Is 24 inches too small for 1440p?

IAR117

My desk has an add on unit which restricts my monitor size to 24 inches. I need this add on unit so don't tell me to remove it. I'm looking for a monitor and I know that my PC can handle 1440p gaming. BUT, would the smaller size ruin my experience as opposed to a 24 inch 1080p panel? Thanks

24" is still fine for 1440p though I prefer 27".

24" 1440p about 122PPI

27" 1440p about 109PPI

not that much of a difference

No, it's not too small.  Honestly I don't recommend above 24" if you're close to the screen.  When you go to 27", you have to turn your head to see everything.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

No, it's not too small.  Honestly I don't recommend above 24" if you're close to the screen.  When you go to 27", you have to turn your head to see everything.

I'm around an arms length from it, so I should be ok

Just now, IAR117 said:

I'm around an arms length from it, so I should be ok

I think 27" would be fine then.  I'm about a foot away from my screen.  Anyway, 24" is going to look better than 27" anyway because you have a higher ppi.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

I think 27" would be fine then.  I'm about a foot away from my screen.  Anyway, 24" is going to look better than 27" anyway because you have a higher ppi.

True. Anyway, even if I wanted 27 inces, I woldn't be able to due to the damn add on unit

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Depends. I tend to sit about foot / 30cm from my 27" 1440p as well and I don't really have to turn my head around.

For this distance, the 24" PPI would be better and smoother. However, I sometimes like to lay back in the chair and I don't have perfect vision into the distance so I would struggle to read text on 24" display with that high PPI. Comes really down to personal preference.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Depends. I tend to sit about foot / 30cm from my 27" 1440p as well and I don't really have to turn my head around.

For this distance, the 24" PPI would be better and smoother. However, I sometimes like to lay back in the chair and I don't have perfect vision into the distance so I would struggle to read text on 24" display with that high PPI. Comes really down to personal preference.

I'm blind as a bat, but looking at my 1080p 15.6  inch laptop from the back of my chair at arms length from the screen and I can see most of the text quite well. So I imagine that this will be less of an issue at 24 inches and 1440p

nope its a good size. i can just say that 32" is too big lol. my main display right now is a 1440p 32" display and its WAY to big but its still awesome

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

My desk has an add on unit which restricts my monitor size to 24 inches. I need this add on unit so don't tell me to remove it. I'm looking for a monitor and I know that my PC can handle 1440p gaming. BUT, would the smaller size ruin my experience as opposed to a 24 inch 1080p panel? Thanks

24" is fine though I prefer 27"

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Depends on how far you sit from the screen and what you will use it for. I have a 25" 1440p screen (AOC Q2577PWQ) and sometimes some text can be a little small but not unreadable. This is mainly since the pixels per inch is higher then lets say with a 27" screen so everything is very sharp and clean looking. So at 24" you might need a small windows scale increase to like 125% but if you sit within arms length from the screen you should be ok.

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Does the "add on unit" limit the monitor's width or height?

Budget?

Country?

Purpose?

Can't remember what it restricts. I believe it is in height and width. The budget on my monitor is 300 pounds and this is the one I've found

http://www.ebuyer.com/758244-aoc-agon-ag241qx-24-gaming-monitor-ag241qx?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=51508043699&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5YfHBRDzjNnioYq3_swBEiQArj4pdMXRkMG_bRqqMiRVqsrnSK7q5RbyCeHILv-Vdde7rhIaAmk18P8HAQ

UK

Gaming

And wow that is alot of questions, you want my address too? xD

30 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

My AOC ips is 27" and the desktop appears to bend around the edge of the screen, very weird when you see it.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I just got my 27 inch 1440p gysnc 144hz monitor. I did have an 24inch 1080p 120hz monitor. I can tell you the 27inch is alot better. You get more of a feel to the games when the screen is bigger. And tbh once you go 1440p there is no going back. The games look and feel so much better. And if your not into gaming. The increase in screen rez and workshop is alot better. 

18 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I'd rather go straight to the point when helping with a buying decision.

Thus the questions are to identify your requirements and find the best product that meets them.

You're the first one who has the mental capacity to answer 4 questions btw.

I see you have a Fury X and want to make the best use of it despite display size limitations.

That Agon monitor is probably the best available for a TN panel.

Although for less money, you could sacrifice 144Hz for 4K IPS while retaining Freesync

I know about the 4K option. However I recently saw a 120hz panel in a shop and I NEED it now. Also streaming 4K is not possible on my WIFI, 1440p is though

I personally find my 27" to be too big sometimes, not because of actually size but PPI. 

Take me this with a very big grain of salt, since I find my Retina iPad to be wanting in PPI, so I'm a rare casw

That's an F in the profile pic

3 minutes ago, IceCold008 said:

I just got my 27 inch 1440p gysnc 144hz monitor. I did have an 24inch 1080p 120hz monitor. I can tell you the 27inch is alot better. You get more of a feel to the games when the screen is bigger. And tbh once you go 1440p there is no going back. The games look and feel so much better. And if your not into gaming. The increase in screen rez and workshop is alot better. 

