Can i charge my usb C phone with my usb C laptop charger?

WorriedPotato

This is probably a stupid question, but im wondering if i could use my laptop charger to charge my phone.

They both use Usb type C but i don't know anything about volts and all the electricity related stuff so that's why I'm asking. 

Laptop: razer blade stealth 

Phone: Oneplus 3 

Thanks in advance!

No. Mostlikely.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Well, theoretically Yes. BUT:

Some manugacturers use the connector type and use different voltages.. Look at the label on the laptop charger and search for something like 5V or 7.2V.

If it is 5V and 3A or 5A it should be totally fine. if it is something like 9V and 5A, you should not charge your fhone with it.

Ok I just looked it up.. Do not charge you phone wit hthe Razer Blade stealth charger (45W model).. It's got 20V output voltage.. That'll fry your phone..

I love Small Form factor ITX rigs.

Take a look at this..

razer blade stealth charger ltt.JPG

54 minutes ago, fredih said:

Take a look at this..

razer blade stealth charger ltt.JPG

you can and its probably safe IF the oneplus 3 and razer charger follows usb c spec to the letter. usb c chips should be able to handle it since the specifications for charging are universal and not optional like thunderbolt. you can charge a nexus 6p and the google pixel with that brick without problems. the brick can simply turn down the voltage as usb c power delivery specifications require

With the laptops taken care of, we took a closer look at the Nexus 6P, plugging it into each of the laptops using the stock USB-C cable to see what would happen. (The laptops were powered on and running on battery.) In all cases, the phone charged, but as we discovered with the power bricks, the Nexus 6P’s charge rate varied. On the Spectre X2 and the MacBook 12, the Nexus 6P charged at its presumably higher “Charging rapidly” rate. On the Google Chromebook Pixel, however, the Nexus 6P reported “Charging slowly,” which suggests a step down from just “Charging.”

chargingslowly

Oddly, when plugged into Google’s new Pixel over a standard USB-C cable, the Google Nexus 6P charged at its slowest rate.

The discrepancies between the Nexus 6P’s charging rate with the power bricks versus the standard cable is likely due to how much power the USB-C ports on the devices put out versus how much the power bricks put out. If you’re curious about the voltage and amperage of the various bricks, see the chart below. 

usbcchargers updated

Not all USB Type-C chargers are the same

Ever since Google’s new Chromebook Pixel came out, I’ve wondered what would happen if you plugged a separate USB-C charger into each of its USB-C ports. Like the Spectre X2, the Pixel can be charged from either port. I plugged the MacBook’s charger into the left port and the Pixel's charger into the right port.

Nothing caught on fire (darn!), but the Pixel is smart enough that you can pull a charger from either port and it won’t skip a beat. I could, for example, unplug the Pixel charger and have it run on the MacBook charger, and then plug the Pixel charger back in and unplug the MacBook charger, without interruption.

HP mentioned that one of the issues still being worked out is how the spec responds when you connect one laptop’s USB-C port to another’s. In theory, the Power Delivery spec allows you to charge a friend’s laptop from yours, just as if you were jump-starting someone’s car.  

usbconusbcaction Gordon Mah Ung

USB-C’s Power Delivery mode should allow the Google Pixel to charge the Apple MacBook 12.

To put that to the test, I took the Google Pixel with its battery at 100 percent and plugged it into the MacBook 12 at 61 percent. The charging icon on the MacBook changed, but its battery continued to discharge, and the OS indicated that it wasn’t charging at all.

itsnotreallycharging Gordon Mah Ung

The lightning bolt suggests that the Google Pixel is charging the MacBook 12, but the latter started out with 61 percent battery.

Conclusion

I have no doubt that universal charging for laptops will be a reality one day on laptops, but right now it’s pretty messy. Whether that’s because vendors are “waiting” for the new USB Power Delivery 3.0 spec or they still have warehouses of power bricks to purge, I don’t know.

When I started this project with three laptops, I was far more optimistic that it would “just work.” Since I’ve added two more laptops to the mix, it’s become clear to me that a lot more has to happen first.

