Weird periodic "artifacts" on Windows 10 boot with new 1080Ti-build

niclas90

Hi LTT forums,

I'm writing in here in the hopes of getting an issue with my new build sorted out.

It was assembled last week, and specs are:

Intel Core i7-7700k

2x8GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz

Samsung EVO 850 500GB M.2 SSD

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition

Asus Z270i Strix Mini-ITX

Corsair SF600 SFX PSU

The issue is that i'm randomly getting some artifacts on windows boot, as shown below. It happens like every other reboot. When it doesn't show up, it boots without issues and the system runs great. I am unsure whether or not this is GPU related because:

1. It shows BIOS-screen with no issues. It happens right when it starts to load windows.

2. When i'm in the system, it runs without issues. I can game for hours on end and put the card through benchmarks (Furmark, 3DMark, UserBenchmark) with no errors at all. 

When it shows the artifacts, it just fails to boot and hangs at a black screen and never moving forward. I've attached an image showing the artifacts, and this video shows exactly when it happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRkDfof1zYI&feature=youtu.be

IMG_0635.JPG

6 minutes ago, niclas90 said:

Hi LTT forums,

I'm writing in here in the hopes of getting an issue with my new build sorted out.

Intel Core i7-7700k

Corsair SF600 SFX PSU

The issue is that i'm randomly getting some artifacts on windows boot, as shown below. It happens like every other reboot. When it doesn't show up, it boots without issues and the system runs great. I am unsure whether or not this is GPU related because:

1. It shows BIOS-screen with no issues. It happens right when it starts to load windows.

2. When i'm in the system, it runs without issues. I can game for hours on end and put the card through benchmarks (Furmark, 3DMark, UserBenchmark) with no errors at all. 

When it shows the artifacts, it just fails to boot and hangs at a black screen and never moving forward. I've attached an image showing the artifacts, and this video shows exactly when it happens:

IMG_0635.JPG

hmm, I'm sure 600 watts is enough, but then again the GTX 1080ti does use a lot power, and you're sure it's only during every other boot it does that? That's very odd, maybe open an RMA with Nvidia for the card, it could be a fault. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

hmm, I'm sure 600 watts is enough, but then again the GTX 1080ti does use a lot power, and you're sure it's only during every other boot it does that? That's very odd, maybe open an RMA with Nvidia for the card, it could be a fault. 

Yes, it's only happening at random times. And when it doesn't happen there are no issues at all. I'm thinking about RMA'ing the GPU, but i'm worried they won't be able to reproduce the issue.

Just now, niclas90 said:

Yes, it's only happening at random times. And when it doesn't happen there are no issues at all. I'm thinking about RMA'ing the GPU, but i'm worried they won't be able to reproduce the issue.

send a picture of the problem and basically copy paste what you wrote in the post there, that should be enough for them to test, chances are they will just a special test jig to test the card, they don't usually run them in actual systems to test. If you live near an authorised Nvidia reseller (I don't know if they even exist as nvidia doesn't usually make that many cards) they should be able to replace a card under warranty as you bring the system with you and they can see first hand, but like I said, I don't know of any. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

send a picture of the problem and basically copy paste what you wrote in the post there, that should be enough for them to test, chances are they will just a special test jig to test the card, they don't usually run them in actual systems to test. If you live near an authorised Nvidia reseller (I don't know if they even exist as nvidia doesn't usually make that many cards) they should be able to replace a card under warranty as you bring the system with you and they can see first hand, but like I said, I don't know of any. 

Thank you for the advice. This is probably the way i have to go. I was just hoping it could be software-related.

Just now, niclas90 said:

Thank you for the advice. This is probably the way i have to go. I was just hoping it could be software-related.

well, drivers are not usually loaded on the boot screen like that, that seems like a hardware thing, but if you want back up your files and do a clean install of windows and the drivers, and try Ubuntu too, it handles GPUs differently and I had a hard time getting some Nvidia GPUs to stable overclocks on it despite them working fine on Windows, overclocking is done differently on Linux though. 

Yours faithfully

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

well, drivers are not usually loaded on the boot screen like that, that seems like a hardware thing, but if you want back up your files and do a clean install of windows and the drivers, and try Ubuntu too, it handles GPUs differently and I had a hard time getting some Nvidia GPUs to stable overclocks on it despite them working fine on Windows, overclocking is done differently on Linux though. 

