What's up with these shitty thumbnails? - Honest Answers Ep. 5

On 4/24/2017 at 6:10 AM, AstroCosmical said:

Exactly lol and if you are a true fan, you would watch their content even if it changes.

That's the definition of bias.

I don't mind change, don't get me wrong. But if you want to stand out, you should do something new, innovate. Being a sheep following the trend is not innovation, is not standing out. You're just a follower, a sheep, depending on them, which by itself is against their way of thinking ("We launch FPL because we don't want to be dependent on one platform").

An example, look at the motherboards market. ASUS innovated introducing things like I/O covers and RGB. They stood out. Few generations later, the sheep catch up, now every high end motherboard has those. Do you think that makes them stand out? In my opinion, it just shows lack of identity and innovation.

On 4/25/2017 at 1:57 AM, Majestic said:

Has he made one of these where he looks at technical feedback? Like taking responsibility when he fucks up on a technical level? 

Like doing 4K CPU benchmarks, and delidding a 6700K with 5 w/mk thermalpaste and a stock cooler?

My issue isn't the thumbnails, it's the actual content. I rarely watch his video's because of it. 

How often does he fuck up?

I wondered about the As Fast As Possible flicks L-boy does. How much stuff is left out, its just a google fest anyways, and google is wrong and right.

I think at this point we can say LTT is not a technical tech channel, they are an entertainment tech channel. That's the fork in the road... You're either fine with that or you're not. This is the direction LTT has been heading for years now. There is nothing I can say that will change Linus' mind.

What if entertainment makes more money than actually technical tech?

On 4/25/2017 at 3:05 AM, peanutsrevenge said:

LTT (or more accurately, LMG) is a business and businesses don't care about anything but money because they're not sentient beings. Businesses don't have empathy, compassion or anything, it's up to the directors and employees to bring that. When times are good and there's little competition/pressure then it's possible for people to run a business in a good and positive way, but when that competition starts heating up and pressure on the business's bottom line increases it gets harder and harder to justify doing 'the right thing' when doing 'the wrong thing' helps the bottom line more because eventually, the business will cease to exist when competing with businesses more focused on profits. It's the blatant flaw of Capitalism and why there are no 'really good' businesses near the top of highly competitive industries.

Businesses are made of people, and Linus is not a CEO in a publicly traded company.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

We get more frequent content and its not like there has been a sudden rush of innovation worthy of detailed analysis over the past couple of years so its inevitable that some of the content would start skewing towards entertainment rather than pure tech.

When LMG does the pure tech thing, its well produced, informative and entertaining. This has and is working well for them, seen them grow into something that, while diluted from what he did during the NCIX days, is still entertaining and tech focused. Junk food for the eyes. 

They are always among the first to cover new tech releases and as something to watch during a lunch break its good. Thumbnails are just thumbnails and you have to do whats right for the business with these.. its like someone getting up in arms about the trend for something like smaller hatchbacks which get "offroad makeovers" to sell more to soccer mums... absolutely not to everyone's taste... but if you can do it, yet don't AND willfully loose out on revenue then its a daft business decision... and if you make daft business decisions why would I trust you in other things?

If its whats best of the business, keeps them on top and allows them to keep making content then go for it.

Didn't know the thumbnails (or being upset with them) were a thing.

I happen to like them...it's clickbait that works on me.  :D

On 4/25/2017 at 3:05 AM, peanutsrevenge said:

LTT (or more accurately, LMG) is a business and businesses don't care about anything but money because they're not sentient beings. Businesses don't have empathy, compassion or anything, it's up to the directors and employees to bring that. When times are good and there's little competition/pressure then it's possible for people to run a business in a good and positive way, but when that competition starts heating up and pressure on the business's bottom line increases it gets harder and harder to justify doing 'the right thing' when doing 'the wrong thing' helps the bottom line more because eventually, the business will cease to exist when competing with businesses more focused on profits. It's the blatant flaw of Capitalism and why there are no 'really good' businesses near the top of highly competitive industries.

This is an idiotic statement, are many or even most large corporations solely driven by money? Sure but to use that as a blanket statement for All business is just dumb. Costco for example, pays it's employees a living wage because they think it's moral not because it makes them more money. My brother in law is is a general contactor and helps out his employees all the time to the detriment of his bottom line. He gives honest pricing for insurance work rather than gouging for more money.

