PC in one room, want it connected to TV in other with controller...

Facarwi

Hi guys.

Just looking for a bit of advice, I have a nice setup currently room wise and PC wise, but I also have a nephew and friends that come over and want to play some games from time to time (pass the controller style). I was going to get a console but considering my PC room is so close to my TV room I measured it up and can easily run a HDMI cord without going over the recommended length... I'm not going to mess around and get myself a amplified cord seeing It will need to be around 9 meters.

That part I have sorted... What would the best way to get a Xbox controller hooked up reliably? I figured I would run a USB cable but found out the max length is 5 meters, I can split it a few times to add length but that would just get messy... Do I have any other options, not sure if it exists but what about Ethernet to USB adapter, thus letting me run 10 meters of Ethernet easily right next to the TV, then plug in the Xbox dongle for PC wireless and off I go (I figure).

Love to hear some ideas! Thank you!

I have run 15m passive USB cables before, although it isn't recommended. You can get a 10m active USB extension cable. 

Otherwise, this is exactly what "Steam link" does and it does only need a network cable.

Once setup with steam you can do a lot more then just run steam in big picture mode, the only drawback with a steam link is that you can't use the pc for something else while a game is running.

Otherwise you could go with a 5m/10m usb extension and use wireless controllers.

41 minutes ago, Marcel Kipka said:

Otherwise, this is exactly what "Steam link" does and it does only need a network cable.

Once setup with steam you can do a lot more then just run steam in big picture mode, the only drawback with a steam link is that you can't use the pc for something else while a game is running.

Otherwise you could go with a 5m/10m usb extension and use wireless controllers.

Yeah the steam link would be perfect if not for its 1080p limit, was hoping to rock 4k as I got the hardware that can handle it for most games.

Just now, Facarwi said:

Yeah the steam link would be perfect if not for its 1080p limit, was hoping to rock 4k as I got the hardware that can handle it for most games.

Yeah, just figured that out as well with my steam link yesterday and I only wanted to do 2k/1440p but in my personal opinion I still think games look way too shitty, so 1080p or 4k doesn't matter that much to me at least.

Steam in-home streaming does support 4k though, so maybe something like an nvidia shield would be able to give you 4k but then again your monitor needs to be 4k to begin with to be able to stream it over to your tv in 4k so having a longer hdmi cable and wireless controllers might give you more.