I thought people were joking about this...computer = space heater

corevo

i remember a few years ago when my old school had an IT upgrade (ivybridge i3's, and  just after haswell came out) the temp came down that much in the IT dept the heating was turned on for the first time in over 20 years, had to get a wrench just to open the valve on the radiator.

1930s art deco building in Scotland with near enough an entire wall of glass, even in winter those were the warmest rooms in the school before that upgrade

I installed a separate AC unit just for my office but I plan on cutting a hole in my wall to exhaust the heat from my desktop to either outside or my garage because the summer will be brutal.

-KuJoe

It's hot where I live year round. My office is around 85 degrees when the AC isn't on. When my computer is off my office is only 64 degrees.

On 3/24/2017 at 11:30 AM, UMxMarky94 said:

naw most people just open a door or window =P 

A world without walls needs no windows

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

39 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

A world without walls needs no windows

but you would lack a roof

On 24. März 2017 at 4:29 PM, corevo said:

lol yeah of course, but having poor circulation > being social with roommates.

Does the stock cooler make any difference compared to an aftermarket cooler? Either way the cpu is producing the heat and the cooler is dispelling it into the air with heatsinks/fans

It does make a difference, since the stock cooler has to spin at faster fan speeds to cool your cpu, the faster the fan, the more power you use, some of that power gets turned into heat. But the stock coolers fan is smaller than most aftermarket ones, the bigger the fan, the heavier it is, the more power you need, either way, it makes a difference. Even if it is minimal. But hey, every little bit matters right?

One thing: Pentium 4 Prescott!

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

One thing: Pentium 4 Prescott!

Try a Northwood based laptop....with the top of the line P4 HT 3.2GHz.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Try a Northwood based laptop....with the top of the line P4 HT 3.2GHz.

Prescotts were hotter, hence the nickname "Presshott"

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

On 3/24/2017 at 9:31 AM, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

I can't complain about my current machine, but back when i had my all AMD system (A10 6790k + R9 280), it would sit next to my leg and even despite the fact that the card had a custom 3 slot cooler and the CPU was watercooled, it would wildly heat up my right leg, to the point it felt like a real heater.

I keep seeing this examples: Do you realize that the better your cooling is the hotter your room will get if you overclock? That's what the coolers are supposed to do which is take heat away from the components. Well that heat has to go somewhere and the more heat it gets transferred the more warmth you'll feel.

Also the energy depends entirely and solely on the components and not the cooling solutions. Different cooling solutions means that you have different capacities for more heat but guess what? A custom water loop system will generate as much heat in your room as an intel stock cooler and a blower gpu if you do not modify the voltage values (as in when you overclock) It would just take longer for the water cooling system to warm up but once it does is as hot as the air cooled rig.

It's like some of you never had a decent Chemistry or Physics class in high school yesh.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Prescotts were hotter, hence the nickname "Presshott"

My P4 540J ran cooler than it....as did my P4 630.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Ive never had the issue of my PC heating up my room, although my room is also significantly colder than the rest of the house which doesnt help

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Being in the pit of hot misery that is Southern California, my room easily reaches 95+ degrees during the daytime in summer. If I don't use my computer, maybe 10 degrees less.

Being a university student with a part-time job, running A/C really hits you hard with your electric bill, so my roommates and I don't use it much. Box fans and wet rags do the job in a pinch.

Currently not looking forward to this summer...

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

I don't see how this is shocking...computer components generate heat, a closed door prevents circulation...