[I'll make it fit] Copper pipe water cooling in Node 202 (also, my first build)

Congrats on getting it all up and running.

In terms of cutting holes to get the case back on you could keep the rad > cpu pipe as it currently is, then rotate the reservoir so the inlet faces the front of the case and perhaps use a couple of 90 degree fittings to clear the pump and drop the pipe level down to the fitting coming from the radiator so you can connect them with a very short run.

That way you are really only looking at cutting a hole large enough for the circumference of the radiator plus 1 fitting (assuming it plays out the way it does in my head!).

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

Beautiful. 

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k. MOBO: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon. RAM: 32Gb DDR4 Team Group Dark Pro 3k . GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTWx2. Storage: 64GB SSD, 250GB SSD,480GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD. PSU: EVGA Supanova 750W G2. Case: NZXT H440 Matte Black. Screens: Acer Predator X34 @ 100Hz & AOC 24" G2460F 144hz. KB: Logi G810 Orion Sprectrum. Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB Audio: Edifier S550's & ASTRO A50's. Console Peasant?: PS4 & XBone.

@SonoDanshi Yeah, you make a good point. I actually just ordered 4 female to female 90 degree fittings and I've got 4 compression fittings left. I think I can do a whole bunch of configurations with those so I'll play around when I have them in hand. If I could get the bottom of the reservoir below the top of the case, there would be no hole left underneath it (if that makes sense).

@SidewinderB4 Thanks, I appreciate that. It'll look a whole lot better when the lid is on and I put a tempered glass panel in over the mobo. Also, the cables aren't how I'd like them and some tasteful lighting is needed.

@SidewinderB4 Also, if you haven't already you should check out @SonoDanshi's Node 202 build. I couldn't have done this without his help and work on that build.

It's here

If you want to drop the level of the res then you could always use a m-M rotary fitting like the one below. I'll join the pump to the res, drop the height and allow you to rotate the res to any location you want.

XSPC rotary

If that is too low then you can pad one side out with some M-F extenders to get the desired height.

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Nah man, @SonoDanshi's build has nothing on yours. Still looks good though. :)

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k. MOBO: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon. RAM: 32Gb DDR4 Team Group Dark Pro 3k . GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTWx2. Storage: 64GB SSD, 250GB SSD,480GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD. PSU: EVGA Supanova 750W G2. Case: NZXT H440 Matte Black. Screens: Acer Predator X34 @ 100Hz & AOC 24" G2460F 144hz. KB: Logi G810 Orion Sprectrum. Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB Audio: Edifier S550's & ASTRO A50's. Console Peasant?: PS4 & XBone.

@SonoDanshi Ordered that fitting and some other bits and pieces. Won't be able to put things together for a few days, have to empty the loop and pack everything up in the meantime.

@SidewinderB4 Let's wait and see. He's set the bar pretty high if you ask me.

What's going on then? I need closure!

Ha, I've been traveling around. Getting back home tomorrow night and I've ordered a male to male G1/4 extension so I can test fit the res in the new position. I also got an LED strip which I'll mount after trimming down the cables which are way too long.

I have a few days off work and all this weekend also so I'll be working on this the whole time pretty much. Will have access to more tools etc. so will be able to cut the hole in the case and get a little more accurate with the bends.

I'll probably put together a long build log type post also with more picture etc. for others wanting to do something like this. I'll keep you posted, can't wait to get back working on this build.

Ha, my mistake. Wrong thread. Yeah, I removed the standoffs which is what you see in that picture, unfortunately.

Going to stare at it for a while until I think of something.

I know this all runs the costs up really high but what about a regular 90degree M-F fitting on top of the pump (so remove the rotary) and then use other 45 or 90degree fittings to rotate around to the right direction (depending on where the original 90 finishes up and how much space you have).

Can you repost the picture so I have reference material in this thread as well?

Some more surgery, this time with a Dremel. Will clean it all up tomorrow.

591b92d382876_2017-05-1617_53_11.thumb.jpg.6f6997e03693713475817448138bb421.jpg

OK, much progress has been made. I redid the runs so it makes much more sense. I have two right angle fittings left over I so I might replace the long windy run with something straighter, not sure yet.

