YouTube updating Partner Program: 10,000 channel view minimum for Ads

As a part of the update to the YouTube Partner Program today, YouTube is going to require a 10,000 lifetime channel view minimum before it begins to serve ads.  From the Youtube Blog Post:

https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2017/04/introducing-expanded-youtube-partner.html

Starting today, we will no longer serve ads on YPP videos until the channel reaches 10k lifetime views. This new threshold gives us enough information to determine the validity of a channel. It also allows us to confirm if a channel is following our community guidelines and advertiser policies. By keeping the threshold to 10k views, we also ensure that there will be minimal impact on our aspiring creators. And, of course, any revenue earned on channels with under 10k views up until today will not be impacted.

They are also beginning to implement a review program prior to admittance into the YPP where:

In a few weeks, we’ll also be adding a review process for new creators who apply to be in the YouTube Partner Program. After a creator hits 10k lifetime views on their channel, we’ll review their activity against our policies. If everything looks good, we’ll bring this channel into YPP and begin serving ads against their content. Together these new thresholds will help ensure revenue only flows to creators who are playing by the rules.

Original Engadget Article: https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/06/youtubers-will-need-at-least-10-000-views-to-make-ad-money/

Tech Crunch Article: https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/06/youtube-will-now-block-ads-on-channels-with-under-10000-views/

Wall Street Journal: https://www.wsj.com/articles/youtube-blocks-ads-from-channels-with-fewer-than-10-000-views-1491508809?mod=e2twd

I guess this makes some sort of sense as they cannot just keep placing ads on everyone and collecting revenue, however, it does seem like a major drawback for developing a new channel and for new content creators...  This may also help to deal with some of the recent issues concerning the ads being placed on content that advertisers object to.

EDIT: Based on some of the information from Tech Crunch and WSJ (I can't read the full article, damn subscription), this is definitely looking like it is being implemented based on the backlash from advertisers.  Follow-up question on this to the group:  Does 10,000 lifetime channel views appear to be too many, too few or just the right amount with how YouTube works?  

6 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

This may also help to deal with some of the recent issues concerning the ads being placed on content that advertisers object to.

Yep, probably that news story of ads being on videos that these manufactures don't want them on that did this...

I NEEDED WINDOWS 10 64-BIT SO BADLYxD

The awesome build

Ram: DDR400 2.5 GB   GPU: It's big, that's all I know   Case: A red box   Motherboard: My mother hates me   HDD: I don't have one, I threw it against the wall and it broke, so it is a softdrive   CPU: Intel Pentium 3, Quake get's rekt   OS: Microshaft Winblows XP

Here comes a beast of a laptop, the TravelMate 5742, it's so bad (get the reference )

Ram : 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM  (1066Mhz)     CPU :  Intel Core i5 480M / 2.66 GHz (It turbo's up to 2.93 GHz)     GPU :  Intel HD Graphics     HDD : 500GB (5400 rpm) OS : Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (Build 1607)

3 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

-snip-

I think this is a great call... Helps them avoid the issues that were brought up through the WSJ's story, hopefully helps bring some legitimacy back to the platform. This is a step in the right direction to regain the trust of their advertising partners.

Honestly, if you're expecting to make any money within the first 10,000 lifetime views on a channel then you're getting into making YouTube videos (or starting a new channel) for the wrong reasons lol... The chances of this significantly inhibiting a new creator are astronomically low (and by that I mean the only way I could see this having a hugely net negative impact is if someone with less than 10,000 lifetime channel views somehow gets a multi-million view hit that would've potentially made thousands for them, but is unable to due to them not yet being accepted into the YPP).

8 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

the only way I could see this having a hugely net negative impact is if someone with less than 10,000 lifetime channel views somehow gets a multi-million view hit that would've potentially made thousands for them, but is unable to due to them not yet being accepted into the YPP).

So basically, the guy who came up with a laundry list of things to do with a $20 laptop is screwed.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

A minimum of 10,000 total channel views is a good start, sadly it won't prevent terrible (hatespreading or just plain awfull) channels from eventually getting ads on their videos if they presist long enough.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

8 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Honestly, if you're expecting to make any money within the first 10,000 lifetime views on a channel then you're getting into making YouTube videos (or starting a new channel) for the wrong reasons lol... The chances of this significantly inhibiting a new creator are astronomically low (and by that I mean the only way I could see this having a hugely net negative impact is if someone with less than 10,000 lifetime channel views somehow gets a multi-million view hit that would've potentially made thousands for them, but is unable to due to them not yet being accepted into the YPP).

There goes my 5th grade minecon dreams and anyone who just found youtube and thinks it is easy to be a hit. I would say its near astranomically low to be found if you dont have anyone to start your views like friends and not have likeable-by-all content

44 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

It's IMO is low, they should increase it a bit like to 15k coz my channel got 2k with almost no effort and shit content.

-- BSOD : ( --

17 minutes ago, Jskn said:

There goes my 5th grade minecon dreams and anyone who just found youtube and thinks it is easy to be a hit. I would say its near astranomically low to be found if you dont have anyone to start your views like friends and not have likeable-by-all content

No argument there - I would not want to be starting YouTube in this age, where there is SO MUCH competition in almost every space. It's super hard for new creators out there who are just starting out.

