What's up with these shitty thumbnails? - Honest Answers Ep. 5

So, you've probably really seen and hated lots of LTT's clickbait thumbnails. I quite dislike them personally and I want to take a stance against them 

Spoiler

58f88e95a2889_clickbaitlinus.PNG.df5806e9ce9065406ca459b9cd0f85b7.PNG

Well, as Linus correctly identified as informed in his latest entry into the Thumbnail Clickbait Saga, the YouTube algorithm has a solution to fix your issues.

And yes, it is the incredibly important Dislike button. The Dislike Button is significantly more important than the like Button to YouTube. Dislikes cause new videos to be hidden from viewers if there is enough of them.

dislike.PNG.98183b30512582c6cb62c798d8f73175.PNG

Disliking a video causes the video to not be shown which means less people will be able to see the video and less views for LTT. If people commit to disliking videos with bad thumbnails, LTT will lose viewership and hopefully stop producing nasty thumbnails in the future if they wish to gain new viewers. 

1.PNG.a856fd7e7cfd06052b6eb5f464ddb934.PNG

2.PNG.d9b9bbb32ac97aab97cf91d1c86f6ae6.PNG

So please, next time you watch an LTT video, be sure to raise your voice and let it be heard if you're not happy with those cancerous thumbnails.

I can't wait for Linus to get his ass out of his head and start removing clickbait so that I can actually recommend LTT videos to others. This clickbait is making me not recommend people watch LTT videos and have really awesome ideas for other app projects but goddamnit, I can't cos of those damn thumbnails.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I myself have actually found that the thumbnails stand out less among other, similar click bait style thumbnails. Some from completely different genres of content.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

I myself have actually found that the thumbnails stand out less among other, similar click bait style thumbnails. Some from completely different genres of content.

Really? Cos the kind of content I watch on YouTube means that out of all the videos in my feed, these are the most obnoxious by a damn mile.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, Bwithnewcast said:

Use linux, it is free and no bloatware

Bloatware is less of a concern than built in spyware....
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/01/ubuntu-online-search-feature-disabled-16-04

PMSL

Or you could just not care about a thumbnail. Really who actually cares about them anyway? I can't even think of one I have actually paid any attention too ever, on any channel.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Really? Cos the kind of content I watch on YouTube means that out of all the videos in my feed, these are the most obnoxious by a damn mile.

Yep. My subscriptions feed is fucked by click bait thumbnails meaning that I need to go through the subscriptions list manually to prevent my eyes from bleeding. Plenty of channels with good content...but the thumbnails can make looking through them a chore.

PMSL

3 minutes ago, tlink said:

i couldn't care less about thumbnails.

+1

And imho they aren't even very clickbaity. I mean, "GTX1080 in an Ultrawide AiO" shows a GTX1080 in an Ultrawide AiO soooo....?!?!?!

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, IntMD said:

Or you could just not care about a thumbnail. Really who actually cares about them anyway? I can't even think of one I have actually paid any attention too ever, on any channel.

Why are you lying to yourself? if I see videos with Thumbnails which are cancerous, then I really don't wanna watch the video and I can't recommend or share it.

Just now, FloRolf said:

+1

And imho they aren't even very clickbaity. I mean, "GTX1080 in an Ultrawide AiO" shows a GTX1080 in an Ultrawide AiO soooo....?!?!?!

Thumbnail Clickbait. Not Title Clickbait. 

bullshit still smells no matter how hard you try to polish it

LTT has nearly 4mil subscribers, but if you look at how many view each video has got, less than 1/3 of those subs are actually watching LTT content

this is a chart with the views for last 30 videos LTT published over ~1month:

xakWEKg.png

Linus' excuse that cancerous thumbnails and shit titles helps LTT stay afloat ... I don't buy it

you create an audience and keep it engaged with quality content - clearly this isn't happening with LTT as views wieldy fluctuate and doesn't even reach the number of subs

LTT has ~1mil of dedicated viewers, even less if you factor in the fact you don't have to be a subscriber to watch LTT's content

I unsubbed couple of months ago and with the way Linus steers the channel, I have no interest in LTT's videos

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Thumbnail Clickbait. Not Title Clickbait. 

Yes, but the Thumbnail shows exactly whats in the video. So why would it not be the thumbnail?

You just want a plain text as the thumbnail saying the product number of the featured item? 

