Is LGA1151 gonna last longer?

Nope.

300 chipset is coming next.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick-Tock_model

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

24 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Nope.

300 chipset is coming next.

CannonLake is rumored to be on LGA1151 with 3xx series chipsets, but no info if they're gonna work with 1xx and 2xx series chipsets

Edited by zMeul

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

CofeeLake is rumored to be on LGA1151 with 3xx series chipsets, but no info if they're gonna work with 1xx and 2xx series chipsets

It looks like Coffe Lake is just low power mobile chips, not an actual desktop CPU release.

Cannonlake is what will actually be the desktop i5s and i7s.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It looks like Coffe Lake is just low power mobile chips, not an actual desktop CPU release.

Cannonlake is what will actually be the desktop i5s and i7s.

yewah, CannonLake :P

26 minutes ago, zMeul said:

CannonLake is rumored to be on LGA1151 with 3xx series chipsets, but no info if they're gonna work with 1xx and 2xx series chipsets

But 200 chipset CPUs work with 100 chipset and viceversa... I hope new CPUs to support at least last generation chipset motherboards (200), otherwise I won't be able to upgrade further than to a 7700K.

Just now, DaemonWarrior44 said:

But 200 chipset CPUs work with 100 chipset and viceversa... I hope new CPUs to support at least last generation chipset motherboards (200), otherwise I won't be able to upgrade further than to a 7700K.

I doubt. Look at haswell n haswell refresh, only 2 gen 87/97.no more

(DaemonWarrior44)

Look at the crap they pulled with the 1150's. Intel loves to do this. Move 2 pins. Add 4 pins, it's ridiculous. I do a lot of old Intel builds as the prices on certain cpu's that Intel *forgot* to lock and were never very popular, but now that Ryzen is here, and AMD can compete in the mid range card area, I'm pushing AMD on all new custom systems I build. Once the 5 series launches on the 11th we won't be able to build them quick enough for ebay, especially if mobo prices come down a bit with more vendors jumping aboard. It'll be great building new 6 core/12 thread pc's that are not used that an average college kid or grown up on a budget can afford.

As you can prolly guess, I am still bitter about the 1150 debacle. The whole 1150/1151 should have all been compatible, the only limitation being RAM supported on the boards.

Edited by crzyces

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

8 minutes ago, crzyces said:

(DaemonWarrior44)

Look at the crap they pulled with the 1150's. Intel loves to do this. Move 2 pins. Add 4 pins, it's ridiculous. I do a lot of old Intel builds as the prices on certain cpu's that Intel *forgot* to lock and were never very popular, but now that Ryzen is here, and AMD can compete in the mid range card area, I'm pushing AMD on all new custom systems I build. Once the 5 series launches on the 11th we won't be able to build them quick enough for ebay, especially if mobo prices come down a bit with more vendors jumping aboard. It'll be great building new 6 core/12 thread pc's that are not used that an average college kid or grown up on a budget can afford.

As you can prolly guess, I am still bitter about the 1150 debacle. The whole 1150/1151 should have all been compatible, the only limitation being RAM supported on the boards.

Lets just hope that if any succesors do end up on a different socket, Intel forgets to change it to the point where socket mods don't work (I love the LGA771 to 775 socket mod)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The 2 pin flip and spin? Yep, that would sure be nice!

8 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Lets just hope that if any succesors do end up on a different socket, Intel forgets to change it to the point where socket mods don't work (I love the LGA771 to 775 socket mod)

12 hours ago, crzyces said:

(DaemonWarrior44)

I guess it's too late for me to go Ryzen...

The 7700K is nothing to scoff at. The resale market for them is huge if you did want to switch, but I doubt you will want/need to for some time. With a good gpu that thing should last you another 8 years or so. The downside is missing out on ddr5 and most likely some other features the newer chipset boards come with. Regardless, I doubt it will effect you as long as you keep upgrading the gpu every few years.