The most embarrassing aspect for PC fans is it’s the OEMs who seem to be be in the most disagreement, while Apple, Google, and Huawei are more accepting. To be fair to PC OEMs, they make the most laptops. Apple and Google’s MacBook 12 and Pixel units moved probably don’t add up to 1 percent of what Dell and HP ship in a month, so there’s simply less interoperability to worry about.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3017182/hardware/usb-c-charging-universal-or-bust-we-plug-in-every-device-we-have-to-chase-the-dream.html

usb c power delivery spec testing mandatory by the usb concernum

Over Current Test
A.
Purpose:
The
Over Current
Test verifies that
the PD Source port follows the overcurrent
requirements.
This test is required for any PD source
-
capable port.
B.
Asserts Covered:
7.1.8.3#1
7.1.8.3#2
C.
Test Procedure:
T
he
SPT
attaches all ports and utilizes a Sink Capability of 5V
, 0A.
For each port with which the
SPT
establishes a PD contract:
a.
The SPT r
equest
s
the
max current for
the negotiated source PDO
b.
T
he
SPT
applies
the negotiated current
load to the port
in
25% increments
c.
The SPT increases the load by 100mA
d.
If a hard reset is detected
, t
he SPT verifies
:
T
he voltage transition below vSrcValid min
occur
s
within tSrcOcPresent
after the load was
increased.
After transition below vSrcValid, t
he voltage decreases monotonically
toward vSafe0V
e.
Else
if the load
=<
5.5A,
Repeat step
C.2.c
c
f.
Disable the load
g.
The SPT informs the user of the value at which the over current condition
triggered or the maximum current applied if it did not trigger.
h.
Repeat step
C.2.a
for t
he next
advertised
Source Capability PDO
until no more
exist

http://www.usb.org/developers/compliance/usbcpd_testing/USB-C_Source_Power_Test_Specification_2015_12_30.pdf

if you want to know for sure ask oneplus reps if the oneplus 3 follows voltage negotiation specification so it doesn't fry itself.

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

usb c chips should be able to handle it since the specifications for charging are universal and not optional like thunderbolt. you can charge a nexus 6p and the google pixel with that brick without problems. the brick can simply turn down the voltage as usb c power delivery specifications require

1 minute ago, tlink said:

if you want to know for sure ask oneplus reps if the oneplus 3 follows voltage negotiation specification so it doesn't fry itself.

Wow kudos to you my friend..  Looks like you spent some time researching that.. Ok I already knew the thing with limiting voltage when charging via USB C, but yeah.. It depends on if the hardware behind the ports is up to standards.. You never know if you never try ;) just kidding.. I'd contact the supoort as well.. but why not simply get a cheap usb c cable for charging and just plug it into some other USB charger? Seems safer and less time consuming to me.. If you're willing to apend $3 or so..

4 minutes ago, fredih said:

Wow kudos to you my friend..  Looks like you spent some time researching that.. Ok I already knew the thing with limiting voltage when charging via USB C, but yeah.. It depends on if the hardware behind the ports is up to standards.. You never know if you never try ;) just kidding.. I'd contact the supoort as well.. but why not simply get a cheap usb c cable for charging and just plug it into some other USB charger? Seems safer and less time consuming to me.. If you're willing to apend $3 or so..

depends on if its a conversion cable to usb A or B. if its a conversion cable than it should really have the appropriate resistance on the cable since it can destroy whatever is on the A or B end. cheap usb c cables might also catch fire when using OPPO's quick charge or whatever its called. but yea usb c to usb c cables are less of a hassle but i would still buy from a reputable seller. now days they are more important than usb a or b where because usb c can deliver way more power which can cause a house fire if its not up to spec. usb a or b won't do that as quickly. buying real cheap usb c cables is becoming like buying a cheap power supply for a computer, its not a great idea. i think oneplus sells oneplus 3 usb c cables for 15 bucks or so which is worth the money imo if it negates the risks.

and yea i quite like usb c but the specifications are such a mess with all the optional crap. nobody knows what will work and what won't work. they really should start slapping company's their wrist when they are not up to spec. they should require them to independently validate if products are up to spec so consumers don't have to deal with this mess.

https://oneplus.net/dash-type-c-cable

• 1 month later...

