Seas Idunn DIY Speaker Build Log (FINALLY FINISHED)

rhyseyness
Just now, Dackzy said:

Eh, just gotta work a lot today and then hand it in tomorrow and on Friday.

So I can expect a long very detailed review in a months time? :P 

You know after a month of work I expect them to look perfect /s

Good luck putting them together and I hope they sound good!

Sounds like you've got it all planned out (much like I did with my speakers xD )

Haha, these will be the first high end speakers I've ever heard... so my review would be like "OMG THESE ARE THE BEST THINGS I'VE EVER HEARD."

I'm just hoping they don't look like they cost a tenner from a boot sale!

My god if they don't sound good I think I'll probably throw them out a third storey window!

1 minute ago, rhyseyness said:

Sounds like you've got it all planned out (much like I did with my speakers xD )

Haha, these will be the first high end speakers I've ever heard... so my review would be like "OMG THESE ARE THE BEST THINGS I'VE EVER HEARD."

I'm just hoping they don't look like they cost a tenner from a boot sale!

My god if they don't sound good I think I'll probably throw them out a third storey window!

Well I have planned every assignment out. I had two English, one idea history, one mek, one tech and I have this plan where wrote what I did all day a given day. The English assignments are done, same with the tech report. the mek report is almost done and the idea history is like 5 hours of work ez m8. Plus my teachers thought we should make the reports at university level, which means at least 30 and max 50 normal pages (2400 sings with spaces makes a single normal page). 

I believe in you! I think you are going to make them look nice and that they are going to sound good :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

25 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well I have planned every assignment out. I had two English, one idea history, one mek, one tech and I have this plan where wrote what I did all day a given day. The English assignments are done, same with the tech report. the mek report is almost done and the idea history is like 5 hours of work ez m8. Plus my teachers thought we should make the reports at university level, which means at least 30 and max 50 normal pages (2400 sings with spaces makes a single normal page). 

I believe in you! I think you are going to make them look nice and that they are going to sound good :D 

That's only like... 8 hours work over 2 days! Easy! Lol.

God, I do not miss school xD

Thanks dude!

Doing the build log here has certainly helped.

I want them to be better because more people will be seeing them :)

Once I'd accepted that I didn't care how long it would take, it's been much easier to make sure everything's good.

At the start, I didn't really want them to take more than a couple of weeks, but at this point, if it means them looking great, I don't mind if it takes another month xD

Started on 30th March... Time flies when you're sanding paint!

40 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

That's only like... 8 hours work over 2 days! Easy! Lol.

God, I do not miss school xD

Thanks dude!

Doing the build log here has certainly helped.

I want them to be better because more people will be seeing them :)

Once I'd accepted that I didn't care how long it would take, it's been much easier to make sure everything's good.

At the start, I didn't really want them to take more than a couple of weeks, but at this point, if it means them looking great, I don't mind if it takes another month xD

Started on 30th March... Time flies when you're sanding paint!

glad that we help you push yourself to new levels :D 

(I may or may not build a pair myself)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, rhyseyness said:

Hahaha, be sure to do a build log! 

Don't want to make you sad ;)xD 

I got too many upgrades coming in this year, so this project might be a project that first happens next year or even later.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Don't want to make you sad ;)xD 

I got too many upgrades coming in this year, so this project might be a project that first happens next year or even later.

Lol! New objective: Make my speakers prettier than Dackzy ever can xD

I'd been planning this since early 2016, so I completely understand!

2 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

Lol! New objective: Make my speakers prettier than Dackzy ever can xD

now you are just teasing me.... I could drop one upgrade and then make these speakers (and make them perfect) :D 

2 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Pls no

Hahahaha

Well, it wouldn't be in this month, but I could do it next month if I dropped a CPU upgrade and platform upgrade... 

I won't do it just yet, since I want a new CPU and my DAC and amp upgrade is a must :D 

Day 31

So started touch ups yesterday.

To be honest, they look awful, but gotta look worse before they look better right?

Re-primed all the areas which needed touching up, and going to re-paint today.

1 coat primer (done), 2 coats of paint then 3 or 4 of clear coat.

A day's drying between each... that's 7 days, plus another week for the top coat to dry enough for sanding.

Probably going to try and get a couple of coats on a day over the weekend (one early morning and one late evening).

2 weeks to go I reckon... just in time to buy the amp!

Drivers and crossovers have been delayed, and are now arriving tomorrow (Friday).

Going to build these up tomorrow afternoon, ready for when the woodwork is finally done.

Some photos... I know. They'll look a million times better after a sand and a coat of black:

Spoiler

IMAG0686.thumb.jpg.b629d9acdc23bb52ebf48cf64a5240d4.jpg

Cleaned and sanded ready for fixing.