4 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

It's IMO is low, they should increase it a bit like to 15k cox my channel got 2k with almost no effort and shit content.

Definitely agree that it's low, but I think the main purpose is to implement a more strict review process when people are signing up for the YPP rather than making it open to all. I'm sure that if they come to find that 10,000 is too low they'll make an adjustment.

I have to say that, overall, I've actually been really impressed with YouTube's actions after this whole mess. Their communication is much better than it has ever been...

Just now, nicklmg said:

Definitely agree that it's low, but I think the main purpose is to implement a more strict review process when people are signing up for the YPP rather than making it open to all. 

That would be a lot messier because at the end of the day, it would have to be automated and you know how their automated programs were almost always given shit.

But, accepting your thought, I'd like to know how can that be possible, like how can they be justified eligible or not eligible for the program? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. 

-- BSOD : ( --

4 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

That would be a lot messier because at the end of the day, it would have to be automated and you know how their automated programs were almost always given shit.

But, accepting your thought, I'd like to know how can that be possible, like how can they be justified eligible or not eligible for the program? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. 

I have no insider information, but based on what I've read I assume it's whether or not someone falls under the category of "advertiser friendly," as YouTube has determined it. So the content is not pushing or displaying racist/sexist/terrorist messaging, the tagging, titling, and keywords aren't doing the same, etc.

Essentially they're trying to avoid more situations where someone like the WSJ comes along, sees someone reposting a video with either racist messaging or visuals inside, and gets a major brand's ad displayed before the video, placing that advertiser directly alongside that messaging.

1 minute ago, Zackbare said:

From my reading of it the steps are as follows:

• You Apply for the YPP
  • Your channel has to hit the 10k lifetime views
  • YPP reviews the activity against their policies
  • Assuming all criteria is met, your channel begins to serve ads.

I think the main thing is that they are trying to come up with a way to sort out which channels actually need to be looked at with finer detail based on when they hit the 10k views.  Whether this will work and what metadata they end up collecting on the channel as it approaches the 10k views will be the tricky part of this to all work out.  My best assumption is that they will probably use the first 10k views as a start to a scoring system to see how much content falls out of (or is reported to fall out of)  their ad friendly content guidelines.  

Ive got over 500k views on my channel total. I think 10K is way too low.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

Ive got over 500k views on my channel total. I think 10K is way too low.

I honestly wonder about this myself as it does seem like a low achievable number, however at the same time, YouTube it trying to generate it's own revenue by selling ad spots.  If all of a sudden the number of channels that they create to place ads on sharply declines, that means less views of ads and maybe less advertisers.  I guess their business question comes down to having less channels to place ads on but also better QC/QA on the channel content or loosening up the minimum views on a channel for collecting channel data in order to get more ad space available.  Seems like a really tight balancing act.

Like anyone is going to make any money of 10,000 views, actually even 100,000 views won't make all that much anyways.

Youtube should increase the minimum to 100,000 views

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 hour ago, malon said:

A minimum of 10,000 total channel views is a good start, sadly it won't prevent terrible (hatespreading or just plain awfull) channels from eventually getting ads on their videos if they presist long enough.

actually I think it would, because IIRC they mentioned something about reviewing the channel before had to make sure everything is okay.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

I think this is a great call... Helps them avoid the issues that were brought up through the WSJ's story, hopefully helps bring some legitimacy back to the platform. This is a step in the right direction to regain the trust of their advertising partners.

Except one of the videos in question was on a very small channel and still had over 200k views. Its not hard enough imho to get 10k views on a video but well I guess they´re ok with the odds at 10k

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Except one of the videos in question was on a very small channel and still had over 200k views. Its not hard enough imho to get 10k views on a video but well I guess they´re ok with the odds at 10k

It's a step in the right direction at the very least.

Also, I assume that they MAY look more seriously at having some sort of manual check in place.

I don't ever expect it's going to be foolproof, but I'm hopeful...

I wonder if this applies to only new admissions into the YPP, as I just checked my channel info(only started it a short while back so still under the 10k views limit) and it remains enabled for ads.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Back when I played first person shooters, I've hit over the 10K mark, and the thought didn't even cross my mind to monetize. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

After seeing this I decided to check how many views I have on my YouTube channel... how the hell do I have 10k views on a video of me recording a Raspberry Pi powering on with my crappy cell phone?

-KuJoe

I think this is a step in the right direction.

But I have no idea how someone can take the WSJ seriously. The video has the N word in the title, thus making only 12$ over it's life time. That proves that YouTube's system already works.

And the majority of YT's users know that an ad playing before a video isn't an endorsement from the company. The WSJ inflated this almost non issue into the biggest issue on the planet.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

this is definitely a step in the right direction, but the downside however is that as a small channel/creator 10k views can be a lot, especially those starting out, okey, money wise it shouldn't make any/much difference. But imagine small channels that have roughly 10-20 views on a video, again it's just starting out then, but 10k is quite a lot if you work with these amounts.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

15 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Snippity snip snip

Just an idea, but what if someone from staff made a gaming channel with aaa games just to see how hard it is to grow on YouTube. Have all the good editing but just don't say the name or any details that can give it away