Seas Idunn DIY Speaker Build Log (FINALLY FINISHED)

rhyseyness
4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

god damn you got zero room for them right now xD

Also where did you buy that kit? If they turn out good, then I might also make some

Tell me about it xD

http://www.speaker-cabinet-kit.com/

The terminals and bass reflex tube can be found on their partner site:

http://en.toutlehautparleur.com/

Drivers and crossover bits from:

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/

2 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Tell me about it xD

http://www.speaker-cabinet-kit.com/

The terminals and bass reflex tube can be found on their partner site:

http://en.toutlehautparleur.com/

Drivers and crossover bits from:

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/

huh, not a bad price for it all. 430€ + shipping isn't bad at all. Your desk/sitting area is going to be your next project. It looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you :D 

Thanks for the links I will remember them and maybe make my own in three months time :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

huh, not a bad price for it all. 430€ + shipping isn't bad at all. Your desk/sitting area is going to be your next project. It looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you :D 

Thanks for the links I will remember them and maybe make my own in three months time :D 

A project I'm not looking forward to quite as much as this one xD

I certainly have some work to do!

No problem! Would love to see it done properly 9_9

Just now, rhyseyness said:

A project I'm not looking forward to quite as much as this one xD

I certainly have some work to do!

No problem! Would love to see it done properly 9_9

It could be quite a fun project to revamp your sitting area.

Heh I don't think I could do it better unless I want to spend a month or two working on them :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

It could be quite a fun project to revamp your sitting area.

Heh I don't think I could do it better unless I want to spend a month or two working on them :D 

I'll do a build log for that too, to prove how boring it is xD

You seem to be someone who likes the finer things in life.

I doubt you'd be satisfied with a half arsed job 9_9

I'll do a build log for that too, to prove how boring it is xD

You seem to be someone who likes the finer things in life.

I doubt you'd be satisfied with a half arsed job 9_9

Well you might notice that you can do a thing that makes your room more spacious or something like that, which is always nice. I personally think a nice clean setup is a really good thing to have.

My setup is also fairly cramped and not that clean anymore....

Spoiler

WP_20170114_15_00_15_Rich.thumb.jpg.a5c796a073d1fa0717fd9b3e57e9fee2.jpg

What makes you think I enjoy finer things in life and can't be satisfied with a half-arsed job?

It very much depends on the thing, if it is a thing I have to look at every day and use every day then I want it to be well made and look good, but if it is something I only use a couple of times a month or something like that then I don't really care. Plus build quality is way more important to me than looks.

5 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well you might notice that you can do a thing that makes your room more spacious or something like that, which is always nice. I personally think a nice clean setup is a really good thing to have.

My setup is also fairly cramped and not that clean anymore....

What makes you think I enjoy finer things in life and can't be satisfied with a half-arsed job?

It very much depends on the thing, if it is a thing I have to look at every day and use every day then I want it to be well made and look good, but if it is something I only use a couple of times a month or something like that then I don't really care. Plus build quality is way more important to me than looks.

That's very true, and don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to my setup being all clean and beautiful.

Your setup looks nice and clean compared to mine, lol... There's so much crap on my desk xD

I have no idea why I think you like the finer things in life, just the impression I get based on your audio stuff :)

Build quality definitely > looks, imo too.

That's very true, and don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to my setup being all clean and beautiful.

Your setup looks nice and clean compared to mine, lol... There's so much crap on my desk xD

I have no idea why I think you like the finer things in life, just the impression I get based on your audio stuff :)

The hard part is to keep it clean ;) 

My cable management is crap and I need to change those speaker cables and find a place for the receiver that is less in the way....

I guess that is a good reason....

1 hour ago, rhyseyness said:

I think I win desk crap

WP_20170416_20_56_48_Pro.thumb.jpg.acb2e8bbf12a32124eea5e083d76636c.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

41 minutes ago, spwath said:

I think I win desk crap

what is that on the far left? kinda looks like an amp.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

what is that on the far left? kinda looks like an amp.

It was an amp, but didn't really work and had a reputation for exploding.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

5 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

edit: Oops, double post

9 hours ago, spwath said:

It was an amp, but didn't really work and had a reputation for exploding.

how the fuck did that get through quality control then? But it looks cool...

Just now, Dackzy said:

how the fuck did that get through quality control then? But it looks cool...

its from the 1970's.

55 minutes ago, spwath said:

its from the 1970's.

I still expect it to not blow up.... :D 

2 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

Day 18

First coat of clear coat today!!

Nothing special to report.

Does anyone know whether I should sand between coats of this?

I'm not sure.

Photo:

Reveal hidden contents

IMAG0536.thumb.jpg.d1d296025ae1b248b0eda8a5624b88ce.jpgIMAG0537.thumb.jpg.c8c51e6edb18465f48fa758429411a82.jpgIMAG0538.thumb.jpg.76917bad8d908f348cfdcb5191a692df.jpg

Sanding between coats will help to reduce the amount of time for final sanding, but it isn't required. I wouldn't use anything coarser than 1200 grit though, clear coat takes a very long time to cure, and will still be "soft" between coats. It will probably take 20-30 days to fully cure.

`

9 hours ago, klh2000 said:

Sanding between coats will help to reduce the amount of time for final sanding, but it isn't required. I wouldn't use anything coarser than 1200 grit though, clear coat takes a very long time to cure, and will still be "soft" between coats. It will probably take 20-30 days to fully cure.