If the Oneplus 3 is USB-C compliant, which it is from what I read, it should work since the Razer Blade Stealth's charger was tested to be USB-C PD compliant, even though it states 20v and 2.25amps on the charger/site it can do lower than that.

https://gtrusted.com/review/71988

• 3 months later...

Well I'm charging my Xperia XZ Premium with my MacBook Pro touchbar charger right now. It's slower than the phone's quick charge 3 charger. but it works!! absolutely safe

• 11 months later...

charged one plus two with dell d6000 dock. all well

21 hours ago, Machan2k6 said:

charged one plus two with dell d6000 dock. all well

This is from 1.5 years ago

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

• 2 weeks later...

If smartphones and laptops both have the same connector type, manufacturers need to expect users to use them interchangeably. I guess smartphones just either block away 20 V or something happens with USB-PD and no power flows.

A solution for rounded DC connectors is: Some car USB chargers support 12 to 24 V, laptops have 19V to 20V.

You can connect the aluminium to the car chargers (+ midle to + tip) and - outer to - outer.

No reverse polarity that could break things.

Since this is the first post you see when you google the related question, I'll put this here:
I'm charging my S9 with my lenovo ideapad charger and it charges at a seemingly standard rate.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

If it's the same connector people are going to do it so they would have prepared for it. MKBHD uses a MacBook charger for his phone and had 0 issues

On 29.8.2018 at 11:25 PM, KendoSapion said:

I'm charging my S9 with my lenovo ideapad charger and it charges at a seemingly standard rate.

• Does the IdeaPad charger support USB-PD?
  • Or does the S9 support 20V power input?
  • Does it heat up?
  • What does the label of the IdeaPad charger say?

My friend's Galaxy S7 did refuse to charge starting at 10 V (tested using laboratory power supply).

2 hours ago, NextMarcus said:
  • Does the IdeaPad charger support USB-PD?
  • Or does the S9 support 20V power input?
  • Does it heat up?
  • What does the label of the IdeaPad charger say?

My friend's Galaxy S7 did refuse to charge starting at 10 V (tested using laboratory power supply).

I can't answer all of these while I'm at work but no it didn't heat up. I just randomly thought I'd check and was pleasantly surprised 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

• 4 weeks later...

I've actually been watching this thread for awhile and can say I have safely charged my s8+ with no problems with the 45 watt stealth charger.

This site says that "The Razer Blade Stealth power adapter offers 5 volts @ 3 amps (15 watts), 12 volts @ 3 amps (36 watts), and 20 volts @ 2.25 amps (45 watts) power options"  
https://gtrusted.com/how-the-razer-blade-stealth-charges-with-its-power-adapter-using-usb-power-delivery

On 24.9.2018 at 6:36 PM, Jasongreat said:

This site says that "The Razer Blade Stealth power adapter offers 5 volts @ 3 amps (15 watts), 12 volts @ 3 amps (36 watts), and 20 volts @ 2.25 amps (45 watts) power options"  

Did the S8+ use 12V or 5V?

Did it charge as quickly as using the original Samsung charger (which used Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 negotiation standard, 9V 1.67A)?

I’d think it would be fine. I was under the impression that the phone is smart enough to determine how much power it can take, so using an overpowered charger wouldn’t be an issue. 

I know you can use a MacBook Pro charger on a MacBook Air without issue (which is rated for ~double the power output of the air charger). Worst case scenario the phone doesn’t charge.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You can. Seriously, I know its iold, but why is it ranked so high in searches when is full of bulshit.

• 3 months later...

The output of my lenovo charger says: 
5V/2A, 9V/2A, 15V/3A or 20V/2.25A

Does that mean it fits into a smartphone (huawei p20 pro) with input is 5V - 2A?

Thanks! 

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 3:28 PM, Kaauan said:

The output of my lenovo charger says: 
5V/2A, 9V/2A, 15V/3A or 20V/2.25A

Does that mean it fits into a smartphone (huawei p20 pro) with input is 5V - 2A?

Thanks! 

+1 I have a multi output power laptop charger (Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro 65W). Can I charge my Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro which is normally charged with its included 27W charger ?