I've already tried with a clean install of Windows. I'll probably run DDU and install an older driver or a beta driver and see. It that doesn't work i'll RMA it. 

I have the exact same problem. I just recently bought a new asus motherboard, cpu, and m.2 ssd. My gpu never had problems on my other setup which makes me think this isnt a gpu problem? I really dont know. Some help would be great.

On 4/19/2017 at 6:42 AM, niclas90 said:

Hi LTT forums,

Intel Core i7-7700k

Corsair SF600 SFX PSU

IMG_0635.JPG

This is most definitely a software issue related to the new Windows creators update. I posit that the creators update conflicts with the latest Nvidia driver causing it to crash on startup. The same exact artifacts that you are getting once in a while happens to me on my 980 ti whenever I boot into windows (usually after it was resting overnight). The only thing I changed was installing windows onto a new hard drive. Whenever it boots in flawlessly I can game or benchmark it without any issues. Do not waste your time RMAing anything just wait for Nvidia to release a driver fix.

Made an account just for this thread. I have very similar setup to OP's: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/LiL_BrOwNiE247/saved/D9xkLk

My system was running great until I took the Creators Update, after which I started experiencing many glitches and unexpected slowdowns. I did a clean install of the Creators Update this weekend, and the first few reboots were very snappy (1 second transition from login screen to desktop). After installing a few of my key programs and restarting to complete installation, the same login to desktop transition took over 10 seconds. I didn't take note of which programs I installed in the first batch but I'm pretty sure GeForce Experience + 381.65 drivers were in there somewhere. The next day, after ~9 hours of being shut down, I turn on my computer to get the same artifacting stripe as OP's picture. When it artifacts I'm also stuck at a black screen unable to move forward, and when I'm in Windows I'm also able to use it normally and run benchmarks without problems. I did notice that my userbenchmark score for the 1080 Ti was "below expectations", compared to a score of "way above expectations" when I ran the same test pre-Creators Update.

It's safe to say that the Creators Update and Nvidia drivers don't get along. Nvidia put out hotfix drivers (381.78) addressing a notebook related issue, but it might be worth giving a shot. I've also seen people on other forums claim that reverting to older drivers (378.66, 378.92) has fixed the problem for them. Personally, I'm going to try DDU + hotfix drivers, and if that doesn't work then I'll just wait for Nvidia to release new official drivers instead of doing trial and error with older drivers to see what works.

I'm having the exact same issue with my build, only happens after a cold boot and it's fine after a hard reset. My Nvidia drivers are up to date.

My build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7QYZKZ

EDIT: this only started occuring after the creators update.

hi,

same problem here with 1080ti fe (381.89) even tried different board CPU and RAM.

Also slow login in Windows and shutdown takes a long time (with black screen)

Getting some event id 4101 display driver errors in the event log.

display_problem.JPG.f8ff21ef16401b51691fac34609dc242.JPG

Got the same problem, Predator x34 and with a MSI 980. Did not happen when I used an old HP monitor with DP. Running creators update and latest Nvidia drivers.

I have the same situation

Look at my pictures and film:

https://goo.gl/photos/oECM65HaB84SznXZ8

https://goo.gl/photos/xM1MHFVBn49Z2zCt6

I use in my monitor 144 Hz and 2k resolution. With older nvidia's driver - it is the same situation. But someone advised me to disable Fast Startup in Windows 10:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disab...in-windows-10/

- and last 2 days I had not this artifact when Windows was started. Of course 2 days without this artifact it is too short time. I asked Nvidia about this problem - and now I'm waiting for their answer...

And my computer:

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming; i7-6700K; Scythe Grand Kama Cross 3; DDR4 HyperX Fury 32 GB 2666MHz; MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X; Asus Xonar DX; Dell S2716DG; be quiet! 600W Pure Power 9; SSD GOODRAM Iridium PRO 240 GB; Toshiba P300 3 TB; WD Red 2 TB (WD20EFRX); Lian Li PC-V33A; Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I am also getting this problem too. I have tried 5 different graphics cards, 4 different model/make monitors with DP, two motherboards, 3 DP cables, 3 PSU, 2 sets of ram sticks and its still happening right before windows starts. Its been going on for two weeks now, which is why I had all this time to RMA my graphics cards and PSU, and motherboard. It only happens it seems over display port as I have not been able to recreate it over hdmi or dvi. I have also tried to reinstall windows, and nothing :(. 

