How to: LGA 775 BSEL Mod (Overclocking with tape!)

WOW!! Had no Fing CLUE in my mind, this thread would reside on this vast forum. 

Why does not this type of content be stickied?? lol

Let me insert some useful additional information while commenting to actually stay on the subject of BSEL mods.

Conductive Pen ----> 

775 BSEL mod.png

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Luis Filipe da Silva said:

Eu tenho um xeon e 5420 adaptado para 775. eu consigo fazer esse processo?

Translation (roughly):

I have a xeon 5420 adapted for 775. can i do this process?

elephants

On 4/5/2021 at 7:54 PM, Luis Filipe da Silva said:

Eu tenho um xeon e 5420 adaptado para 775. eu consigo fazer esse processo?

On 4/5/2021 at 10:52 PM, FakeKGB said:

Translation (roughly):

I have a xeon 5420 adapted for 775. can i do this process?

You will have to do the 1333MHz to 1600MHz BSEL mod  (the one in my original post will not work). There should be information on the mod, even for 771 CPUs adapted to 775 if you spend some time googling.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

• 4 weeks later...

For locked BIOS computers the Q6600 SLACR at 3.0GHz works on the stock Voltage. The Q6700 often needs more Voltage to work.

Most computers that support the 333fsb can run the Q9650 which is better. So it's somewhat outdated.

Another known good option is the E7500 2 core @ 3.67GHz. This works at stock Voltage also. Again the E7600 @ 3.86GHz is hit or miss due to Voltage issues.

This provides a faster clock than the E8600. Also it can be done on smaller USFF/SFF computers that may have a 65W CPU limit.

The 400fsb mod has only been confirmed on P45,X38, and x48 chipsets.

The mod would be the same for LGA771 except the notches in the CPU are moved. But they all have 333fsb already,  The 400fsb LGA775 .chipset that supports the LGA771 Xeon mod is the P45. At the unofficial 400 fsb the memory multiplier is known to be little wonky. Whether any Xeons can handle the speed bump without extra Voltage is unknown.

Another approach to this is to use Throttlestop software to turn the multiplier down so there is no overclock when you increase the FSB by the BSEL mod. Then slowly raise the multiplier back up and see how far your CPU can go. If you have a computer that supports the 400fsb there are a lot of possibilities here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! would this work on a q965 chipset?(1033 bus cpus max) I guess it won't but it's worth the try asking:D

I wanted to try it on a Dell optiplex 745.

Thanks!

(WARN!!! SORRY FOR MY CHEAP ENGLISH I DON'T SPEAK IT PROPERLY, ALSO I USED TRANSLATOR TO SEE IF THIS IS UNDERSTANDABLE)

Hey! You know if this mod has a Motherboard limitations? 
For example, in the case that the chipset don't support the 1333 MHz FSB, this could work?
I have an optiplex 745 SFF with a core 2 duo E6300 and i want to increase the power.  I try this mod a few days ago, but, the pc dont wanted to boot or show video,  only power. Like the pc wasn't recognized the procesor.

On 3/17/2018 at 4:24 PM, oskarha said:

There are other similar mods for CPUs with 800MHz and 1333MHz FSBs.

To make the tape mod in the E5500 I have to cover the pins with the tape as indicated in this image? (800 to 1066)

775 BSEL mod.png

• 2 months later...
On 12/19/2020 at 8:51 AM, Katerang31 said:

It did not change anything.. still 2.4GHz

i also have an Q6600..Asrock G41C-GS R2.0 mobo using 2x4GB DDR2 800 pc2-6400

should i change the FSB1 Jumper to the DDR3 ?

should i change and what should i change something in the BIOS?

I had the same problem with mine, until I put multiple pieces of scotch tape. If you do not have high quality electrical tape, it will not work well. So many layers of a lower quality thinner tape will do the same thing as a single layer of high quality electrical tape.

• 2 weeks later...

would this work on a stock cooler? (q6600)

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2021 at 6:14 AM, adarw said:

would this work on a stock cooler? (q6600)

mybe? im using the intel stock cooler, the less shitty shitty one (more aluminum than modern, no copper slug) and it works, but ive not done a long stress on it.

but if it works now on the cooler, it will work fter, this keeps the same powerdrw.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 12:23 PM, ChristianTheTechGuy said:

Does it work on 1333ghz FSB like the Q9550? or its only for 1066ghz FBS

Yes.

On 10/30/2021 at 12:23 PM, ChristianTheTechGuy said:

Does it work on 1333ghz FSB like the Q9550? or its only for 1066ghz FBS

you shul dbe able to do that with a slightly diffrent mod.

Something like this should be fine

image.png.a9f130b81fd042f1226bc42009a002ed.png

This should put the BSEL in a HHL, should make the cpu run at 1600mhz FSB

the yello is conductive, the black is a peice of tape covering the pad.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler