PSU ~1 Foot Drop Onto Wood Floor

hihihi8

Hi peeps, a couple of hours ago while reorganizing, I accidentally dropped my spare PSU from about 1 foot high onto wood flooring. It landed on an edge/corner of the housing, and at first, I didn't mind too much besides thinking "ouch," however now that I think about it, when dropped motherboards land on a corner, they usually die, so what are the chances of my PSU being dead? I don't have a pc to test it with ATM (working on laptop), so i'm looking for someone who's had similar experience(s).

The PSU is a well-built Cooler-Master V1200 platinum.

Thanks

PC 0: Pinky 2.0

Ryzen 9 5950x — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 5 @3600Mhz CL14-13-13-28-288 — ROG Crosshair 8 Dark Hero — RX 6900 XT — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB — Samsung PM961 1TB  WD Blue 4TB HDD — Corsair AX1500i — Thermaltake Core P5 

PC 1: Pinky (Yes that is her name) Here's the build

Xeon E5-1680V3 — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Samsung 950Pro 512GB — Seagate 2TB HDD — Corsair RM1000 — Thermaltake Core P5

PC 1.1: Pinky (Mom Edition) Here's the build

i7-5960X — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 3 1TB — Samsung Q 870 Evo 4TB — Corsair HX850i — InWin S-Frame #190

PC 2: Red Box/Scarlet Overkill (Dual Xeon)

Xeon E5-2687W x2 — 96GB Kingston DDR3 ECC REG @1333Mhz — EVGA Classified SR-X Dual CPU — GTX 1070 SLI (2-WAY) —Hardline Loop — Samsung 750 EVO 256GB — Seagate 2TB 2.5" HDD x3 — Self-Built Case

the psu has not that much that can break. a surge can break and you can replace that. But the copper coil that is usually in there could break the weld of the board if you dang it to hard. But you know for sure if you test it out.

to be honest there's not that much fragile stuff inidea PSU. especially since the housing took the full force of the blow in this case. my guess would be that it still works fine.

@hihihi8 Poor floor......  you could always test it out with a PSU tester (cost like £10 off amazon) or use the paperclip method to see if it powers on/ 

Just now, UMxMarky94 said:

Poor floor......

Ikr! that was my first thought too haha, I surprised myself that it was not the PSU that I felt bad for lol :D

PC 0: Pinky 2.0

Ryzen 9 5950x — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 5 @3600Mhz CL14-13-13-28-288 — ROG Crosshair 8 Dark Hero — RX 6900 XT — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB — Samsung PM961 1TB  WD Blue 4TB HDD — Corsair AX1500i — Thermaltake Core P5 

PC 1: Pinky (Yes that is her name) Here's the build

Xeon E5-1680V3 — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Samsung 950Pro 512GB — Seagate 2TB HDD — Corsair RM1000 — Thermaltake Core P5

PC 1.1: Pinky (Mom Edition) Here's the build

i7-5960X — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 3 1TB — Samsung Q 870 Evo 4TB — Corsair HX850i — InWin S-Frame #190

PC 2: Red Box/Scarlet Overkill (Dual Xeon)

Xeon E5-2687W x2 — 96GB Kingston DDR3 ECC REG @1333Mhz — EVGA Classified SR-X Dual CPU — GTX 1070 SLI (2-WAY) —Hardline Loop — Samsung 750 EVO 256GB — Seagate 2TB 2.5" HDD x3 — Self-Built Case

@hihihi8

PSU can bounce

I has a corsair cm500 IIRC which arrived in a sodden box, with the back panel bent, still worked but returned it   

1 hour ago, hihihi8 said:

Hi peeps, a couple of hours ago while reorganizing, I accidentally dropped my spare PSU from about 1 foot high onto wood flooring. It landed on an edge/corner of the housing, and at first, I didn't mind too much besides thinking "ouch," however now that I think about it, when dropped motherboards land on a corner, they usually die, so what are the chances of my PSU being dead? I don't have a pc to test it with ATM (working on laptop), so i'm looking for someone who's had similar experience(s).

The PSU is a well-built Cooler-Master V1200 platinum.

Thanks

Well your PSU is one of the best Seasonic units internally that money can buy and the Cooler Master casing on that thing is all metal so I think you'll be plenty fine. The fan might be a bit messed up at worst. If it's broken and there's still a warranty (likely, as it probably has a 7-year warranty) then send it to CM to have it repaired.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||