You can say that an examples like this are the exception that proves the rule, but most businesses aren't big corporations, and they are run by individuals who care about things other than just money.

On 2017-5-2 at 8:56 PM, Dark_wizzie said:

I think at this point we can say LTT is not a technical tech channel, they are an entertainment tech channel. That's the fork in the road... You're either fine with that or you're not. This is the direction LTT has been heading for years now. There is nothing I can say that will change Linus' mind.

What if entertainment makes more money than actually technical tech?

Businesses are made of people, and Linus is not a CEO in a publicly traded company.

It's been entertainment biased for as long as I've been watching.
CEO was an example of business.
Linus cares about his employees and therefore will do his best for the business for his employees.

It's ignorant to say businesses are run by people, but people have to leave their own personal beliefs and biases at the door when going to work and do what's best for the business, otherwise they'll be fired.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

6 hours ago, Deusrex said:

This is an idiotic statement, are many or even most large corporations solely driven by money? Sure but to use that as a blanket statement for All business is just dumb. Costco for example, pays it's employees a living wage because they think it's moral not because it makes them more money. My brother in law is is a general contactor and helps out his employees all the time to the detriment of his bottom line. He gives honest pricing for insurance work rather than gouging for more money.

You can say that an examples like this are the exception that proves the rule, but most businesses aren't big corporations, and they are run by individuals who care about things other than just money.

You're right, I will say there are always exceptions, those exceptions rarely become dominant and it's the dominant ones who reach the point where they can impact laws and regulations and those who're inclined to mess around with laws and regulations for their own benefit and the detriment of society as a whole have been caring about their profit margins as a priority.

Google used to care about people and society, then Schmitt took the reigns, their profits went crazy roughly in line with the worse treatment of people and society, reaching the point now where 'don't do evil' is no longer part of their model.

Or, you can keep convincing yourself that neoliberal economics are great and society isn't currently tearing itself apart. Perhaps you're one of those who subscribe to the theory that it's 'the other' who's to blame for everything, whether blacks, whites, jews, arabs, immigrants etc..

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm

2 hours ago, peanutsrevenge said:

It's been entertainment biased for as long as I've been watching.
CEO was an example of business.
Linus cares about his employees and therefore will do his best for the business for his employees.

It's ignorant to say businesses are run by people, but people have to leave their own personal beliefs and biases at the door when going to work and do what's best for the business, otherwise they'll be fired.

Or, he did what he did because he thought entertainment was cooler. I know it's more fun to derp with $10000 hardware than to do more thermal testing of yet another radiator. The face that corporations are a thing doesn't tell us anything because corporations are people. It shouldn't get anybody off the hook. Linus is still Linus.

Your way of thinking is not the only way, stop calling me ignorant.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

This topic is still being beaten into the ground?

It's time to face the fact that the people who actually have issue with the direction of LMG are a vocal minority who are dismissed as haters. It's hard to argue that LTT is somehow failing when LTT is one of the largest, strongest tech channels. Linus obviously has a vision of where he wants to take the company in terms of content and audience, and a even a few thousand contrary voices is not going to change that.

3 hours ago, Dark_wizzie said:

Or, he did what he did because he thought entertainment was cooler. I know it's more fun to derp with $10000 hardware than to do more thermal testing of yet another radiator. The face that corporations are a thing doesn't tell us anything because corporations are people. It shouldn't get anybody off the hook. Linus is still Linus.

Your way of thinking is not the only way, stop calling me ignorant.

I didn't say entertainment wasn't cooler, I've been watching since around the first live show, that's for a reason, I like it, I've tired and phased in and out of several other tech channels, but LTT has been a constant fixture in my watched history.

Yes Mr Romney, of course corporations are people <smfh>

We're all ignorant about most things, there's not enough hours in a day to be well informed about everything. This is something I spend several hours, every day informing myself on.

E2A: You list your occupation as 'student' in your bio, that implies you're <25, I was still spouting that dumbass bullshit when I was 25, then I was shown a different perspective and I realized that our society is broken because of our competition based economy in a technical world and realized how ignorant I was. I shall therefore keep calling you ignorant thanks.

Edited by peanutsrevenge
E2A

44 minutes ago, peanutsrevenge said:

I didn't say entertainment wasn't cooler, I've been watching since around the first live show, that's for a reason, I like it, I've tired and phased in and out of several other tech channels, but LTT has been a constant fixture in my watched history.

