NASA Soon to Destroy a 3.26$ Billion Space Probe in Order to Save Possible Alien World

For nearly three decades, researchers have worked to design, build, launch, and operate an unprecedented mission to explore Saturn.

Called Cassini-Huygens — or Cassini, for short — the golden nuclear-powered spacecraft launched in October 1997, fell into orbit around the gas giant in July 2004, and has been documenting the planet and its dizzying variety of moons ever since.

But all good things must come to an end. And for NASA's $3.26 billion probe, that day is Friday, September 15, 2017.

During a press conference held by the US space agency on April 4, researchers explained why they're killing off their cherished spacecraft with what they call the "Grand Finale." The maneuver will use up the fleeting reserves of Cassini's fuel and put the robot on a collision course with Saturn.

Source: http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-how-and-when-nasa-will-finally-destroy-cassini

This move, as unfortunate and sad as it is, must be done.

Cassini has discovered an ocean of salt water in one of Saturn's moons, Enceladus. Researchers think that there may be life on that moon, so therefore they chose to crash Cassini into Saturn before it runs out of fuel and may crash into Enceladus.

But it is not yet the end of Cassini, the plan is to gather as much data as possible until the end at September of this year, Cassini will give us a further look at Saturn's south and north poles, with their raging hurricanes, furthermore, it will measure the size of it's rings, and lastly, it will measure the composition of Saturn's atmosphere and broadcast it back to earth.

Cool. Would be even cooler if there did turn out to be life.

Oh, and first :P 

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, Xreldo said:

Stupid NASA there are no aliens

NASA isn't stupid, there is DEFINITIALLY life out there that isn't human. If you think there is no aliens, you are a selfish idiot.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, Kumaresh said:

Very interesting. I hope they find some higher level intelligent life forms, not just some low level unicellular organisms.

If they do only find unicellular organisms it is still the first life form found by us outside of earth and not on an asteroid, this means that a planet is at least somewhat habitable, and that excites me.

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

NASA isn't stupid, there is DEFINITIALLY life out there that isn't human. If you think there is no aliens, you are a selfish idiot.

Some little bacteria swimming in a liquid Hmm by the definiton of Alien is something a foreign so ofcourse that little bacteria is an alien but there are no google eyes human like objects in other places but earth.

2 minutes ago, Xreldo said:

Some little bacteria swimming in a liquid Hmm by the definiton of Alien is something a foreign so ofcourse that little bacteria is an alien but there are no google eyes human like objects in other places but earth.

Wow, you are WAY smarter than I thought you were! TELL ME EVERYTHING MR. SMARTYPANTS!!!

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I dont think we will find intelligent life in our solar system, but there is probably bacteria or something similar. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

How big of a damage can a probe bring (assuming it's relatively small compared to the size of that moon) , is it a bit of an over exaggerated move?

Details separate people.

I wonder what god they worship there.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

9 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

How big of a damage can a probe bring (assuming it's relatively small compared to the size of that moon) , is it a bit of an over exaggerated move?

I guess you missed the part where is a nuclear powered probe. Even if it wasn't, why would you want to introduce a foreign body into a place you're trying to study?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just now, ivan134 said:

I wonder what god they worship there.

Most likely one that goes against "ours" xD

9 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

I think their issue is that they don't want it to transfer microbes that hitched a ride on it from Earth that may still be alive, somehow, and that would screw with anything there already if it is already inhabited.

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Most likely one that goes against "ours" xD

I think their issue is that they don't want it to transfer microbes that hitched a ride on it from Earth that may still be alive, somehow, and that would screw with anything there already if it is already inhabited.

You also don't want to be the fuel to some new crazed religion or conspiracy theories if for some reason our records today are destroyed and humans thousands of years later go there and see something that doesn't belong there.

To be fair, they collected data for over a decade, and now the spacecraft is old and runns out of fuel and still costs a lot of money. They just decided to end the mission in a controlled crash rather then let it run until it will fail and they loose the control.

It's not like the 3 billions are wasted for no result, the mission is / was a success.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Most of that money is not lost or anything. Those millions include money from salaries and jobs down here on earth. The spacecraft itself is only worth a fraction of that. Gosh... clickbaity headline is clickbaity

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 hour ago, Xreldo said:

Seems like they could of bought everyone in this forum a dual titan xp pcs with 6950ks for that money... Stupid NASA there are no aliens.

yeah but in 6 month we wouldn thave the latest Titan Xps because they're going to launch the Titan Xp SP2

1 hour ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

it's nuclear powered...?

1 hour ago, Xreldo said:

Very simple maths shows that your almost certainly incorrect but hey, I tend not to argue with ignorance.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, Xreldo said:

Seems like they could of bought everyone in this forum a dual titan xp pcs with 6950ks for that money... Stupid NASA there are no aliens.

or they could have bought millions of american several years worth of premium health insurance....

Or launched tomahawk missiles at every airfield in the world!!!

2 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

its so they don't introduce a foreign object into the ecosystem and possibly wreck it. ecosystems are often extremely delicate.

3 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

[Citation Needed] xD

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

or they could have bought millions of american several years worth of premium health insurance....

Or launched tomahawk missiles at every airfield in the world!!!

Thats right mister trump instead of searching for bacteria in space they should focus on china and Mexicans bringing drugs to america. There is a reason US military gets way more funds than NASA and instead of looking for bacteria in space they should go to Mars already almost 50 went past since they went to the moon unless that was all fake.

21 minutes ago, Xreldo said:

Thats right mister trump instead of searching for bacteria in space they should focus on china and Mexicans bringing drugs to america. There is a reason US military gets way more funds than NASA and instead of looking for bacteria in space they should go to Mars already almost 50 went past since they went to the moon unless that was all fake.

Sorry, Cassini was launched 19 years before nationalist politics became the only topic anyone can apparently talk about. I sure hope NASA will try to be more respectful of your delicate feelings in the future.

4 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

"Damage" isn't necessarily only physical. They're probably more worried about what our Earth garbage could do to a potential ecosystem that has not adapted to it. A virus or bacterium from Earth could probably do anything from zero to immeasurable harm.