AMD dropped the ball with the AM4 specifications for AIO coolers

Misanthrope
44 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

If its an AM3 specific cooler...the result of alternative mounting methods just means that people will be able to continue using the coolers which they've been using for years (over a decade in a lot of instances), and that cooler manufacturers lose out making them put pressure on AMD to do the right thing for the next socket instead of rushing shit forward with minimal notification and time to prepare.

True to an extend, but I believe the have that covered anyway with silly shit like RGB. Trust me fans and head/pump combos won't be the last eventually they'll do RGB radiators and such.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Shareholders, nuff said ;) 

54 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

If you ask me share holders weren't willing to let AMD delay the launch, AMD isn't stupid, they probably had no choice, this isn't something I can see them doing on purpose.

I guess that could very well be the reason for them to "rush" even with seemingly no pressure from the competition. But I can't say that I'm too sympathetic of AMD even in this scenario: they haven't produced new architecture for like 5 fucking years and waited until they were teetering on the edge of bankruptcy to react.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

they haven't produced new architecture for like 5 fucking years and waited until they were teetering on the edge of bankruptcy to react.

I think you're forgetting how little money and man power they have compared to Intel and Nvidia while competing against both :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

I think you're forgetting how little money and man power they have compared to Intel and Nvidia while competing against both :P 

I'm not: that's just a problem of their own creation and deserve no sympathy for their continued failing and inferior products (particularly CPUs)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

I'm not: that's just a problem of their own creation and deserve no sympathy for their continued failing and inferior products (particularly CPUs)

Well you can't really say their CPUs were failing when they did not update them for 5 years :P 

However, does it really matter? As long as they are around in some form to keep "consumer grade" hardware lower, I think we should just hope they continue launching competitive products. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well you can't really say their CPUs were failing when they did not update them for 5 years :P 

However, does it really matter? As long as they are around in some form to keep "consumer grade" hardware lower, I think we should just hope they continue launching competitive products. 

I'd like them to be more competitive and not muffled behind this many stupid little issues but I guess if though love isn't work then at least they're doing something now, partially conceded. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, Citadelen said:

If you ask me share holders weren't willing to let AMD delay the launch, AMD isn't stupid, they probably had no choice, this isn't something I can see them doing on purpose.

That isn't within shareholders power. There wasn't much of a reason to delay zen CPU, and delaying it wouldn't help on the issues that are currently presented.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

-snip-

In all honesty they made the right decision, Rory Read cancelled Dirk Myers plans for major desktop revisions to Bulldozer and started their Semi custom business, which is, to this day, the only segment firmly in the black. Zen was started all the way back in 2012 and is really the pinnacle of what AMD could accomplish with the resources they had. Oh, and AMD was technically flirting with bankruptcy in 2015, Thier financial situation is very secure now, I shudder to think what AMD and the tech industry would look like now without Rory Read and Lisa Su.

41 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

-snip-

Like I said, I'm not entirely sure, but I can comfortably assume that AMD would have waited had they had the choice.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

41 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Like I said, I'm not entirely sure, but I can comfortably assume that AMD would have waited had they had the choice.

Thats working on the assumption that waiting would have helped.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

31 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

-snip-

It is, but I think it would've, better BIOS', more motherboard stock (even now good luck finding an X370 board being stocked), and progtams such as AIDA64 being update for Zen.

Just now, Citadelen said:

It is, but I think it would've, better BIOS', more motherboard stock (even now good luck finding an X370 board being stocked), and progtams such as AIDA64 being update for Zen.

I'll gladly call bullshit; They weren't going to improve their BIOS without zen actually hitting the market (and the same exact reason why motherboard stock was so low), they don't have much of an expectation for AMD. AIDA64 was, irrc, working correctly, just had some issues with reporting the correct latency.

To describe it in layman terms;
"We are readying the launch of zen with high (relative speaking) availability on day 1" - Said AMD

"Sure, bring it" - Said motherboard manufacturer

"There probably isn't going to be much of a demand for Zen, so keep supply low initially" - Said motherboard manufacturer to themselves 

What we are seeing now is damage control from motherboard manufactures.

1 hour ago, Citadelen said:

In all honesty they made the right decision, Rory Read cancelled Dirk Myers plans for major desktop revisions to Bulldozer and started their Semi custom business, which is, to this day, the only segment firmly in the black. Zen was started all the way back in 2012 and is really the pinnacle of what AMD could accomplish with the resources they had. Oh, and AMD was technically flirting with bankruptcy in 2015, Thier financial situation is very secure now, I shudder to think what AMD and the tech industry would look like now without Rory Read and Lisa Su.

You're quite delusional.

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

You're quite delusional.

Please explain which parts of what I said is incorrect. You'll find everything I said to be correct.

1 minute ago, Citadelen said:

Please explain which parts of what I said is incorrect. You'll find everything I said to be correct.

Don't feel like it, I'm sure you'll have a brand new set of excuses. You go ahead and be happy about AMD and their sinking ship.

-------

Current Rig

-------

21 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I guess that could very well be the reason for them to "rush" even with seemingly no pressure from the competition. But I can't say that I'm too sympathetic of AMD even in this scenario: they haven't produced new architecture for like 5 fucking years and waited until they were teetering on the edge of bankruptcy to react.

Wasn't Zen was in development for 4+ years?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Wait, why do you need separate specifications for water coolers?

On 3/25/2017 at 9:14 PM, Misanthrope said:

It's explained in the video and article: Apparently AMD provided the specifications needed for the air coolers but the ones for liquid coolers where not provided in time.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Wait, why do you need separate specifications for water coolers?

Apparently they need different pressures vs air coolers to function properly. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Wasn't Zen was in development for 4+ years?

"in development" is a broad term, it was most certainly on the drawing board for a long time (like all new architectures) before the technology was finalized and then it needs to actually be produced, which poses a different set of challenges. Regardless, launch can be "rushed" even if it's just a couple of weeks early since there's always room for microcode and driver fixes when real consumer motherboards come out.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

what about the mounting hard provided by alphacool, will that have issues?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Don't feel like it, I'm sure you'll have a brand new set of excuses. You go ahead and be happy about AMD and their sinking ship.

Okay seeing as you're on the defensive now I'll back up every financial claim I made.

First we have the results for Q4 of this year.

Screenshot_20170327-135303.thumb.jpg.abf7b56b84000dacb27ca87103aa4b85.jpg

As I'm sure you can see, everything is up this year, that's with zero presence in the server market, a desktop CPU that barely anymore buys and cost a shit ton to make, and no high end GPU. (The terrible result in Q3 is a licensing renewal with the ever burdening Global Foundries, allowing them to use other Foundries much more eaisly, this won't happen again until 2020)

Screenshot_20170327-135822.thumb.jpg.d642c110c67a3566bf25c7ea583dcba8.jpg

Series-181-A15.png.813c8a11c0e901db2101b34c8a861e6b.png

I apologise for the small text here, but I'll state what's important, long-term debt is down quite a bit, short-term is nonexistant and AMD have $1.264 billion in cash.

Zen only has to sell "alright", for AMD to be stable, seeing as it most likely will sell alright, we can assume with confidence that AMD is going no where in the forceable future. I will concede that it is based on a little speculation, well founded speculation at that, but speculation non-the-less. We should have a much more complete picture by the years end.