I want to build my first system...

Pixelot

Ok, so i want to build a PC, obviously. Now the problem i have is, i am a complete starter and have some questions about the hardware i chose.

Here are all the parts i want to put into my PC:

• bequiet! Silent Base 800 BG001 Case
  • Asus Prime Z270-A Gaming Mainboard

• either the Core i7-7700k Unlocked Kaby-lake or the i5-7600k Unlocked Kaby-lake CPU

• HyperX FURY HX421C14FBK2/16 16GB (2x8GB sticks)

• EVGA 06G-P4-4995-KR Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0+ NVIDIA GTX 980 GPU

• 250 GB SSD (Samsung) and a 1TB Seagate HDD

• ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 360 (2x3x(so 6x) 120 mm Fans)

• Some more Fans (not sure yet)

And into this i wanted to put a 600W Corsair PSU (now that i think of it, is a bequiet! PSU better in a bequiet! case?).

Now my first question would be, does this sound good? Also is it compatible? Does the PSU give enough power? and last but not least: do i need to buy cables separately or do they come in the box?

Edit 1: spelling mistakes

Edited by Pixelot

1 minute ago, Pixelot said:

Ok, so i want to build a PC, obviously. Now the problem i have is, i am a complete starter and have some questions about the hardware i chose.

Here are all the parts i want to put into my PC:

• bequiet! Silent Base 800 BG001 Case
  • Asus Prime Z270-A Gaming Mainboard

• either the Core i7-7700k Unlocked Kaby-lake or the i5-7600k Unlocked Kaby-lake CPU

• HyperX FURY HX421C14FBK2/16 16GB (2x8GB sticks)

• EVGA 06G-P4-4995-KR Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0+ NVIDIA GTX 980 GPU

• 250 GB SSD (Samsung) and a 1TB Seagate HDD

• ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 360 (2x3x(so 6x) 120 mm Fans)

• Some more Fans (not sure yet)

And into this i wanted to put a 600W Corsair PSU (now that i think of it, is a bequiet! PSU better in a bequiet! case?).

Now my first question would be, does this sound good? Also is it compatible? Does the PSU give enough power? and last but not least: do i need to buy cables separately or do they com in the box?

Looks all fine to me

The PSU should be fine and all cables will come with it

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

why use an old gtx 980ti? how much does it cost? 600w is enough but which corsair psu are you getting? they aren't all good units. sata cables will come with your ssd/hdd and/or motherboard, the psu should come with its own power cord, you may need to buy your own display cable if the gpu/monitor doesn't include it and you'll need an ethernet cable.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Get a 1070 instead of a 980. That cooler is overkill, you can get the Dark Rock 3 for half that and it will cool for similar performance. If you really want to spend extra on water, get the Kraken x62. Get a 550w Corsair PSU instead of 600w (I am guessing the 600w is a green label and that is not of great quality, the 550w grey unit is better quality).

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

A bequiet! PSU will not be any better in a bequiet! case (bequiet! don't even make their PSUs, they just brand them, same with Corsair and many other PSU brands). If you're going with a Corsair PSU, an RMi, RMx, HXi or AX series PSU will fit well wit the rest of your components. You don't have to buy any more cables, they should all come with either your PSU or motherboard (power cables come with PSU and things like SATA data cables come with the motherboard. 

EDIT: Also, 600W is more than enough for the system. 

If it's for gaming only get i5. i7 won't make a difference. And i'd go for 10th nvidia GPu series whether it's 1060 or 1070. 600W is more than enough, you could step down to 500W to save some money or stick with 600W to have more room for upgrade in the future.

2 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

If it's for gaming only get i5. i7 won't make a difference. And i'd go for 10th nvidia GPu series whether it's 1060 or 1070. 600W is more than enough, you could step down to 500W to save some money or stick with 600W to have more room for upgrade in the future.

i7 does make a difference. It used to be that 4c4t was fine, but nowadays 8t does make a difference in many CPU intensive games.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

5 minutes ago, Sreno1 said:

Get a 1070 instead of a 980. That cooler is overkill, you can get the Dark Rock 3 for half that and it will cool for similar performance. If you really want to spend extra on water, get the Kraken x62. Get a 550w Corsair PSU instead of 600w (I am guessing the 600w is a green label and that is not of great quality, the 550w grey unit is better quality).

Dark Rock 3 is not the easiest cooler to install, especially when this is his first build

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

8 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

why use an old gtx 980? 600w is enough but which corsair psu are you getting? they aren't all good units. sata cables will come with your ssd/hdd and/or motherboard, the psu should come with its own power cord, you may need to buy your own display cable if the gpu/monitor doesn't include it and you'll need an ethernet cable.

7 minutes ago, Sreno1 said:

its a 980ti, if it can be had for less than a 1070 its generally a better deal as they clock higher

5 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

NO NO NO - please stop spouting this nonsense! i5's WERE for gaming, we have started moving away from that quite rapidly over the last 12 months and it will only become more and more common place. Not only FPS, but frame times. We are advising people to buy components to last as long as possible, i5's are already being upgraded to i7's as we speak, they are fine on a budget don't get me wrong, but we should be trying to use an i7 where ever the budget allows

42HiPN0.png

See the thread in my signature for more discussion

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, Sreno1 said:

i7 does make a difference. It used to be that 4c4t was fine, but nowadays 8t does make a difference in many CPU intensive games.

Not enough to justify the increased cost, especially once you overclock. Besides CPU intensive games usually aren't quick paced so 60Hz is quite enough.

2 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

Not enough to justify the increased cost, especially once you overclock. Besides CPU intensive games usually aren't quick paced so 60Hz is quite enough.

