

get the i5 6600k with z170

z270 board are much more expensive

if it was only 30 difference mobo + cpu i would have gone with kabylake because you can oc more

Just now, Daniel644 said:

Il be using a hyper 212 evo for some mild overclocking, would I be able to get about the same overclock on both?

the 7600k is basically just a 6600k with a factory overclock. However, if you're open to the idea, i would probably recommend a AMD system over it.Even in the worst games for AMD, its pretty even between a 7600k and a 1600 and then there are plenty of games and other programs that will take advantage of the 12 threads of a R5 1600 AMD system where it will demolish the 4 threads of a i5 7600k or 6600k. And Ryzen has more things controlled on the chip, so the motherboards tend to be cheaper.

1 minute ago, antoipod said:

Il be using a hyper 212 evo for some mild overclocking, would I be able to get about the same overclock on both?

with temp limits due to air cooling it would come down more to the "silicon lottery" as to how things would play, I would say unless you need the features of Kaby Lake like the 4k Netflix and Optane that it's not worth 30 bucks more.