Best GPU that won't be bottlenecked by an i7 920

Sdot

What is the best GPU I can get that will not be bottlenecked by an i7 920? Or is there a website that I can use to figure this out? My i7 920 is stock @ 2.6Ghz

Maybe the RX 480 could handle it.

The geek himself.

Non overclocked:

GTX 1050 TI

Maybe Rx 470 but thats pushing it

Overclocked GTX 1060/RX480 

Let's agree to disagree

460 or 1050 Ti.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Thanks guys, I may try to overclock a bit and throw a 1060 in here.

Just now, Sdot said:

Overclock that CPU, it may eliminate the bottleneck. At least get it to 3.2GHz.

The geek himself.

OC and get an RX 480, best price to performance RN

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

it would completely depend on what resolution tbh. 

The geek himself.

At 4.2ghz it will handle a 1070 just fine.

This is what happens when you take a xeon to 4.2ghz in CSGO.

Xeon E5640 2.66ghz, DDR3 @ rated spec 1066mhz

First result. CSGO 720P lowest settings, no AA, 4x AF, multicore render enabled, HTRF sound enabled.

Bot match casual on Nuke, playing as T, only pistol round with Deagle.

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
  8890,     54679,  86, 233, 162.585

Xeon E5640 4.2ghz DDR3 way above spec @ 1980mhz

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
 18127,     63274, 142, 477, 286.484

I have a intel xeon cpu and a 1070 i hope this makes you salty.

9 minutes ago, Sdot said:

I would definitely go Nvidia for the lower DX11 driver overhead since most games are still DX11.

An i7 920 at 2.66ghz going to 4.2ghz net's you an average FPS increase of 76.2% in CPU limited games which is ridiculously massive.

Source, CSGO benchmark.

7 minutes ago, Aphexxis said:

An i7 920 at 2.66ghz going to 4.2ghz net's you an average FPS increase of 76.2% in CPU limited games which is ridiculously massive.

Source, CSGO benchmark.

It's also going to raise your power bill by 15% and heat your house for the winter.

Source, my old 920. And my old house. In Colorado.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

It's also going to raise your power bill by 15% and heat your house for the winter.

Source, my old 920. And my old house. In Colorado.

80W TDP and 32nm.. (xeon) you can get the D0 stepping 920 to 4.2ghz

1 minute ago, Aphexxis said:

80W TDP and 32nm.. (xeon) you can get the D0 stepping 920 to 4.2ghz

...the 920 has a TDP of 130W. The Xeon is, you know, a Xeon. Very different.

The OP isn't asking about a Xeon, they're asking about a 920. Let's please not give them advice that will burn their house down, ok?

OP, for one brief, glorious moment before the X58 motherboard that my -920 was strapped to went boom, I had a GTX 960 hooked up to it. It was beautiful, and the 920 held its own. Like others have suggested, the 1050 Ti or 470 would be a good stopping point if you're not planning on upgrading to a new CPU and mobo anytime soon. The 470 is dirty-balls cheap right now and totally worth your dollar.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

...the 920 has a TDP of 130W. The Xeon is, you know, a Xeon. Very different.

The OP isn't asking about a Xeon, they're asking about a 920. Let's please not give them advice that will burn their house down, ok?

OP, for one brief, glorious moment before the X58 motherboard that my -920 was strapped to went boom, I had a GTX 960 hooked up to it. It was beautiful, and the 920 held its own. Like others have suggested, the 1050 Ti or 470 would be a good stopping point if you're not planning on upgrading to a new CPU and mobo anytime soon. The 470 is dirty-balls cheap right now and totally worth your dollar.

Sucks to be you.. overclocking takes skill at least on x58 where you have to balance QPI voltages, BCLK and PCI speeds which i and other here can guide the OP with so long as it's a good motherboard he is using.

It's really something when almost all ASUS boards came standard with 16 phase designs.. LOL no boards were ever made as well as the x58 boards.

I should have probably mentioned that I currently have an R9 290 in it.

Sucks to be you.. overclocking takes skill at least on x58 where you have to balance QPI voltages, BCLK and PCI speeds which i and other here can guide the OP with so long as it's a good motherboard he is using.

It's really something when almost all ASUS boards came standard with 16 phase designs.. LOL no boards were ever made as well as the x58 boards.

My overclocking wasn't the reason that the motherboard went boom. The Antec HCG-750 that was chained to it was. I wasn't even OCing on the board that died lol

Just now, Sdot said:

I should have probably mentioned that I currently have an R9 290 in it.

You're good.

Just now, aisle9 said:

My overclocking wasn't the reason that the motherboard went boom. The Antec HCG-750 that was chained to it was. I wasn't even OCing on the board that died lol

You're good.

That sucks lol :/

With sane-person overclocking, probably an RX 470, since at stock speeds my similarly-ancient Phenom II 6 core bottlenecks mine, but it seems to be fine when running at 3.7GHz or above in games that are not Forza Horizon 3.

Just saw that you're already running an R9 290.  Aside from a couple of games, the 290 is around 10% faster than the 470 (although the 470 uses half the power).  Overclock your CPU.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

Just now, Phate.exe said:

With sane-person overclocking, probably an RX 470, since at stock speeds my similarly-ancient Phenom II 6 core bottlenecks mine, but it seems to be fine when running at 3.7GHz or above in games that are not Forza Horizon 3.

Just saw that you're already running an R9 290.  Aside from a couple of games, the 290 is around 10% faster than the 470 (although the 470 uses half the power).  Overclock your CPU.

Phenom II, say 3.7ghz on your Phenom vs 3.7ghz on the i7, the i7 will flat out destroy it in single core performance, these CPU's at the same clock speeds are not even comparable, they were back in the day where games were not CPU demanding and GPU's were still toys.

Honestly I would suggest a 1050 Ti, having used that and a 1060 with a Xeon E3-1220 which is 20% faster than your CPU my CPU is just enough for the 1060 in most games but then there are some more CPU bound games like GTA 5 that suffer.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

Here is an idea of how fast a 920 would be around 4ghz, faster than FX at 5ghz (single thread)

Untitledffff.thumb.png.9a76fc8dd755089815ae606106fc8ee7.png

Phenom II, say 3.7ghz on your Phenom vs 3.7ghz on the i7, the i7 will flat out destroy it in single core performance, these CPU's at the same clock speeds are not even comparable, they were back in the day where games were not CPU demanding and GPU's were still toys.

Well aware, and I never said they were equal clock-for-clock.  Calm your tits.

I have a similarly-old chip (arguably AMD's last remotely-competitive chip until recently), that runs at a higher speed stock, and I currently have overclocked a fair bit.  His 920 is stock.

Stock, both his CPU and mine are somewhere around a 435 in Cinebench R15.  With the overclock I run for gaming, mine is around 560-570.

I'd call them fairly comparable, especially in the sense that OP's bottleneck will largely go away with a CPU overclock, and that there really isn't much use in buying a newer GPU aside from power consumption, since the 920 is already bottlenecking their current card.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.