How to speed up my wireless connection?

I just got gigabit internet from AT&T a few days ago, and I'm using a wireless connection. I get around 200 up/down average, and the router is in the room next to where my PC is. This is the network adapter I have. Are there any tweaks I can do to the network to get better speeds?

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

|HDD: Western Digital 1TB | Case: NZXT Source 210 | PSU: Corsair CX430W | 

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

run a ethernet cable, not wifi

Would, but I can't 

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

if WiFi is absolutely need buy a server WiFi card of of eBay or newegg.com

1 minute ago, Camcognito said:

Would, but I can't 

Why you can't do that?

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

1 minute ago, R3ep3r said:

Why you can't do that?

My parents have a computer set up to ethernet already in another room, and they don't really care about what I get enough to do that

Just now, Camcognito said:

My parents have a computer set up to ethernet already in another room, and they don't really care about what I get enough to do that

Why don't you switch the roles? xD Connect their PC to the wifi and yours to the ethernet.

Also if you simply cannot do that, there are some network spliters available on the internet. With 4 ports I think.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

Get a router that supports 802.11 AC. If possible, it should also support Wave 2, or MUMIMO tech, but those are expensive and not really needed to achieve 1Gpbs.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, R3ep3r said:

Why don't you switch the roles? xD Connect their PC to the wifi and yours to the ethernet.

Also if you simply cannot do that, there are some network spliters available on the internet. With 4 ports I think.

heh they won't let me lol, I guess if there isn't an easy way to speed it up 200 is fine really 

Better router, better card if that's an option. Power line adapters can be a better solution but can be messy as well.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Get a router that supports 802.11 AC. If possible, it should also support Wave 2, or MUMIMO tech, but those are expensive and not really needed to achieve 1Gpbs.

I believe the standard is AD now. 

10 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

Really?

Capture.PNG.a9a76cffcd3a731c5d45bdf42f669555.PNG← WAIT WHAT THE FUCK!?

So... AY is the latest? Even though it's still in development.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Really?

Strange... I was told that "We're on AD now" by someone. Didn't know that things were further in development than that. 

29 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Really?

AD is the current standard. The other standards are future standards the IEEE is working on. Also some of these standards although related to WiFI, not all of them deal with the wireless communication. 

802.11 AD uses 60 Ghz and unless the OP wants to cut a hole in the wall, its not going to help him. Why? Well 60Ghz cant go thru walls. 

802.11 AH will bring 900 Mhz to WiFi, but will only have about a 30 Mbps speed. Great range however, its going to be for Smart Home devices like Thermostats and locks and shit. 

802.11 AX is an upgrade to the current AC standard, faster speeds I think. 

Just to add AD routers might not be sold in retailers yet. I have only seen them sold directly from manufactures. I also have not seen any AD wireless cards or devices as of yet. Not sure if this standard is going to catch on or not. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Hari S said:

a server WiFi card

i had a little chuckle when i read that..

please explain me, where did you get the idea there's any server infrastructure on earth with servers running of server specific wifi cards?

---

snarky comment aside, either get both a wireless AC access point and wifi card, or convince the old folks to run a cable, when they see a bill for an AP and wifi card, chances are they'll be right there with a spool of CAT5e :P

1 hour ago, IAmLamp said:

56 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Really?

sounds like CAT8 ethernet cables honestly, it's a matter of "the standard exists for when we need it... we dont."

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

server wifi  cards arent a thing

Yup, and why would it be...who on earth would run a server on wifi :D Oh no I just gave Linus an Idea...

If the OP has COAX at both locations he can look in to MOCA 2.0 adapters. They are kind of expensive, but work better than power line adapters as COAX was designed to carry data while electrical wires were not. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.