IMG_9849.PNG

Check your displayport cable, if pin20 is active it's faulty and not using the standard which can cause the problems you guys are experiencing. 

More info here:

https://hardforum.com/threads/displayport-cables-must-not-use-pin-20-warning.1803684/ (English)

http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/trad/1453075-varning-for-vissa-displayport-kablar-kan-skada-gpu?p=1 (Swedish)

Hey guys i have the same issue.

Setup 

Gtx 1070 from kfa2 (galax)

Ryzen 5 1600

Asus x370 prime

Nvidia live support is not aware of this problem! At least the one i chatted with

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys also having the same problem after the recent windows 10 update. I am somewhat relieved that this seems to be a nvidia/ windows update issue rather than hardware as I have been troubleshooting all night over this. Like you guys this only happens after a cold boot and cannot be recreated after a hard reset. Literally the exact same pattern as the pictures above.

Build:

Intel I7 6700K, Msi GTX 1080 Gaming X, 16GB Corsiar Vengeance, 250GB SSD, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, 1440P Asus Rog Swift 144Hz Gsync monitor 27', 1080p Accer XB240B 144Hz G sync monitor 24'

• 3 months later...

Hi, Im having the same issues with GTX 1080 Ti, since new windows 10 update (a week or so ago). 
I was trying to find a solution by experimenting with hardware, I am running my GPU together with an overclocked ASUS ROG PG279Q 165Hz, i tried to set it up back to normal 144Hz and the problem was gone. I guess its is some kind of Win10+Nvidia+MonitorOverclock glitch. Before the update everything was in order!

• 1 year later...

Just had the same issue less than an hour ago, first time ever. And it was about 3 days after a Nvida GTX1060 update. Didn't fail to load or anything but it did worry me. They usually release a new update every other week so I think I can wait it out. Just wanted to come in and say thanks for all the information.

• 9 months later...

Glad I came across this thread today as yesterday I experience this exact issue myself for the first time. I also see a lot of similarities in my own personal set up. I'm running a 2560 x 1440 resolution on a newer custom PC build. Monitor is a 165hz 32" Acer Predator (running at 144hz).

Build is: Intel 9900k, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FW3 Ultra, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (DDR4-3000), EVGA SuperNova G3 850W PSU, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2, Asus Maximus XI Code motherboard and some case fans. Just built in May 2019.

I've noticed a couple odd instances (maybe 3 boot ups ever and I use my PC every day) where it wouldn't boot to Windows automatically and gave an error it could not locate Windows. Oddly enough, a full shut down, flipping the switch on the back of the PSU and power back on resolved each instance. Not sure if related, but mentioning anyway.

Now the issue in this thread occurred yesterday for me. I saw the similar artifacts (my covered half the screen) immediately upon boot. Even the ASUS Bios splashscreen had artifacts all the way to Windows login and desktop. My immediate reaction was my GPU was fried or had overheated somehow. I tried my usual fix and rebooted. Same problem.

Now I tried shutting down, flipping the PSU switch, removing PSU cable from tower, plugging back in, flipping switch on PSU back on and then booting up. Artifacts gone.

However, once I was on my desktop I had noticed my wallpaper had reverted to the standard one rather than the animated 3D one I use in Wallpaper Engine. I went back and enabled it again. First thing I noticed was it was choppy. That signaled there was a graphics issues. I right clicked on the desktop in attempt to open the Nvidia control panel and noticed it was no longer available. Yet doing a search for it still found it in my PC. Though I could not open it. 

I re-downloaded the latest drivers and did the express set up. Upon installation everything worked fine again. My settings were still retained in the Nvidia control panel as well. I also gamed for an extended period with zero issues or artifacts.I'll be testing my PC again tonight to see if this re-occurs. 

20200202_151327_resized.jpg

Mine is doing that every boot now^^^

its gonna be the drivers. I’ve swapped the cards and it still does it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I had a notification for a new driver today. On boot up everything was fine today. I installed the new driver and fingers crossed.