591da3ab4cca4_2017-05-1715_31_55.thumb.jpg.1b3738c14a715e061b3037f6c4cf761b.jpg

OK, now you can see what I'm dealing with. I had a bunch of leaks yesterday that required some minor disassembly and changing / addition of O-rings.

I thought I'd nailed the problem with the fittings being too high by swapping some around. This only lasted about an hour when I realized the front I/O had been removed which was shaving off that >5mm. So I've basically moved the problem to the rad output / res input run. Those two orange fittings sit above the height of the case. The black 90 is also slightly above the case.

591db7609b0ae_Screenshot2017-05-1816_01_27.thumb.png.2af24b35626024b673531ddbf1713a39.png

This is the current plan. I could buy some more fittings and get it under but I don't mind it not being super clean. I think the fittings will look pretty sweet sticking out a tiny bit. I should be able to get it to fit pretty good with the dremel and I'll mask everything off so I don't scratch up the case.

One weird thing is that two different CPU temperature monitors are reading the CPU as 0 degrees which I think is impossible. Maybe something is miscalibrated? Haven't checked in the UEFI, will look later. In any case it's running much cooler to the touch than before, I think I cocked up the thermal paste when I had the initial CPU block nightmare episode (maybe it dried a bit before I finally get it seated). Pipes now are room temp.

It's starting to look a little like a tube amp now ;)

tube_amp_1.jpg

It's a shame the fittings are slightly too high imo, but the tube runs are definitely far better than they were.

Yeah, I think I actually have some old tubes lying around from my guitar amp. I wonder what it would take to power them.

The cable management is bothering me. It's not as clean as it could be. There is a bunch of room behind the pump but the 24 pin is still squashed in a way I don't prefer. Will think about it after work.

I just saw a thing saying that AMD chips act weird with temperature monitoring software, that sounds about right to me.

OK, I got the hole cut and also a channel the the fittings going into the reservoir. The plastic on the underside of the lid is about 3mm so that was JUST enough for me to get the lid screwed down.

As a general comment, there are probably a bunch of areas of that underside plastic that could be cut out that wouldn't affect rigidity but would provide more space. 3mm, more anyway.

I've temporarily used electric tape around the inside of the hole to prevent scratching the reservoir. I will find a more permanent and attractive solution. Unfortunately I scratch the front of the case a little cutting the hole. I might be able to do something about that.

I'm going to try and move the LED strip around so it lights up the reservoir a little better, then I'll take some night shots.

IMG_2720.thumb.JPG.dd5519f42c4b062c1a14bb1f6bd759a7.JPG

IMG_2719.thumb.JPG.2e0308c7183036e82657ab0bd8c60505.JPG

IMG_2718.thumb.JPG.9c41c1235a88171ee650c6e7c6d9fb04.JPG

Things I would do next time

1. 3-1 heat shrink for heat shrink-less custom cables
  2. Aluminium cable combs
  3. Custom length cables
  4. Fan headers and front I/O headers under the motherboard
  5. Sleeve cables all one color except one accent color
  6. Sleeve power extension wires individually and then heat shrink together at the ends
  7. Increase size of hole between GPU and motherboard
  8. Sleeve from motherboard end so that part is organized and the PSU end is a mess
  9. Sleeve and shorten USB 3.0 header
  10. Corsair 450w SFX PSU instead of the Silverstone one
  11. Drill out the rivets for the case divider between the PSU and the rad / fan
  12. Low profile 240 radiator
  13. Dual low profile 120 fans
  14. Use 1/4 inch copper pipe
    1. Thread is so that I don’t need any fittings
    2. Use thick frosted perspex to make a 4x 1/4” to 1/2” tapped holes. Use male to male rotating fitting to connect 1/2” size to components (pump / CPU block)
  15. Put clear plastic pebbles in the reservoir, or something in there that is hella classy
  16. Use longer reservoir that is laying on it’s side above the case, have a rectangular hole underneath it so you can take the lid off
  17. Put in an extended glass side panel so you can see the whole motherboard area and the back of the PSU. This would create on side of the reservoir cutout being steel and the other being glass / perspex

Definitely going to build in the 202 again, only just feel like I'm getting the hang of his case and what can be done in it.

The Silverstone PSU is super loud. The fan running pretty high even when idling, I heard the Corsair one was better but I haven't verified that.