American Laptop to Switzerland

Jogostar
Go to solution Solved by AkiraDaarkst,
5 minutes ago, Jogostar said:

Alright looks like it say 100-240 50-60, so nothing is required besides the plug right?

Nope.  Nothing else is needed except an outlet pin adapter.  But if her laptop power pin is only 2 pin with round pins, she won't even need an adapter since it should fit the Swiss 3 pin outlet.

This kind of connector will fit a standard Swiss 3 pin outlet.

4076519-European-two-pin-power-plug-CEE-

Hello Folks!

So my girlfirend is visiting me from America, and she'll be bringing her laptop along.

I was wondering if it's simple plug and go or if I have to get like a transformer or something since America uses 120 and Switzerland uses 240.

Thanks for any help!

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

1 minute ago, Jogostar said:

Hello Folks!

So my girlfirend is visiting me from America, and she'll be bringing her laptop along.

I was wondering if it's simple plug and go or if I have to get like a transformer or something since America uses 120 and Switzerland uses 240.

Thanks for any help!

If the power adapter for her laptop is a dual voltage one, she won't need a transformer.  However if it's only single voltage (and most laptop power adapters are dual voltage these days) then she will need one.  And she will also need to have an outlet adapter since the Swiss power connectors are usually 3 pin. Forget what I said about 3 pin, I misread as she is visiting America from Switzerland.  An American 2 pin power plug with round pins should fit into the 3 pin Swiss outlet.  Just no Ground pin.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

If the power adapter for her laptop is a dual voltage one, she won't need a transformer.  However if it's only single voltage (and most laptop power adapters are dual voltage these days) then she will need one.  And she will also need to have an outlet adapter since the Swiss power connectors are usually 3 pin.

We have an adapter, made sure of that.

How do I check if it's dual or single voltage?

1 minute ago, Jogostar said:

We have an adapter, made sure of that.

How do I check if it's dual or single voltage?

Read the label on the power adapter brick, does it say 110-120v 60hz only or 110-240v 50/60hz?

See the text near the bottom left area of this photo of a power brick.   Below the big 200W text, it says 100-240V 50-60hz.  This is a dual voltage adapter.

hp-laptop-power-adapter-label.jpg

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Read the label on the power adapter brick, does it say 110-120v 60hz only or 110-240v 50/60hz?

Alright looks like it say 100-240 50-60, so nothing is required besides the plug right?

5 minutes ago, Jogostar said:

Nope.  Nothing else is needed except an outlet pin adapter.  But if her laptop power pin is only 2 pin with round pins, she won't even need an adapter since it should fit the Swiss 3 pin outlet.

This kind of connector will fit a standard Swiss 3 pin outlet.

4076519-European-two-pin-power-plug-CEE-

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

Nope.

Great, thanks for the help!

Gruss aus Zürich.

2 minutes ago, Jogostar said:

Great, thanks for the help!

Gruss aus Zürich.

De rien.

Gruss aus Genf.