Perfect, cheers.

Since I'm only leaving 24 hours between coats, I'll only sand lightly if at all.

After the final coat, I'll leave it for at least 48 hours before I start the final sanding.

The final sanding is going to take a long time either way, so I'm not too fussed if it's 3 hours instead of 2 xD

I'm planning on about 4 coats of clear, so that should be done by Friday, then I can start sanding on Monday :)

Day 20 and 21

Forgot to update yesterday.

Coat 3 and 4 of clear went on yesterday and today.

PAINTING IS FINALLY FINISHED (apart from one coat of clear on the bottoms).

I'm really happy with how they're looking, and I'll start sanding at some point next week.

The issue is this stuff (clear coat) takes FOREVER to dry.

The backs were basically as wet as when I painted them yesterday 24 hours later.

Probably leave it until Monday, then clear coat the bottoms, then start sanding on Wednesday or Thursday.

I'm so excited.

Monday is also pay day so going to order the drivers and crossover components.

I have the wiring and stuffing ready.

Polisher gets delivered tomorrow (f*** polishing and buffing by hand).

THE EXCITEMENT IS REAL AND THE END IS IN SIGHT!

Photos:

Spoiler

IMAG0558.thumb.jpg.15718dbf80189bc71a13d4143e0b738c.jpg

Coat 3 finished and somewhat dry.

IMAG0557.thumb.jpg.2a4824f9b02ed01bd2c3cd7f9e726476.jpg

More of coat 3.

IMAG0563.thumb.jpg.ee47c32cd31df39dca3a8de55620e925.jpg

Final coat :)

IMAG0564.thumb.jpg.1fe0a4554cd3b9dd03f48ce36bcbb675.jpg

Looking goooooooooooood.

IMAG0566.thumb.jpg.8234c3966fba7f378073546d9418ba73.jpg

V happy with the finish atm. Looking forward to starting sanding.

2 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

Day 20 and 21

Forgot to update yesterday.

Coat 3 and 4 of clear went on yesterday and today.

PAINTING IS FINALLY FINISHED (apart from one coat of clear on the bottoms).

I'm really happy with how they're looking, and I'll start sanding at some point next week.

The issue is this stuff (clear coat) takes FOREVER to dry.

The backs were basically as wet as when I painted them yesterday 24 hours later.

Probably leave it until Monday, then clear coat the bottoms, then start sanding on Wednesday or Thursday.

I'm so excited.

Monday is also pay day so going to order the drivers and crossover components.

I have the wiring and stuffing ready.

Polisher gets delivered tomorrow (f*** polishing and buffing by hand).

THE EXCITEMENT IS REAL AND THE END IS IN SIGHT!

Photos:

Hide contents

IMAG0558.thumb.jpg.15718dbf80189bc71a13d4143e0b738c.jpg

Coat 3 finished and somewhat dry.

IMAG0557.thumb.jpg.2a4824f9b02ed01bd2c3cd7f9e726476.jpg

More of coat 3.

IMAG0563.thumb.jpg.ee47c32cd31df39dca3a8de55620e925.jpg

Final coat :)

IMAG0564.thumb.jpg.1fe0a4554cd3b9dd03f48ce36bcbb675.jpg

Looking goooooooooooood.

IMAG0566.thumb.jpg.8234c3966fba7f378073546d9418ba73.jpg

V happy with the finish atm. Looking forward to starting sanding.

not to be a dick or anything, but I just noticed that I can see the line where the sides meet the top. This is coming from my very perfectionistic side of me, but I would try and get rid of that, not sure how. 

Are you planning to add a fabric grill or are you going to just leave the drivers exposed? 

Other than that keep up the good work! :D 

5 hours ago, Dackzy said:

not to be a dick or anything, but I just noticed that I can see the line where the sides meet the top. This is coming from my very perfectionistic side of me, but I would try and get rid of that, not sure how. 

Are you planning to add a fabric grill or are you going to just leave the drivers exposed? 

Other than that keep up the good work! :D 

You're spot on.

There is a line where the joins are. I know it's not perfect.

Ideally I'd fill this in with body filler, but I've made the decision that this is "good enough." 

I know it's not perfect. 

If I cared more I'd sand down and fill it in, but I'm more fussed about the sound than the perfect finish.

As much as I wish the finish was perfect, the time and money involved in getting finish perfect isn't worth it for me.

I'll see how it looks when it's finished but I'm not too fussed about it as is. 

No plans to use grills, but will see how they look when they're finished :)

1 minute ago, rhyseyness said:

You're spot on.

There is a line where the joins are. I know it's not perfect.

Ideally I'd fill this in with body filler, but I've made the decision that this is "good enough." 

I know it's not perfect. 

If I cared more I'd sand down and fill it in, but I'm more fussed about the sound than the perfect finish.

As much as I wish the finish was perfect, the time and money involved in getting finish perfect isn't worth it for me.

I'll see how it looks when it's finished but I'm not too fussed about it as is. 

No plans to use grills, but will see how they look when they're finished :)

Thank god you aren't like me, I would spend a month just to get it right and it would drive me insane... Yes I have a problem...

Grills can often make speakers look old or boring, but at the same time sometimes make them fit in a bit more...

I am sure they will look just fine and I am sure you wont notice it :D