Why did my GPU (kind of) explode? [pictures]

CARD: 4GB MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G Twin FrozrV, PCIe 3.0, 7010MHz GDDR5, GPU 1216MHz, Boost 1317MHz, Cores 2048, 3x DP/HDMI/DVI-I.

Yesterday, while playing Dark Souls 3, my computer did a strange thing. It didn't crash, but the monitors turned back while a small audible "pop" happened. Afterwards, everything was normal for a few seconds. The game crashed, but since I was streaming it using Steam, I could see the desktop and my MSI Afterburner. Temps were normal (65c), but usage had become a mish-mash of numbers far greater than the usual "100%". Unfortunately, I didn't get any screenshots because I just wanted to restart the PC and make sure everything was okay. It wasn't, and it refused to boot. 

Skipping to today, here's what I know. I have no warranty, my computer is perfectly fine and only the GPU is dead. I decided to try baking, just incase I could squeeze another few weeks while I prepare for another. Taking the heatsink off, I notice [PICTURE #1]:

In the top left, you can see a small black dot, and a little black mark on the frame and the chip, like it had splashed. Not knowing what it could be, I quickly checked the heatsink just in case, and found [PICTURE #2].

You can't see it too well, but that thing sticks out about 0.5mm, and cleaning wouldn't get rid of it. It looks like something on my card popped and embedded itself into the heatsink.

What could have caused this? It wasn't overclocked (more than factory OC) and seemed to be well within temperature limits. What happened to my poor card? 

(EDIT) Warranty was voided ages ago by my own stupidity removing the warranty sticker from the screw. 

ss (2017-04-08 at 11.20.01).jpg

ss (2017-04-08 at 11.20.43).jpg

Edited by mrkaru

it looks like of those SMD's on the gpu die blew up, never seen that before but you most likely voided your warranty with baking it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

it looks like of those SMD's on the gpu die blew up, never seen that before but you most likely voided your warranty with baking it.

rest in spaghetti never forgetti warranty

now look at this net

Please for the love of god do not bake it

Your warranty is still in date, RMA it with MSI. They have a 3 year warranty on most of their GPUs IIRC

idk

I only baked it because Warrenty was voided ages ago by removing the warranty seal on the screw. I've already contacted them and they said they wouldn't do anything. 

a small cap exploded on the "frame" of the chip. also have you doubble checked that you have no waranty? always worth checking it :) anyway the reason was probably a small spike in voltage in your wall power that then transfered all the way into your card, probably a minimal super minor one but it was enough to pop an already old and used cap 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Hey if your motherboard and everything else is still ok then you had some luck in the accident

A shrine of cheeseburgers shalt this GPU rest. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

28 minutes ago, mrkaru said:

I decided to try baking

I hope that you don't intend to use this oven again for food. Linus explained why in his video.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

power supply may have had something to do with it, some bad PSUs can damage other components, but don't ask me which ones are good or bad.

5 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

I hope that you don't intend to use this oven again for food. Linus explained why in his video.

It was an old oven, don't worry