Yes Mr Romney, of course corporations are people <smfh>

We're all ignorant about most things, there's not enough hours in a day to be well informed about everything. This is something I spend several hours, every day informing myself on.

E2A: You list your occupation as 'student' in your bio, that implies you're <25, I was still spouting that dumbass bullshit when I was 25, then I was shown a different perspective and I realized that our society is broken because of our competition based economy in a technical world and realized how ignorant I was. I shall therefore keep calling you ignorant thanks.

I'm ignorant because I'm young because reasons.

Okay, got it.
Didn't come off as a dick move at all.

Don't discriminate me based on age, only address other people's claims next time. And saying I am ignorant in one thing is not the same as just calling me ignorant in general. 

We're done.

2 minutes ago, Dark_wizzie said:

I'm ignorant because I'm young because reasons.

Okay, got it.
Didn't come off as a dick move at all.

Don't discriminate me based on age, only address other people's claims next time. And saying I am ignorant in one thing is not the same as just calling me ignorant in general. 

We're done.

I said you were ignorant before I looked into how old you were based on what you were saying about the topic at hand, but you carry on reading things in a way that's most convenient.

Edit: In fact, I didn't even call you ignorant initially, I said "It's ignorant to say businesses are run by people".

Edited by peanutsrevenge

7 hours ago, peanutsrevenge said:

You're right, I will say there are always exceptions, those exceptions rarely become dominant and it's the dominant ones who reach the point where they can impact laws and regulations and those who're inclined to mess around with laws and regulations for their own benefit and the detriment of society as a whole have been caring about their profit margins as a priority.

Google used to care about people and society, then Schmitt took the reigns, their profits went crazy roughly in line with the worse treatment of people and society, reaching the point now where 'don't do evil' is no longer part of their model.

Or, you can keep convincing yourself that neoliberal economics are great and society isn't currently tearing itself apart. Perhaps you're one of those who subscribe to the theory that it's 'the other' who's to blame for everything, whether blacks, whites, jews, arabs, immigrants etc..

The jump from my statement of  "most businesses aren't big corporations, and they are run by individuals who care about things other than just money." to you basically calling me racist, and trying to use your pseudo intellectual double speak to hide it was pretty epic there. You've never held a job, never run a business, and/or have little to no understanding of economics.

The world is a harsh place, it's always going to be a harsh place. Blaming corporations for doing what corporations do is insane. Furthermore to say they do more harm than good is blatantly false. Are business or corporations perfect? Obviously not, but that doesn't mean that their inherently evil either.

3 minutes ago, Deusrex said:

The jump from my statement of  "most businesses aren't big corporations, and they are run by individuals who care about things other than just money." to you basically calling me racist, and trying to use your pseudo intellectual double speak to hide it was pretty epic there. You've never held a job, never run a business, and/or have little to no understanding of economics.

The world is a harsh place, it's always going to be a harsh place. Blaming corporations for doing what corporations do is insane. Furthermore to say they do more harm than good is blatantly false. Are business or corporations perfect? Obviously not, but that doesn't mean that their inherently evil either.

If you think that blaming immigrants is calling you racist, then I can understand why you just call what you don't understand (some of which I'm sure is my own fault for over simplifying a hugely complex subject into an unqualified forum reply) "pseudo intellectual double speak".

It's not corporations that are uniquely evil, it's the archaic socio-economic systems that we use which are evil in the modern world. Corporations are just one of far too symptoms of that problem which were relevant to the topic at hand.

Remember, to LMG, we're the product, not the customer!

4 hours ago, peanutsrevenge said:

If you think that blaming immigrants is calling you racist, then I can understand why you just call what you don't understand (some of which I'm sure is my own fault for over simplifying a hugely complex subject into an unqualified forum reply) "pseudo intellectual double speak".

It's not corporations that are uniquely evil, it's the archaic socio-economic systems that we use which are evil in the modern world. Corporations are just one of far too symptoms of that problem which were relevant to the topic at hand.

Remember, to LMG, we're the product, not the customer!

So your plan is to what? Overhaul the entire economy with fairy dust and gum drops? What other economic system would propose? Anarcho-capitalism, no because it has all of the problems of capitalism but no way to regulate anything and the idea that the "market" would adjust is a fantasy. Oh I know we could go with communism, because "that wasn't real communism/Socialism" even though that's what everyone says when it's their turn to try it and when it fails, it fails because "it wasn't really... Blah, blah, blah". I know we could go facists, sure free thought will be sacrificed but hey the trains will run on time and everyone will be employed, weather they like it or not. Oh I know we could do anarcho-comunism or as of call it the paradox social order. It's like you're two idiot friends from high school voltroned into a new more powerful idiot, and some how losing the few likeable qualities they had.

