Philips 40" Monitor Review

That's a curved TV with low input lag not a monitor

I've once had to unpack a 43" monitor (monitor, not TV), this doesn't really impress me! xD

That one wasn't curved though.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I don't know many TVs with a 4ms response time...

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

Now you know :D

its pretty cool but ill stay with my 32inch 1440p + 27inch 1080p setup. I got the 1440p for 300 and the 1080p for 270. Both are IPS.

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Now you know :D

Well no, I don't... you should show an example if you're trying to make an argument lol.

Nice video, like the humour ;) 

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

16 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

it's a MONITOR by all definition of the word, it has NO TUNER for tuning in TV channels, no TUNER makes it a Monitor (or at least a "DISPLAY"), add to that DISPLAY PORT connections aren't found on ANY TV I've ever seen, that is another Monitor exclusive item. Also it's 2 to 3 times the price of 40" TV's and isn't an OLED to make up for the price, thats a MONITOR.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

it's a MONITOR by all definition of the word, it has NO TUNER for tuning in TV channels, no TUNER makes it a Monitor (or at least a "DISPLAY"), add to that DISPLAY PORT connections aren't found on ANY TV I've ever seen, that is another Monitor exclusive item. Also it's 2 to 3 times the price of 40" TV's and isn't an OLED to make up for the price, thats a MONITOR.

there's actually quite a bit of overlap between what is a monitor and what is a TV. it's like the difference between a desk and a table. there's very good examples of the one and the other, but there's this overlap in the middle that can easily pass for both.

--

that said, on topic: WHAT THE HELL IS THAT STAND PHILIPS... i'm starting to think that dell is the only display manufacturer left that makes monitors with good stands. this is a huge display, that stand is NOT gonna last the time a monitor is expected to last, and is very much NOT acceptable in this price range.. i'd much rather just toss dollar bills at dell and deal with the fact their 4K monitors have a space heater strapped to the back.

How much does it cost? The amazon link gives 0 result and Google gives me 3 result, which is this thread, the youtube video and the newsvideo.su video.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

How much does it cost? The amazon link gives 0 result and Google gives me 3 result, which is this thread, the youtube video and the newsvideo.su video.

$999 USD. I believe they mentioned it somewhere within the video, but not 100% on that.

I find it kinda funny how Linus went with the custom resolution method rather than the adjust size option (which works with DSR for those who care about it) to simulate ultra wide :P

1nKiHaN.jpg

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

$999 USD. I believe they mentioned it somewhere within the video, but not 100% on that.

So about a million Canadian rupees, thank you.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Oy, does anyone know how they got CS:GO to run on an ultrawide without it cropping the top & bottom of the screen? (Linus is playing it at 5:15.) This has been bothering me since I upgraded my monitor in October (& CS players with ultrawides for years)!

At 1:28 is that Linus faking a Luke voice or is that a Luke voice with a voice changer? 

At 4:05, can I donate a lazy susan to you guys?  

HOLY SHIT PICTURE IN PICTURE THAT'S AWESOME.  

In future videos I wish you'd compare it to other $500-2000 monitors AND TVs. 

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

g2g response time is not the same as input lag.

Even Linus says that response time advertised by manufacturers literally means nothing because all companies measure it differently with no standard.

What matters is input lag, the time it takes for an image to be input and shown on the screen.

Currently displaylag.com or rtings.com don't have a review of this panel but I would guess the input lag will be the same as any other regular monitor, about 10-20ms.

And btw, modern 4k tvs (especially form vizio or samsung) have input lag of about 20ms which is excellent. It is basically the same as a non-gaming monitor.

All the points talked about in this video are exactly why I keep recommending 4k tvs to people who want immersion.

-no bezels

-no black bars on 16:9 content (like 99.99% of everything on the internet)

-can play at ultrawide if you want, at the same size as a regular ultrawide monitor

-more vertical fov if not playing ultrawide.

-curve is better than three flat screens angled towards you

-input lag is not an issue unless you are a competitive fps player that wants over 60hz

-way more convenient than a 4 or 6 monitor setup, with similar size and screen realestate

The problem is that most people are still stuck in their 2005 way of thinking "tvs have high input lag" which is no longer true if you look at tests.

Maybe @LinusTech should do a video to bust this myth and properly inform people.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Price dropped twice while I was looking at the monitor on Amazon through the LTT link. Went from 999 to 933 to 912 USD in less than 30 mins. All outlets seem to have a 2 to 4 week shipping window.

Was this just a tech demo? because i can find this monitor anywhere but here... and the amazon link is dead as well. but i would rather get rid of my 42" lg tv from 2011 and 2 flatron 20" from like 2009 for maybe 2 of those! im a heavy power user and need the real estate lol

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

And btw, modern 4k tvs (especially form vizio or samsung) have input lag of about 20ms which is excellent. It is basically the same as a non-gaming monitor.

Maybe in "game" mode, for the most part people are sick of all the stupid pre processed junk that TVs do to the input signal, a monitor doesn't mess with the image in a way typical TVs do.

This will most likely be my next flatscreen: https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Monitors/25plus-inch/63126-BDM4350UC

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Maybe in "game" mode, for the most part people are sick of all the stupid pre processed junk that TVs do to the input signal, a monitor doesn't mess with the image in a way typical TVs do.

This will most likely be my next flatscreen: https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Monitors/25plus-inch/63126-BDM4350UC

Yes, you enable PC mode or console mode and the tv will not process anything.

That's how samsung or vizio tvs get input lag as low as regular monitors.

It's excellent for casual gaming and even fine for competitive fps if you're used to 60hz.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Yes, you enable PC mode or console mode and the tv will not process anything.

That's how samsung or vizio tvs get input lag as low as regular monitors.

It's excellent for casual gaming and even fine for competitive fps if you're used to 60hz.

Well my mates $$$ 4k LG monitor sadly doesn't have a "PC mode". For a company as big as LG to not support it, is sad.

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Well my mates $$$ 4k LG monitor sadly doesn't have a "PC mode". For a company as big as LG to not support it, is sad.

Yes.

TBH all tvs should have a real game/pc mode that bypasses processing.

Unfortunately they don't, so I can only recommend samsung and vizio and a few others.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

-

I agree with every single thing you said, but I still think that for first person shooters nothing beats a 1440p ultrawide monitor on the good and old desk [:

However go for third person games and a gamepad with a 4k tv really is all you need these days, input lag is barely noticeable nowdays, in fact I can't feel bothered at all when I play on my considerably older 40 inch 1920x1080p Toshiba Regza games like The Witcher 3.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Stealing Dogs 101

Interesting project, LMG.  o.O  I don't have any experience with this myself, but Rachel Bloom wrote a song about it, if that helps.  ??️