See my post above, it's not just about FPS and Battlefield One is pretty quick paced

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, stealth80 said:

See my post above, it's not just about FPS

If you need 8 threads I'd go for Ryzen with SMT disabled.

Just now, Verrierr said:

Why would you disable SMT? Cause reviewers got bizarre results on early release samples whilst the platform wasn't optimised? I wouldn't recommend Ryzen for gaming yet as we don't know if/or will be fixed. I say if because:

Ryzen Ram Guide

6 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

In case it wasn't clear enough:

This a frame time graph, shows consistency of frame delivery. The red and orange lines are the i7s and blue and green are the i5s.

F83oh6t.png

Notice how the i7 manage to consistently deliver frames in a timely manner, while the i5 even with delivery the same average frame rate can't maintain that average consistently. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just now, stealth80 said:

Why would you disable SMT? Cause reviewers got bizarre results on early release samples whilst the platform wasn't optimised? I wouldn't recommend Ryzen for gaming yet as we don't know if/or will be fixed.

I'd disable SMT since while 8t might make a difference 16t definietly won't and as you said it's not optimized yet. You can just turn it back on once it stops lowering your performance. I'm not really up-to-date with the news about ryzen atm but even if it's already in the past my comment still makes sense. If you need 8 threads (or more) get ryzen. It's more cost effective. Waiting for ryzen 5 could be a good choice too.

1 minute ago, Verrierr said:

I'd disable SMT since while 8t might make a difference 16t definietly won't and as you said it's not optimized yet. You can just turn it back on once it stops lowering your performance. I'm not really up-to-date with the news about ryzen atm but even if it's already in the past my comment still makes sense. If you need 8 threads (or more) get ryzen. It's more cost effective. Waiting for ryzen 5 could be a good choice too.

but you just said i5's are for gaming and i7's aren't. You're now saying fuck the 8thread CPU and go for a 8 core / 16 thread CPU and disable the 8 extra threads?

This makes zero sense. Ryzen is a work station CPU - It "may" be good for gaming if the above video is accurate and it gets the fixes it needs. But you went from stating i5 and jumping clearly past an i7 which is what the discussion was about straight to Ryzen which is relatively proven not to be a gaming chip and then gimping the whole reason why you went for it over an i7 in the first place O.o

If you aren't upto date, how can you advise people to spend their earned $$$ on something you admit to knowing nothing about, its like me giving camera advice - I just wouldn't.

All seriousness aside now, I do honestly think Ryzen will be a fantastic product once it is fixed, the platform is matured and games are developed to use it's architecture. At this time and speaking purely from a gaming perspective, the 7700k has it wrapped. If you wanna do some editing etc and game and you don't mind buying 3600mhz ram etc, go  Ryzen

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

If you aren't upto date, how can you advise people to spend their earned $$$ on something you admit to knowing nothing about, its like me giving camera advice - I just wouldn't.

Being not up-to-date is not the same thing as not knowing anything about the subject. I knew how good ryzen was a while ago and I knew that it should be getting better overtime and that was enough.

As to the threads my response was reaction to your statement that 8t are a minimum for gaming. I still think 4t would be fine for casual gaming but if you don't agree re-read this:

21 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

"if" is the key word here. And the reason you can disable SMT I stated above. Won't make a huge difference either way in non-workstation workload.

9 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

Being not up-to-date is not the same thing as not knowing anything about the subject. I knew how good ryzen was a while ago and I knew that it should be getting better overtime and that was enough.

As to the threads my response was reaction to your statement that 8t are a minimum for gaming. I still think 4t would be fine for casual gaming but if you don't agree re-read this:

"if" is the key word here. And the reason you can disable SMT I stated above. Won't make a huge difference either way in non-workstation workload.

But if you watch the video I linked above, games actually use the extra SMT threads, I don't know why you would buy a 16 thread chip and then gimp it to 50% of its potential.

Also you didn't say casual, there was no mention of casual

40 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

35 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

Battlefied One is fast paced shooter

An i5 @ 4.5ghz vs a 6700 locked at 3.7ghz

Please don't see this as me trying to assassinate you for giving advice, I just want more and more people onside with this so we are advising people correctly on what to buy to give them a strong PC going FORWARDS 2 - 3 years.

If OP decides to stream?

Ryzen Ram Guide

22 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

But if you watch the video I linked above, games actually use the extra SMT threads, I don't know why you would buy a 16 thread chip and then gimp it to 50% of its potential.

Disabling SMT does not take away 50% of potential.

1 hour ago, Verrierr said:

Disabling SMT does not take away 50% of potential.

50% of its threads, that's why I said potential and not actual usage

Ryzen Ram Guide

1 minute ago, Pixelot said:

So overall you accept my choice?

Id add some faster ram, 3000mhz would be nice and my opinion, take the crucial MX300 over the evo ssd, it is marginally slower (not noticeable outside benchmarks) and has +25gb

Ryzen Ram Guide

21 minutes ago, Pixelot said:

So overall you accept my choice?

What about the GPU? Are you sticking with 980 Ti? A number of people suggested to at least rethink it.

15 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

What about the GPU? Are you sticking with 980 Ti? A number of people suggested to at least rethink it.

im somewhat on a budget and the overclocked 980 ti sounds like a good choice. Is a 1060 that is in the same pricerange a marginal improvement?

15 minutes ago, Pixelot said:

im somewhat on a budget and the overclocked 980 ti sounds like a good choice. Is a 1060 that is in the same pricerange a marginal improvement?

What's the price for which you can get that 980?