Tabs may be everywhere in future Windows

WMGroomAK

Windows Central is reporting that a new feature called 'Tabbed Shell' may be coming to Windows in a future update.  From the Windows Central article:

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-tabbed-shell

Per our sources, Tabbed Shell is a feature being worked on at an OS level, and doesn't require work from app developers to take advantage of it. By default, Tabbed Shell works with any app window, whether it be Photoshop, File Explorer, or Microsoft Word. Any UWP, Win32 or Centennial app will work. Much like in Edge, you'll find a tabbed interface at the top of a window where you can switch between instances of the same app.

Basically, this would allow you to group multiple instances of a program into a single tabbed window or separate those tabs out into their own instance.  As for when we may see this, Ars Technica is reporting from Windows Central

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/tabs-could-be-coming-not-only-to-explorer-but-everywhere/

Windows Central's sources are uncertain on when Tabbed Shell will materialize. It is claimed to be considered for both the Redstone 3 and Redstone 4 timeframes. Redstone 3 is due in about six months, with Redstone 4 coming a further six months on.

Personally, I will be really glad to see something like this for at least the Office productivity suite and Windows Explorer.  Will hopefully make it a lot easier for manipulating data between different instances of Word, Excel and Explorer for me at least and should still have the ability to just drag out an instance into a separate screen to do a side by side comparison.  

I hate grouping and tabs, drives me up the wall on just about everything that isnt a browser. It just ends up being extra clicks in order to get to the thing i want, instead of just clicking the window i want off the task bar or using alt+tab, etc. I must be in the minority but i really dont see how people like this set up.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Isn't something like this similar to mission control on osx where the apps get their own tab next to the spaces?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

It would be amazing for explorer. No more need to install Clover.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Is the taskbar not enough?

Are people really so unorganized that they need tabs inside their tabs?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

21 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Windows Central is reporting that a new feature called 'Tabbed Shell' may be coming to Windows in a future update.  From the Windows Central article:

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-tabbed-shell

Basically, this would allow you to group multiple instances of a program into a single tabbed window or separate those tabs out into their own instance.  As for when we may see this, Ars Technica is reporting from Windows Central

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/tabs-could-be-coming-not-only-to-explorer-but-everywhere/

Personally, I will be really glad to see something like this for at least the Office productivity suite and Windows Explorer.  Will hopefully make it a lot easier for manipulating data between different instances of Word, Excel and Explorer for me at least and should still have the ability to just drag out an instance into a separate screen to do a side by side comparison.  

1n9dlg.jpg

Just now, Teddy07 said:

Who in gods name even use apps? I certainly not.

I mostly use programs but I don't see an issue with calling them apps.

You could call them thingies for all I care.

Also tabs in explorer! I'm all for that, but I wouldn't pay the price of having to re-do my telemetry permissions and have to disable Cortana every 22 hours so I'll stay on the January build which is when I disabled Windows Update

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

32 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

I hate grouping and tabs, drives me up the wall on just about everything that isnt a browser. It just ends up being extra clicks in order to get to the thing i want, instead of just clicking the window i want off the task bar or using alt+tab, etc. I must be in the minority but i really dont see how people like this set up.

how is clicking a window in the task bar less clicks than clicking a tab? It's the same amount of clicks. One. And seeing as most of the control me for programs are at the top its less of a move to change a tab than moving to the bottom. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

32 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Indeed everybody is keeping tabs on windows, the NSA included -snip-

Woah, hold up... back up a moment here. WTF is this and can someone supply some context? I mean, Edward Snowden just linked to a serious hack released by a brony.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Soo... Tabs in Explorer? Just like the tabs that were in MacOS' Finder for years? I missed that big time when I switched back to Windows.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Using clover I have had tabs in explorer for years, its one of the things that should have been in windows natively years ago, i can imagine it would be very useful in office and multimedia editing software too.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

45 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

how is clicking a window in the task bar less clicks than clicking a tab? It's the same amount of clicks. One. And seeing as most of the control me for programs are at the top its less of a move to change a tab than moving to the bottom. 

As in: if i am in program A and i want to go to a specific instance of program B, instead of just clicking one bar on the task bar i will now need to click the bar representing all instances of program B and then click the specific tab of program B i want if its not selected. So an extra step.

Im not saying its the end of the world, but from a UI design perspective it pisses me off. Its the same irritations that i feel when all the Office products moved initially to the ribbon bar because it consistently added extra steps to find basic functionality. UI updates should never increase the action depth tree, it just causes more user frustration and confusion.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

32 minutes ago, Qub3d said:

Woah, hold up... back up a moment here. WTF is this and can someone supply some context? I mean, Edward Snowden just linked to a serious hack released by a brony.

Remember the Vault7 leak? Well those exploits are now being used in the wild.  The NSA had kept these exploits to themselves and never informed Microsoft.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

7 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

As in: if i am in program A and i want to go to a specific instance of program B, instead of just clicking one bar on the task bar i will now need to click the bar representing all instances of program B and then click the specific tab of program B i want if its not selected. So an extra step.

Im not saying its the end of the world, but from a UI design perspective it pisses me off. Its the same irritations that i feel when all the Office products moved initially to the ribbon bar because it consistently added extra steps to find basic functionality. UI updates should never increase the action depth tree, it just causes more user frustration and confusion.confusion

I get you now, inter app navigation would probably be slower but in the same app it would pretty handy.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

31 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

Im not saying its the end of the world, but from a UI design perspective it pisses me off. Its the same irritations that i feel when all the Office products moved initially to the ribbon bar because it consistently added extra steps to find basic functionality. UI updates should never increase the action depth tree, it just causes more user frustration and confusion.

My understanding from reading this is that you don't need to keep all the tabs for a program in the same window.  Similar to how in most tabbed browsers, you could easily just drag the tab off into it's own window.  

So tab nesting will be:

(User) -> Desktops -> Instances/Taskbar -> In windows tabs/This -> Tabs if the app has their own.

Cool

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

4 hours ago, silberdrachi said:

edit-replied to wrong person oops

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Another feature inspired by macOS

https://www.apple.com/macos/sierra/ (Right at the bottom)

Except the feature has been in browsers for years before Sierra, and addons for Windows file explorer have existed for quite some time as well, and it's nothing more than a GUI skin of an already native function of Windows: stacking on the task bar.

The main difference being that tabs are persistantly displayed undividually (until you run out of screen real estate) in the window, and not an icon stack on the taskbar that displays all tasks when hovered over (aka context sensative).

Hell, disable stacking in taskbar options, use names instead of icons, and put the task bar at the top. Bam, tabs, albeit a persistant version that really is akin to a web browser.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.