Tips on Best DPI for FPS-Like Games

UppercaseOne
Go to solution Solved by Snazzy,

if you play games like Overwatch (or any game with shooting range) , go to the range and try to run around targets and keep crosshairs on the middle of the targets (or lenses in overwatch) and the one in you feel most comfortable is the sensitivity you should start playing with.

I have recently received my Razer Mamba TE Wired mouse and love vast amount of customizable options, but there's one thing I can't seem to wrap my head around: DPI. I've tinkered with the settings and found a good neutral spot for browsing, but as I start to get into more competitive gaming I can't seem to find a sweet-spot for games like FPS's. Are there any tips or set presets that I should try that you have? 

I have the same question in a way, 

I've never understood the point of dpi if it just makes your mouse more sensitive. You can increase sensitivity in game? 

I personally use the Corsair M65 at 1500DPI on pretty much everything 

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

Just set the DPI to 800 or something, or keep the DPI you like using the desktop at, then configure it in game so that you can make a 360 and a bit more without drifting off your mouse mat.

There are minor benifits to have a higher DPI unlike what some people claim, although it's probably not worth the effort

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

The Mamba TE's sensor sucks for everything really

The sensor has acceleration built in, so it will feel very different and strange in FPS games every time you play.

It's a fucking horrible mouse for FPS and gaming.. 

idk

if you play games like Overwatch (or any game with shooting range) , go to the range and try to run around targets and keep crosshairs on the middle of the targets (or lenses in overwatch) and the one in you feel most comfortable is the sensitivity you should start playing with.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

rankdpi

In most FPS's, better players tend to use lower sensitivities. CS:GO is a special case since there's a lot of sensitivity adjustment going on inside the game itself too, but the trend is fairly obvious.

I'd normally recommend 400, but the Mamba's high weight and laser sensor mean it isn't ideal for low-sensitivity FPS play. The Deathadder is a much better mouse for that sort of thing. 

8 hours ago, UppercaseOne said:

I have recently received my Razer Mamba TE Wired mouse and love vast amount of customizable options, but there's one thing I can't seem to wrap my head around: DPI. I've tinkered with the settings and found a good neutral spot for browsing, but as I start to get into more competitive gaming I can't seem to find a sweet-spot for games like FPS's. Are there any tips or set presets that I should try that you have? 

Depends on your surface, set it to the highest possible cpi step without noticeable jitter to counteract PTE's CPI damping.

The sensor has acceleration built in, so it will feel very different and strange in FPS games every time you play.

It's a fucking horrible mouse for FPS and gaming.. 

It doesnt as it is using PTE, it however has the aforementioned CPI damping, which unfortunately isnt adjustable on Razer mice. Also depends on the surface how well PTE does.

1000dpi, i use my old mousemat for refernce, it was about 32cm long and i use a sense ingame that makes me spin just under one revolution ingame in that distance with 1000dpi mouse

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

57 minutes ago, woll3 said:

Depends on your surface, set it to the highest possible cpi step without noticeable jitter to counteract PTE's CPI damping.

It doesnt as it is using PTE, it however has the aforementioned CPI damping, which unfortunately isnt adjustable on Razer mice. Also depends on the surface how well PTE does.

Sorry, got it confused with A9500/9800. 

Still a mediocre sensor, z-bug and cloth pad (graphics and a non-black or white surface make it skip) issues make it unusable (I'm not going back to hard pads) yet Razer still pushes it in their mice.. 

idk

• 7 months later...