[Build Help] My 1080 Ti won't fit on the PCIx16 b/c of my noctua cooler

I've read that u can expect up to 30% performance loss by switching to PCIe 3.0 x8 vs. x16. Is that true? If so, What should I do? I thought these would all fit :(

edit- Thank you everyone for the help.

No, not true at all. The difference is 1%, max.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

8x WILL BE FINE
trust us

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

Whoever told you that youre gonna lose 30% performance going to an x8 3.0 slot has 30% of their brain missing.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

1 minute ago, Ostwind said:

Whoever told you that youre gonna lose 30% performance going to an x8 3.0 slot has 30% of their brain missing.

Or they're just dumb.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

lmao.

What about pcie 2.0 tho?

Not true, PCIe 3.0 8x is still enough for any single GPU card on the market, though we are getting to a point where some cards are getting close to maxing it out under "ideal" conditions. 

Just now, Rallenhayestime said:

lmao.

What about pcie 2.0 tho?

8x PCIe 2.0 would limit the card. PCIe 2.0 16x is the same bandwidth as 3.0 8x, so wouldn't affect it. 

Just now, Rallenhayestime said:

lmao.

What about pcie 2.0 tho?

Here's an idea of what happens on each number of lanes of each revision.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/

Expect a 1080 Ti to behave around the same.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

8x PCIe 2.0 would limit the card. PCIe 2.0 16x is the same bandwidth as 3.0 8x, so wouldn't affect it. 

But how much so?

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Here's an idea of what happens on each number of lanes of each revision.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/

Expect a 1080 Ti to behave around the same.

thats the site that put that posted that recently, i couldnt for the life of me remember which one had done it so i had to go with older sources that I could remember.

ok thank you guys so much ! I got another question. So i booted my pc for the first time! yay! but in the BIOS the CPU is going up to 100~114 degrees.. Did I apply the thermal compound wrong or something? I only put an uncooked rice amount

Just now, jjsung said:

ok thank you guys so much ! I got another question. So i booted my pc for the first time! yay! but in the BIOS the CPU is going up to 100~114 degrees.. Did I apply the thermal compound wrong or something? I only put an uncooked rice amount

Yeah sounds like a bad application or more likely bad pressure on the cooler from a bad installation.

Take the cooler off and put it back in.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, jjsung said:

did you take the plastic off the coolers baseplate before you put it on?(only applicable if using an aftermarket unit)

did you take the plastic off the coolers baseplate before you put it on?(only applicable if using an aftermarket unit)

the really big plastic thing? OS was tehre another plastic film on top of the cooler... I guess I'll have to tkae it apart

5 minutes ago, jjsung said:

Applying the TIM wrong is very unlikely to make the temps that high. Most likely case is improper mounting/contact, or you accidentally left the plastic film on the cooler. Take the cooler off, check if there's a film on it and remove it if there is. If not, reapply the cooler and tighten the screws in a cross pattern, so don't tighten two screws on the same side one after the other. 

EDIT: Film would be on the plate that makes contact with the CPU. 

1 minute ago, jjsung said:

the really big plastic thing? OS was tehre another plastic film on top of the cooler... I guess I'll have to tkae it apart

the baseplate is the part that touches the cpu with the thermal paste in between. Most if not all aftermarket coolers have a plastic film on it to protect it prior to installation. Even if you took that off it still sounds like you need to remount the cooler because it smells like a bad mount.

@Ostwind @Oshino Shinobu If I applied thermal paste 30 mins ago, can I stiill reuse it? I don't have any alcohol at my house. only 70% isopropyl alchol and a microfiber cloth

@Ostwind @Oshino Shinobu If I applied thermal paste 30 mins ago, can I stiill reuse it? I don't have any alcohol at my house. only 70% isopropyl alchol and a microfiber cloth

you really really shoudnt reuse it, you can but its gonna be just as bad or worse since it will introduce air bubbles, also 70% is enough

20 minutes ago, jjsung said:

C or F

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, Ostwind said:

you really really shoudnt reuse it, you can but its gonna be just as bad or worse since it will introduce air bubbles, also 70% is enough

I meant to say 70% alchol SWAB...

I meant to say 70% alchol SWAB...

well a swab should work if you have enough of them to get it clean. If you dont think  that you do then you should go get some, even 50% would do you just have to wait longer for it to dry.

well a swab should work if you have enough of them to get it clean. If you dont think  that you do then you should go get some, even 50% would do you just have to wait longer for it to dry.

ok, also I took my cooler off and there was no plastic. I guess just bad mounting job?