Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does KMS count as "piracy"?

Go to solution Solved by Windspeed36,

Using KMS as a way to activate a Microsoft product is not at all against Microsoft ToS provided you have a valid MAK or mass activation key - obtained usually through Microsoft VLSC purchased under SPLA, EA or VL. 

Using an activator tool to 'trick' the activation service built into the product into thinking it has activated against a KMS server is breaking Microsoft TOS and is considered piracy. 

1 minute ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

I'm sure Mircrosoft won't mind about a few people not paying for Windows or Office, haha xD...

They don't. The CIA didn't pay for it either.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

24 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

LOL, so... If I go and tell 'em "I lost my product key" and I'm lucky and they don't ask me for any receit, will I get Windows for free? xD

Yes. It's not like pirating it is any harder than that anyway.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

I vote MS ignores pirated copies of Windows, BUT makes them play this on each startup. 

PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i7 6700k, Noctua NH-U9S, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , Gigabyte 1080 OC Windforce, Samsung 860 250GB (OS) Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (Games) Samsung 840 Evo 500GB (games)

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

I vote MS ignores pirated copies of Windows, BUT makes them play this on each startup. 

LOL, that would be awesome, hahahaha...

2 minutes ago, Kierax said:

good thing I don't reboot frequently

I mean, my windows 10 is legit

free upgrade :)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

good thing I don't reboot frequently

I mean, my windows 10 is legit

free upgrade :)

Oh I would have the taskbar randomly change to the Nyan cat.

PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i7 6700k, Noctua NH-U9S, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , Gigabyte 1080 OC Windforce, Samsung 860 250GB (OS) Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (Games) Samsung 840 Evo 500GB (games)

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Just now, Kierax said:

Oh I would have the taskbar randomly change to the Nyan cat.

nyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanyanya

I read it as ryan

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

37 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

How do you prove them that you "lost" your product key?

a key is not a license. you buy a license and it comes with the key to unlock the software. MS business customers get access to a different level of activation that make it easier to deploy MS software at scale. A lot of people buy a license, get the key and then throw away the license because they think they only need the key. MS makes a lot of money off those fools. Thats why i try to educate people on why buying a key is pointless and a key is not a license. You dont want to start a business or be in charge of IT, use software from a large software corp as an integral core of your operation, and then have that corp sting you for thousands of dollars because you dont know what your rights are.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Thats why i try to educate people on why buying a key is pointless and a key is not a license.

So, buying OEM keys is bad/isn't good?

Using KMS as a way to activate a Microsoft product is not at all against Microsoft ToS provided you have a valid MAK or mass activation key - obtained usually through Microsoft VLSC purchased under SPLA, EA or VL. 

Using an activator tool to 'trick' the activation service built into the product into thinking it has activated against a KMS server is breaking Microsoft TOS and is considered piracy. 

KMSpico?

Of course it is!

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Peripherals: Mice: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Logitech G305 /// Keyboard: Leopold FC900R (Cherry Silent Red), Logitech G613 (Romer G) /// Monitor: AOC Agon AG322FCX 32' (VA, 1080p @144hz) /// AMP: Onkyo Integra A-817XD /// DAC: Loxjie D10 (Red) /// Speakers: Polk Audio TSi100 /// Mike: Superlux E205U /// Headphone: AKG K267 by Tiësto

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

17 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Are you allowed to choose a "best answer" for other people's posts? Really? I mean, I've already chose one, why did you changed it?

Also, according to @GoodBytes, this post is closed.

@Windspeed36 and don't misinterprete me, I appreciate any kind of information provided, but was it necessary to change my "best answer"?

2 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

@Windspeed36 and don't misinterprete me, I appreciate any kind of information provided, but was it necessary to change my "best answer"?

It's all good - I normally don't get too worried but a lot of people get confused around what KMS is hence why I reopened the tread to clarify it from the point of view of an MS partner

11 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

It's all good - I normally don't get too worried but a lot of people get confused around what KMS is hence why I reopened the tread to clarify it from the point of view of an MS partner

As a MS Partner, what would you say about the people who tell others to not buy a Windows key and simply not activate it? 

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 3.50 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.7) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e (Android 10)

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

As a MS Partner, what would you say about the people who tell others to not buy a Windows key and simply not activate it? 

i always say be careful how you word things. you can say:

"not activating windows places no real hurtful technical limitations but you are legally suppose to have that piece of paper that shows your right to use the software."

or you can say something like:

"dont bother paying for it coz MS dont do shit"

both same the same thing but one is a bit more careful than the other

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

as intended

So bypassing regional restrictions is piracy too?

What about never activating Windows?

12 minutes ago, yathis said:

So bypassing regional restrictions is piracy too?

What about never activating Windows?

Well both of those cases are breaking the eula so yes, but that's never enforced. 

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well both of those cases are breaking the eula so yes, but that's never enforced. 

Either is piracy.