Mastercard No PIN or Signature required

Mastercard has decided to begin testing a system to do away with PINs or requiring a signature for your credit card purchases.  Their solution, use a fingerprint.  Now this isn't something like NFC verification with the fingerprint scanner on your phone, but actually having a built in fingerprint sensor on the edge of the card to use.  According to an article on TechSpot:

http://www.techspot.com/news/69028-mastercard-testing-credit-cards-embedded-fingerprint-sensors.html

Setting up one of these cards won’t be as simple as using an app. Assuming your financial institution decides to use the system, you’ll need to visit an enrollment center to have your fingerprints scanned. An encrypted digital template will then be stored on the card’s EMV chip. It’s possible to have two prints on the same card, though they must both belong to the owner – you can’t add other people’s fingerprints.

Assuming the current testing in South Africa goes well, they are hoping to roll this out to Europe and Asia later in the year and maybe worldwide before the end of 2017.  Some issues I can see, this may not be as secure as they are assuming considering I've seen quite a few videos on fingerprint sensors being overridden.  Another issue I can think of is the durability of the sensor.  I know that my card usually looks in bad shape after about a year or two in my wallet.

Why South Africa of all places

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

1 hour ago, pbx2 said:

Why South Africa of all places

why not?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, tlink said:

i hope this fails miserably, its a bad plan all around. if they did this AND a pin code i would be kinda okay with it.

If it was optional like contactless in the UK, also allowing 2FAuth would be amazing

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

Just now, zMeul said:

how would I give the card to a family member if it only allows my fingerprints?! did MasterCard went that retard 

That's not really the intended use of the card though.

--- Purple Prime ---

--- Proteus Server ---

--- Camera Stuff ---
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

how would I give the card to a family member if it only allows my fingerprints?! did MasterCard went that retard 

That was one of my thoughts on this.  My best guess is that maybe they want you to chop off your finger...  

Just now, pbx2 said:

If it was optional like contactless in the UK, also allowing 2FAuth would be amazing

no not optional, just 2fa or only pin. bio metrics are not a good security practice unless they are combined with a pass code of some sorts. with contactless you can just lower the amount so it still requires pin which is great, no physical wear and tear on my card and im still a lot quicker.

Just now, pbx2 said:

not intended!? you can have cards with a owner and a family member(s) as authorized user

What happens when your gf, family member, friend etc is going to the shop for you or paying for fuel while you fill up the car? Idk how i feel about this.

1 minute ago, pbx2 said:

It might not be an intended use, however there are people who do lend their cards to their spouse or kids for purchases.  Seems like a limiting factor that Mastercard may want to address.

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Just now, JAKEBAB said:

What happens when your gf, family member, friend etc is going to the shop for you or paying for fuel while you fill up the car? Idk how i feel about this.

just 3d print a backup finger dudes, the future is now :P

https://fusion.net/police-asked-this-3d-printing-lab-to-recreate-a-dead-ma-1793860413

No..no...NO!

Didn't we learn from switching to chips? Most people are stupid! I don't want to wait at check out again while someone is fumbling with their fingerprint secure card at the register. NOT AGAIN!  Plus this time the cashier can't take the card and show them how to do it because they need their fingerprint. And, besides the fact I don't think this card will be as thin as current cards, I bet people would still need to sign or something. I remember when chips were introduced and they talked about not needing to sign or put your pin in anymore...the chip takes 2x longer than the old fashion swiping. Security be damned!

Then if the sensor gets dirty...more wasted time.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

2 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

the chip takes 2x longer than the old fashion swiping

Um no... More like 4-5x longer.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

7 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

No..no...NO!

Didn't we learn from switching to chips? Most people are stupid! I don't want to wait at check out again while someone is fumbling with their fingerprint secure card at the register. NOT AGAIN!  Plus this time the cashier can't take the card and show them how to do it because they need their fingerprint. And, besides the fact I don't think this card will be as thin as current cards, I bet people would still need to sign or something. I remember when chips were introduced and they talked about not needing to sign or put your pin in anymore...the chip takes 2x longer than the old fashion swiping. Security be damned!

Then if the sensor gets dirty...more wasted time.

the swipe was ridiculously easy to copy, a 3 bucks device can copy it in a second. you effectively would've removed the security a card gives.

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

Um no... More like 4-5x longer.

let me keep my rose-colored glasses on please. 

like those places they still haven't replaced there old beat up readers. You put your card in and wait about 5-10 seconds between each prompt. When I go to this local store the line is always super long because people are using cards and it takes about a minute per person to pay. I only carry cash still for THAT store lol

1 minute ago, tlink said:

the swipe was ridiculously easy to copy, a 3 bucks device can copy it in a second. you effectively would've removed the security a card gives.

I understand the reasoning - I like my money not stolen to. But, they should at least improve the system. Chipped cards have been widespread in the US long enough that I shouldn't spend so much time paying. The walmarts by me all upgraded their registers and cc readers but it still takes wayyy to long. When I lived abroad I literally tapped the machine and *boom* receipt. 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

isn't it just like paying with your phone

but without your phone

seems kinda pointless imo

because dont you use a fingerprint scanner for stuff like apple pay?

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

2 minutes ago, crysilis said:

but without your phone

you have to understand that apple pay is their direct competition.

2 minutes ago, crysilis said:

but without your phone

Android and Apple Pay still seem WAAAYYYYYY more secure to me vs using cards.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Part of my job deals heavily with secure entry systems. 

Finger print tech that can be mass deployed is not there yet. 

And the liability involved with being hacked for those prints is just not feasible. 

You cant change a finger print! 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

5 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Part of my job deals heavily with secure entry systems. 

Finger print tech that can be mass deployed is not there yet. 

And the liability involved with being hacked for those prints is just not feasible. 

You cant change a finger print! 

well we got 10 chances before we're s.o.l :P

1 hour ago, pbx2 said:

Funny thing is its only optional if you specifically ask for a non-contactless payment card. They don't ask if you want contactless or not, just send that one automatically unless you ask for one without it. (Experience from my bank anyways)

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 hour ago, pbx2 said:

I like where you're going with that. Using your banking app, you can set authorization limits. 

• $50 and under, pay way approved
  • $51 to $200, requires pay wave and pin/finger print 
  • $201 or more requires 2FA using notification from banking app on phone