In all honesty, once Ryzen switches to DDR5, you still may be able to get as much money for your 7700k build as it would cost to build a better AMD one, as the Intel fanboys look at names, not performance (Like NVidea fans  making vids of 1060's beating rx480's in most games. Looking at in game specs, not what they show in the beginning, you will often find the 480 running on lower voltages, slightly underclocked etc, while the 1060 is drawing more power and oc'd while playing NVidea optimized games).

I'm not a fan boy of any brand, I am a consumer fanboy. Right now, with what AMD is doing (all chips unlocked for instance), universal mobos for all zen architecture with backwards support in many cases, not over-pricing their cpu's or gpu's, I am pulling for them, as hopefully, it will give Intel and NVidea a wake up call. Heh, now watch, the Vega will release overpriced with less performance than the reference gtx 1080 just to make me eat crow.

18 hours ago, crzyces said:

Meanwhile, AMD managed to have exceptional cross-platform support with their AM3 chips supporting AM2+ with DDR2, as well as AM3 & AM3+ with DDR3.  Intel could do this if they want, but they don't see the point.  New chips means they can sell new motherboard chipsets, and people will buy them up.

In fact, Intel actually does have 6th gen Intel 1151 processors that support DDR3L (both laptop and desktop variants), so that proves they could have made them backwards compatible with 1150 socket.  They chose not to.

No. Kaby lake is the last CPU on lga 1151. Even if the next lineup of intel CPU's are just rebrands its going to be a different socket they have been doing 2 types of arch on one socket since jeez bloomfield? 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 With Corsair H110i GT GPU: GTX 1060 Strix OC MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Meanwhile, AMD managed to have exceptional cross-platform support with their AM3 chips supporting AM2+ with DDR2, as well as AM3 & AM3+ with DDR3.  Intel could do this if they want, but they don't see the point.  New chips means they can sell new motherboard chipsets, and people will buy them up.

In fact, Intel actually does have 6th gen Intel 1151 processors that support DDR3L (both laptop and desktop variants), so that proves they could have made them backwards compatible with 1150 socket.  They chose not to.

Look at it this way, it reduced the cost of R&D a lot keeping compatibility as high as they did. Still though, the SuperSocket 7 platform is king of compatibility-some motherboards like my Gigabyte GA 5AA rev 2.2 (the AT version, the 5AX is the ATX) supports every single Socket 7 and SS7 CPU-including some real oddballs from manufacturers that ended up not being able to compete with Intel and AMD:
http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-5AA#sp
http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-99.html

Also, remember that LGA1150 was designed for CPU with FIVR, meaning that the power delivery to the platform is unlike any other. And BTW, LGA1150 does support DDR3L-I'm running 1 stick of it now in my desktop, and its actually caused the other 3 DDR3 sticks to run at 1.357V as opposed to 1.5V

PMSL

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2017 at 10:09 PM, Dabombinable said:

Look at it this way, it reduced the cost of R&D a lot keeping compatibility as high as they did. Still though, the SuperSocket 7 platform is king of compatibility-some motherboards like my Gigabyte GA 5AA rev 2.2 (the AT version, the 5AX is the ATX) supports every single Socket 7 and SS7 CPU-including some real oddballs from manufacturers that ended up not being able to compete with Intel and AMD:
http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-5AA#sp
http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-99.html

Also, remember that LGA1150 was designed for CPU with FIVR, meaning that the power delivery to the platform is unlike any other. And BTW, LGA1150 does support DDR3L-I'm running 1 stick of it now in my desktop, and its actually caused the other 3 DDR3 sticks to run at 1.357V as opposed to 1.5V

I want another advancement like we had when the LGA 1366 socket arrived that was mad gains on all fronts!

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 With Corsair H110i GT GPU: GTX 1060 Strix OC MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

5 minutes ago, Jredmond said:

I want another advancement like we had when the LGA 1366 socket arrived that was mad gains on all fronts!

Not if you had your Core 2 uad running at 4GHz...

PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Not if you had your Core 2 uad running at 4GHz...

That was an Intel forced upgrade on me. I was happy and pissed at the same time (I had the money, but hate being forced into things, as I would have rather a small upgrade and saved a bit more for my gpu at the time).