The monitor which I'll link here-

http://www.ebuyer.com/758244-aoc-agon-ag241qx-24-gaming-monitor-ag241qx?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=51508043699&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5YfHBRDzjNnioYq3_swBEiQArj4pdMXRkMG_bRqqMiRVqsrnSK7q5RbyCeHILv-Vdde7rhIaAmk18P8HAQ

Is 1440p. Would you say that games are vastly improved due to the extra pixels or screen size? Also as much as I would like 27 inches, I can't have it due to an add on unit on my desk

4 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

Is 1440p. Would you say that games are vastly improved due to the extra pixels or screen size? Also as much as I would like 27 inches, I can't have it due to an add on unit on my desk

I'd say go for it. The screen size, for me at least, doesn't make much of a difference, however text might be hard on the smaller screen, I struggle even at 27". The PPI is where it really makes a difference. Also, running the higher res on a smaller monitor will possibly mean you need less anti-aliasing

Just now, Froody129 said:

I'd say go for it. The screen size, for me at least, doesn't make much of a difference, however text might be hard on the smaller screen, I struggle even at 27". The PPI is where it really makes a difference. Also, running the higher res on a smaller monitor will possibly mean you need less anti-aliasing

I never thoguht of the AA idea, but it seems like a plausible statement. I'll go for it when I can. Thanks all

2 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

27inch is alot better in my opinion. For a few reasons. One which for me is why i picked 27inch 1440p over 24 inch 1440p. Playing games. I found that playing games on a 27inch you get more emerged into the game it feels better. Thats my number one reason. It FEELS better. Number two reason. Desktop space it again feels like you have alot more room in your windows desktop.  

As for the extra pixels graphic clarity over 1080p. I was like you i was worried, is it worth going to 1440p over 1080p. I can say once you hit 1440p there ANIT no going back to 1080p trust me. I am playing 4 games atm. Doom, Ryse Son of Rome, Dragon Age Inquisition and Stellaris.  All at Max Settings and i can tell you its way better over 1080p. The image quality is alot better. You can see things in the distance with more clarity. Put this with a 27inch monitor and your in GAMING HEAVEN. Trust me. 

1 minute ago, IceCold008 said:

27inch is alot better in my opinion. For a few reasons. One which for me is why i picked 27inch 1440p over 24 inch 1440p. Playing games. I found that playing games on a 27inch you get more emerged into the game it feels better. Thats my number one reason. It FEELS better. Number two reason. Desktop space it again feels like you have alot more room in your windows desktop.  

As for the extra pixels graphic clarity over 1080p. I was like you i was worried, is it worth going to 1440p over 1080p. I can say once you hit 1440p there ANIT no going back to 1080p trust me. I am playing 4 games atm. Doom, Ryse Son of Rome, Dragon Age Inquisition and Stellaris.  All at Max Settings and i can tell you its way better over 1080p. The image quality is alot better. You can see things in the distance with more clarity. Put this with a 27inch monitor and your in GAMING HEAVEN. Trust me. 

24 inches will have to suffice. Unless there is a 25/26 inch 1440p 144hz monitor under 300 pounds, which I doubt, I'm sold

31 minutes ago, IceCold008 said:

Well the PPI increase to a 27" 1440p really isn't that much over a 24" 1080p. A 24" 1440p on the other hand...

24 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Well the PPI increase to a 27" 1440p really isn't that much over a 24" 1080p. A 24" 1440p on the other hand...

Thats not the whole picture your getting there. Dont go off PPI alone.Yes if your comparing stats alone the 24inch would be better. But it dont work like that. 

For starters you will not see the difference between a 24inch 1440p monitor over a 27inch 1440p monitor in terms of extra graphics clarity. But i can tell you since your gaming on a 24inch monitor. You will notice the difference in gaming on a 27inch monitor over a 24inch. You get more emerged into the game more. Its all about having fun right. 

If you pick a 24inch1440p monitor. Yes you will notice the extra graphics clarity over 1080p but it will just feel the same. Now do that again with a 27inch monitor. Again you will notice the graphics clarity over 1080p but this time you will feel alot more emerged into the game. I cant really explain it. Its like VR stick your head into the headset and its wow you get fully emerged into the environment. Your not going to get that much with 24inch BECUASE your playing on a 24inch atm. No Difference. 

1 hour ago, IceCold008 said:

Thats not the whole picture your getting there. Dont go off PPI alone.Yes if your comparing stats alone the 24inch would be better. But it dont work like that. 

For starters you will not see the difference between a 24inch 1440p monitor over a 27inch 1440p monitor in terms of extra graphics clarity. But i can tell you since your gaming on a 24inch monitor. You will notice the difference in gaming on a 27inch monitor over a 24inch. You get more emerged into the game more. Its all about having fun right. 

If you pick a 24inch1440p monitor. Yes you will notice the extra graphics clarity over 1080p but it will just feel the same. Now do that again with a 27inch monitor. Again you will notice the graphics clarity over 1080p but this time you will feel alot more emerged into the game. I cant really explain it. Its like VR stick your head into the headset and its wow you get fully emerged into the environment. Your not going to get that much with 24inch BECUASE your playing on a 24inch atm. No Difference. 

My only experience with PC gaming is on a 15.6 inch screen, so 24 inches should be alright. Also as I've mentioned countless times, I CANNOT have a 27 inch monitor, I will have to do with the 24 inch one. But thanks for your advice, when buying another desk, I'll try and get it to be more monitor friendly.

4 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

My only experience with PC gaming is on a 15.6 inch screen, so 24 inches should be alright. Also as I've mentioned countless times, I CANNOT have a 27 inch monitor, I will have to do with the 24 inch one. But thanks for your advice, when buying another desk, I'll try and get it to be more monitor friendly.

Oh since your gaming on a 15.6 inch screen.Then it will be a wow factor for you on a 24inch. I thought you was allready on a 24inch monitor.  Go for it then. You will love it.