IMAG0691.thumb.jpg.4441cb51d985fdb05b3d74dc8a9fb139.jpg

IMAG0688.thumb.jpg.54fcdce46e1cefc0b9fc399e86c915e3.jpg

IMAG0687.thumb.jpg.500641fc96b4599a1ecdcaf01040c371.jpg

All primed :)

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Well, it wouldn't be in this month, but I could do it next month if I dropped a CPU upgrade and platform upgrade... 

I won't do it just yet, since I want a new CPU and my DAC and amp upgrade is a must :D 

I can enjoy mine for at least a month then xD

I can enjoy mine for at least a month then xD

probably for more than a month, more like 9-10 months. Since I also have some headphone buying plans....

4 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Aren't you always buying headphones? xD

no?....:ph34r:

It is about 4 months since I last bought some headphones and that was some cheap IEMs from china. Before that and it was some free things and my HE 560's

Just now, Dackzy said:

no?....:ph34r:

It is about 4 months since I last bought some headphones and that was some cheap IEMs from china. Before that and it was some free things and my HE 560's

Ah, I'll let you off then, lol.

New headphones will be next on my list after these. Still using ATH-M50's.

15 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Ah, I'll let you off then, lol.

New headphones will be next on my list after these. Still using ATH-M50's.

you feel da upgrade itch? Because I do, I want to upgrade my closed headphones, maybe to some good IEMs like the Etymotic ER-4SR.

4 hours ago, Dackzy said:

you feel da upgrade itch? Because I do, I want to upgrade my closed headphones, maybe to some good IEMs like the Etymotic ER-4SR.

Yup!

I'd like a nice pair of open backed (don't have any at the moment), and some good IEMs to replace the M50's.

Just gotta work out where the money's coming from, lol.

Just now, rhyseyness said:

Yup!

I'd like a nice pair of open backed (don't have any at the moment), and some good IEMs to replace the M50's.

Just gotta work out where the money's coming from, lol.

it is coming from a summer job or just a normal job and ofc the audio god xD 

Nah, normal job.

I'm an electronics engineer for BAE Systems.

Paying off my car is draining all my money at the moment though :P

oh you got your own car? I am just borrowing a 206+ from my parents. I pay the gas ofc....

Yeah better pay that off, rather than buying audio stuff

17 hours ago, Dackzy said:

oh you got your own car? I am just borrowing a 206+ from my parents. I pay the gas ofc....

Yeah better pay that off, rather than buying audio stuff

Yea, I'm 23, lol.

Mk5 Golf TSI.

I earn enough to do both, I'm just terrible for wasting money, lmao.

Day 32

Thick coat of black went on yesterday.

Gonna need some serious sanding and probably another coat.

Crossover parts and drivers arriving today.

Going to get the crossovers built up ready for when the painting's finally done.

Clear coat this weekend, then a week of waiting for that to dry before final sanding again.

Photos (The white bits are just water/washing up liquid and rub off. Will be giving them a good clean and dry):

Spoiler

IMAG0693.thumb.jpg.a409cbf261ea389b70d1256f077f7739.jpg

IMAG0694.thumb.jpg.4306423b3b4c92ba6726549dd965ce54.jpg

IMAG0695.thumb.jpg.882229f9b45cf95be452aba1826f8709.jpg

IMAG0696.thumb.jpg.98d924cdb92289741e8d5d1ece9b3619.jpg

9 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Yea, I'm 23, lol.

Mk5 Golf TSI.

I earn enough to do both, I'm just terrible for wasting money, lmao.

Day 32

Thick coat of black went on yesterday.

Gonna need some serious sanding and probably another coat.

Crossover parts and drivers arriving today.

Going to get the crossovers built up ready for when the painting's finally done.

Clear coat this weekend, then a week of waiting for that to dry before final sanding again.

Photos (The white bits are just water/washing up liquid and rub off. Will be giving them a good clean and dry):

Hide contents

IMAG0693.thumb.jpg.a409cbf261ea389b70d1256f077f7739.jpg

IMAG0694.thumb.jpg.4306423b3b4c92ba6726549dd965ce54.jpg

IMAG0695.thumb.jpg.882229f9b45cf95be452aba1826f8709.jpg

IMAG0696.thumb.jpg.98d924cdb92289741e8d5d1ece9b3619.jpg

They are starting to look quite decent. I am impressed. Hell you are probably going to finish them on the same "level" as I would.

Just now, Dackzy said:

They are starting to look quite decent. I am impressed. Hell you are probably going to finish them on the same "level" as I would.

If I manage that, I will be VERY happy:)

(Considering this is basically my first time doing a proper woodwork project).

If I manage that, I will be VERY happy:)

(Considering this is basically my first time doing a proper woodwork project).

Well I am not a woodworking god, but yes you should be very happy. A lot of people just quit before the get to the stage where it is starting to look good and have a nice finish to it. I am glad that you aren't one of those people.

I think the nicer you make the finish the more you are going to want to keep them, while if you made them ugly then you kinda want to get rid of them within a year or two. That is at least my experience.