You know what call me crazy, but I think I'm gonna ride this one out, and cry myself to sleep with my land of plenty and liberty.

5 hours ago, Deusrex said:

So your plan is to what? Overhaul the entire economy with fairy dust and gum drops? What other economic system would propose? Anarcho-capitalism, no because it has all of the problems of capitalism but no way to regulate anything and the idea that the "market" would adjust is a fantasy. Oh I know we could go with communism, because "that wasn't real communism/Socialism" even though that's what everyone says when it's their turn to try it and when it fails, it fails because "it wasn't really... Blah, blah, blah". I know we could go facists, sure free thought will be sacrificed but hey the trains will run on time and everyone will be employed, weather they like it or not. Oh I know we could do anarcho-comunism or as of call it the paradox social order. It's like you're two idiot friends from high school voltroned into a new more powerful idiot, and some how losing the few likeable qualities they had.

You know what call me crazy, but I think I'm gonna ride this one out, and cry myself to sleep with my land of plenty and liberty.

A Resource Based Economy around systems theory as proposed by The Venus Project and advocated by The Zeitgeist Movement though I'm more for free enterprise than TZM is.
Work with Science & Technology rather than against it which has been happening for decades.
Automate the work that people don't want to do, is dangerous to do or where the highest efficiencies are required. Produce the highest quality goods possible to ensure they last a long time and therefore the least amount of natural resources are required over the longer term (rather than the race to the bottom and planned / intrinsic obsolescence we have today) so that we no longer need to have mandatory labor and therefore no monetary system would be required allowing people to pursue the careers that they're actually skilled at and enjoy doing.

It's still going to have its problems, but I believe it'll be a fair bit better than we have today because it takes what we've learned over the millennia but devised in the technological age rather than trying to shoehorn archaic institutions and mentalities into a world that hadn't been conceived.

Recommended viewing order to get a better understanding of the concepts (rather than some guy who's just gotten out of bed throwing some text on a screen)

And on the off chance anyone does find the concept's intriguing and watches those, here's a playlist of other stuff I find intriguing

Edited by peanutsrevenge
Added playlist

"You got rid of them. Yes, that's just like you. Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it. Whether 'tis better in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows or outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them...But you don't do either. Neither suffer nor oppose. You just abolish the slings and arrows. It's too easy."

― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

Just to continue beating this: there is a saying where I live: "Money changes most people". 

2 hours ago, TheGleaner said:

Just to continue beating this: there is a saying where I live: "Money changes most people". 

He's not a multi-billionaire or something. He has a successful small business, he hasn't become a oil magnate.

1 minute ago, Deusrex said:

He's not a multi-billionaire or something. He has a successful small business, he hasn't become a oil magnate.

If you went from working at a computer store/ having 1 or two employees to having virtually unlimited computer/tech/etc. hardware/software/etc. and 15 or so employees and, theoretically, getting constant raises determined by the number of clicks, you would act different too.

By 'Money' I meant all possessions, so if constantly gaining stuff, you would act different.

TL;DR: If you went from being a normal computer enthusiast to having unlimited computer components, you would act different I'm sure.

dude haters gonna hate! For real. Seems like your letting it get to you. Best thing you can do is remember the millions of people who love your stuff. For real bro. I loove this channel. I have been telling my other nerdy friends to watch it. you rock man, keep it up

• 2 weeks later...

Got my like on this video. I won't say I like and share every video–that's disingenuous. I'd like to think of myself as something more than a blind fanboy, but putting out quality content will get my like, so you get it with this one.

With that said, I have a genuine complaint about the titles and descriptions (more so than the thumbnails, but they go hand in hand.) The issue I'm confronted with wasn't spoken about in the video, and given your interest in finding new viewers, I think it's a tenable argument. Because of the clickbait titles, it can be difficult to search for and find content relating to a specific project. "WORLD'S UGLIEST KEYBOARD" may be memorable and get clicks, but without relevant information in the description, it's harder to find when searching and when scrolling through said results. In the case of the keyboard video and Ryzen 5 performance preview, these were non-issues because the important info was in the description, but I'd like to caution against it.