Going from Windows 7 to 10

The Price is Rice

So I upgraded my pc complete with kaby lake and Z270 a few months ago and reused my windows 7 OS. Then Microsoft goes and craps on me with 0 future support for W7. Should I upgrade to 10 now? If so what are some things i can do to get it to run without all of microsofts junk background stuff. I've heard quite a few horror stories about 10. 

Switching to 10 will be more stable than trying to stay on 7. Or you can always dual boot into some flavor of linux!

Just now, Sneakyjap said:

So I upgraded my pc complete with kaby lake and Z270 a few months ago and reused my windows 7 OS. Then Microsoft goes and craps on me with 0 future support for W7. Should I upgrade to 10 now? If so what are some things i can do to get it to run without all of microsofts junk background stuff. I've heard quite a few horror stories about 10. 

Windows 10 isn't that bad, at least once you remove all of the microsoft crap, like preinstalled apps, and disabling cortana, for new CPU's windows 10 will have good performance, as they have drivers for the CPU's on 10. The only thing I might say to do is remove alot of preinstalled apps and disable a few settings. 

Delta R5 Build

CPU: AMD RYZEN 1600 Purchased

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS  Purchased

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3000MHX (2X8GB) Purchased

CPU COOLER: DeepCool GAMMAXX 400 GT RGB Purchased

GPU: Gigabyte Xtreme Aorus 6gb GTX 1060 Purchased

Case: NZXT S340 (White) Purchased

PSU: EVGA 550B3 Purchased

HDD: WD Blue 1TB  Purchased

SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB Purchased

Wifi Card: Asus PCE-N15 PCI-E 1X Purchased

--BUILD READY--

3 minutes ago, Doughmay said:

Windows 10 isn't that bad, at least once you remove all of the microsoft crap, like preinstalled apps, and disabling cortana, for new CPU's windows 10 will have good performance, as they have drivers for the CPU's on 10. The only thing I might say to do is remove alot of preinstalled apps and disable a few settings. 

Removing the bloatware and disabling Telemetry (If you care for that) is something some users will do. 

Here is a tutorial for how to remove the Windows 10 Apps you won't probably use. If by chance you do, skip the line that you wish to keep. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/easily-remove-bloatware-windows-10/

For disabling Telemetry, here is a different tutorial. http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10/

All of my issues with Windows 10 were on upgrades from Windows 7 and 8.1. A clean install is the best option when it comes to making Windows 10 stable.

-KuJoe

Admittedly i know nothing of linux and how to use it. Im not sure i want to go that route. Thanks xyeameax those tutorials seem like they remove alot of the Microsoft garbage. Does anyone else think anything else can be removed or changed to make it better? 

Regarding Windows 7, if you uninstall (and block) update KB 4012218, the description for which is "Enabled detection of processor generation and hardware support when PC tries to scan or download updates through Windows Update", it should re-able Windows Update on your Kaby Lake PC.

Also, people with newer CPUs can still get Win 7 / 8 updates through WSUS Offline.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Regarding Windows 7, if you uninstall (and block) update KB 4012218, the description for which is "Enabled detection of processor generation and hardware support when PC tries to scan or download updates through Windows Update", it should re-able Windows Update on your Kaby Lake PC.

Also, people with newer CPUs can still get Win 7 / 8 updates through WSUS Offline.

But I thought windows just wasn't going to make an future updates for 7. So how can re-enabling updates help if there are no more updates? 

1 hour ago, Sneakyjap said:

But I thought windows just wasn't going to make an future updates for 7. So how can re-enabling updates help if there are no more updates? 

Windows 7 will continue to receive security updates until January 2020.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987