IMHO It's got nothing to do with clickbait that i'd rather watch a Video called and showing a "Acer Gaming Monitor" instead of "XB281HK bmiprz" 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why are you lying to yourself? if I see videos with Thumbnails which are cancerous, then I really don't wanna watch the video and I can't recommend or share it.

Or you could just not assume something you really have no idea about. I really do pay no attention to thumbnails, I read the titles on videos instead and I really couldn't care less what is in a thumbnail, nor can I understand why people get bent out of shape about a thumbnail even if they do look at them. If the description of a video is completely misleading, then I would care but generally with a couple of exceptions you know exactly what to expect on an LTT video. It isn't a difficult concept to comprehend at all. 

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

bullshit still smells no matter how hard you try to polish it

LTT has nearly 4mil subscribers, but if you look at how many view each video has got, less than 1/3 of those subs are actually watching LTT content

this is a chart with the views for last 30 videos LTT published over ~1month:

xakWEKg.png

Linus' excuse that cancerous thumbnails and shit titles helps LTT stay afloat ... I don't buy it

you create an audience and keep it engaged with quality content - clearly this isn't happening with LTT as views wieldy fluctuate and doesn't even reach the number of subs

LTT has ~1mil of dedicated viewers, even less if you factor in the fact you don't have to be a subscriber to watch LTT's content

I unsubbed couple of months ago and with the way Linus steers the channel, I have no interest in LTT's videos

He addresses this directly, saying that keeping viewers is less important than getting new ones and that clickbait is a better way to bring people in.  

Honestly the only video I ever disliked of LTT was that video they made a big deal out of adding a SSD on an old laptop Luke had, since that video was not only clickbait, thumbnail bait and shallow/empty/pointless altogether then yeah it won my dislike but as long as the videos content is still good I over look the click/thumbnails bait.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, idmb said:

He addresses this directly, saying that keeping viewers is less important than getting new ones and that clickbait is a better way to bring people in.  

then he's an outright idiot

how on earth does the number of subs matter if less than 1/3 of them actually watch the content? if so, why even bother producing new videos? just upload the same shit from last week with a new thumbnail ;)

he will destroy if he continues, he will destroy the channel - mark my words

the trend line already shows he's losing viewers

Untitled.png.4cc8b666c9f5cfaf0767f50fbf0a619a.png

Or seeing as though you seem to have already done that, you could, ya know, not watch them 

I don't care about the thumbnails and boycotting a channel that I like for this petty nonsense is in my opinion morally wrong.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

I don't care about the thumbnails and boycotting a channel that I like for this petty nonsense is in my opinion morally wrong.

Linus Media Group is a Business. You are a supporter of this unethical business behavior so long as you overlook this.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Linus Media Group is a Business. You are a supporter of this unethical business behavior so long as you overlook this.

Unethical..... 

You think those thumbnails are unethical? 

Think someone needs to take a break from the Internet tbh

Perhaps you need to sit down and consider why it is you're getting so worked up about a small image that leads to a video...

The thumbnails are obnoxious and loud, but that's what get's the videos noticed and that's fine by me. I don't even see them thanks to Floatplane, but even on Youtube, they're a small image I'll see for a few seconds before I go to a video. The title is more indicative of the content, and if that's a big ol' lie, then I'm not going to be happy about it (not that LTT really does that, at all), or if the video straight up sucks. Not gonna lie, I've disliked a few LTT videos in the past (pizza heater, or the frog hunting, for example) but only ever because I disliked the actual video. 

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

I don't like clickbait titles and thumbnails. I even unsubbed a while ago because of this. I agree that it is being turned into infotainment with tech at it's core. But it's getting harder to take some of the tech part out of them vids.

When I see a clickbait title/thumbnail on one of LTT's vids, I "watch" it to give thumbs down.

I also go trough all my subbed chanels to look for new content. And if someone is subbed to LTT, why would they need a clickbait title/thumbnail to get them views? Be honest, and get the subs to watch the vid. Close to 4 mil subs, and after a week vids get close to 1 mil views @ best. I'd say: get rid of the clickbait tumbnails and get the titles to be somewhat funny and cover the content whitout getting into the clickbait zone. (and only use caps where needed) Get the subs to watch the content and moar subs will come.

1 minute ago, AUniqueName said:

Unethical..... 

You think those thumbnails are unethical? 

No, I think producing thumbnails for the sake of clickbait because 80% of people who would have watched their videos is not good enough.

If someone wasn't gonna click on your video without cancerous videos then you have a problem with your content and your content is just not good enough.