1st Time Water Cooling - Help

Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,
23 hours ago, rodrosenberg said:

I'm a huge fan of the DDC pump res combos so I would move up to that. I also would use the 360 rad if possible since its the slim version. don't get scared of hardline just because @LinusTech avoids it. its really pretty easy and not that expensive so buying a couple extra packages of it to ensure you have enough tubing for your bends isn't that bad and it looks fantastic! 

:P I don't hate it because it's hard to install in the first place.

I hate it because it's hard to deal with if there's any problem - like troubleshooting a bad GPU or whatever.

Also it's hard to install (for me) lol.

I want to build a system with a delidded & liquid cooled i7-7700K + liquid cooled VRMs on an Asus Max. IX Formula.

Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB

I have never attempted liquid cooling and therefore need some advice. I tried the EK WB custom loop configurator and it recommends this:

Please advise on each individual component

• EK-CoolStream SE240 (Slim Dual) - Mounted on the top
  • EK-XRES 100 SPC-60MX PWM (inc. pump)
    • Pump/res combo seems like the easiest way to go
  • EK-Supremacy EVO-Nickel CPU Block
  • EK-DuraClear 3M Flexible Tubing
    • I have a heat gun, so I could do hard tubing, but it seems like it'd be very challenging to figure out where exactly & how to bend them so they're the perfect length & shape
    • Would I want an extra one just in case I run out?
  • EK-ACF Fitting 10/33mm - Black x8 (Compression Type)
    • They're all straight - none of them are at an angle
  • EK-Ekoolant EVO Blood Red (Concentrate 100ML)
  • EK-ATX Bridging Plug (24 Pin)
  • EK-Cable Pump Testing Adapter
  • EK-Cable Y-Splitter 2-Fan PWM (10CM)

Could also go with a EK-CoolStream SE 360 (Slim Triple) and mount it in the front  - the 3 front fans would cool the radiator and then I would not need to purchase extra fans to cool it.

Could also go with a EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM Elite (incl. pump) for more gallons-per-minute and larger reservoir capacity. This adds a significant amount to the total cost.

Capture.PNG.eead4be98b351298c9ccd95183c41ba1.PNG

I wouldn't waste your time delidding a CPU. Unless you're having thermal problems it won't significantly improve cooling. It may drop a few degrees but nothing spectacular.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I wouldn't waste your time delidding a CPU. Unless you're having thermal problems it won't significantly improve cooling. It may drop a few degrees but nothing spectacular.

That's not what I have been reading. Many people see 20C++ difference. It seems pretty easy to do so why not? It'll take cooling to the next level.

Hope you can advise me on the custom loop.

5 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

just a personal preference, but I would go with colored tubing and distilled water and a silver kill coil. 

Warning: Using a Silver Coil in conjunction with Nickel Plated components such as waterblocks and fittings has been known to cause corrosion on the nickel plating.

The water block recommended by EK WB is nickel plated.

1 minute ago, Appletax said:

That's not what I have been reading. Many people see 20C++ difference. It seems pretty easy to do so why not? It'll take cooling to the next level.

Hope you can advise me on the custom loop.

Well the biggest issue is the IHS plate is used by the motherboard mounting bracket to apply pressure to the CPU. When delidding the CPU you have to reinstall the IHS plate unless you expect the downwards pressure to come from the cooler. This is risky because the CPU die is a thin wafer of silicon. A type of glass. If pressure is applied unevenly the die can crack. Immediate dead CPU. Using the IHS plate replacing the thermal compound inbetween the CPU and IHS will improve cooling marginally. I don't know where you saw 20℃+ reduction in temps but they lied or took major risks. I heard of 1 motherboard that comes with an accessory you can install specifically for when you delid a CPU which prevents you from applying uneven pressure to the bare die. Even with that a 20℃ reduction in temperature is unrealistic.

2 minutes ago, Appletax said:

Warning: Using a Silver Coil in conjunction with Nickel Plated components such as waterblocks and fittings has been known to cause corrosion on the nickel plating.

The water block recommended by EK WB is nickel plated.

What about mixing a silver coil with full copper blocks and copper/brass radiators?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Well the biggest issue is the IHS plate is used by the motherboard mounting bracket to apply pressure to the CPU. When delidding the CPU you have to reinstall the IHS plate unless you expect the downwards pressure to come from the cooler. This is risky because the CPU die is a thin wafer of silicon. A type of glass. If pressure is applied unevenly the die can crack. Immediate dead CPU. Using the IHS plate replacing the thermal compound inbetween the CPU and IHS will improve cooling marginally. I don't know where you saw 20℃+ reduction in temps but they lied or took major risks. I heard of 1 motherboard that comes with an accessory you can install specifically for when you delid a CPU which prevents you from applying uneven pressure to the bare die. Even with that a 20℃ reduction in temperature is unrealistic.

I would use the Delid-Die-Mate 2 to delid & relid which should mostly take the risk away and make the process easy.

Just now, Appletax said:

I would use the Delid-Die-Mate 2 to delid & relid which should mostly take the risk away and make the process easy.

Removing the shield isn't that risky even if you just used a razor blade to do it. The risk is when/if you apply uneven pressure to a bare silicon die.

I can't really give recomondations on the other equipment. I don't have the time right now to check compatibility and weather or not it'll fit in your case.

As for your rigid tubing question - if you have never done it before make sure to get PETG and get TWICE (yes double) the amount you think you will need, its so easy to mess a bend or put bubbles in the tubing.

I use the 3.2 PWM EX res, in fact my old build had dual loops with them - I think theyre worth the extra outlay if not just for cosmetics, but keep in mind if space is tight a separate pump and res could be helpful.

As for your radiator I would go with the biggest you can into that case, if you later decide to add a GPU (which sees the biggest temp drop from water) it wouldn't work with a single 240mm - also a bigger rad means lower fan speeds

Also, you don't have to get everything from EK, you could look at the nemesis radiators and oc cool reservoir/pumps theres some really nice stuff out there, however I don't think you can beat EK for their blocks

I would also consider adding a few 90 degree rotary couplings, there may be some tight corners where bending just wont work:

NDZ1zep.jpg

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I'm a huge fan of the DDC pump res combos so I would move up to that. I also would use the 360 rad if possible since its the slim version. don't get scared of hardline just because @LinusTech avoids it. its really pretty easy and not that expensive so buying a couple extra packages of it to ensure you have enough tubing for your bends isn't that bad and it looks fantastic! 

Rod 

----------

BSMods.com

Facebook

Youtube

23 hours ago, rodrosenberg said:

I hate it because it's hard to deal with if there's any problem - like troubleshooting a bad GPU or whatever.

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

OMG Linus commented on my thread!

749956.png.3c423c917df04412a08c96e36753d062.png

On 3/23/2017 at 2:56 PM, Windows7ge said:

Man, the OC'ers are gonna jump in a rip you a new one.

Replacing the TIM with CLU (replacing the IHS) has shown persistent, and meaningful, results for Intel CPUs.

5 hours ago, Appletax said:

OMG Linus commented on my thread!

749956.png.3c423c917df04412a08c96e36753d062.png

Wait just one stinkin min.! Make that YOUR NOT WORTHY! Others here do have a sense of self respect and self worth.

As far as the question at hand I would say if your going EK, go EK all the way and use EK coolant.

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

48 minutes ago, Eddie Current said:

Wait just one stinkin min.! Make that YOUR NOT WORTHY! Others here do have a sense of self respect and self worth.

As far as the question at hand I would say if your going EK, go EK all the way and use EK coolant.

And some have a sense of humor ?

Its OK, @Appletax don't beat yourself up about it, not all of us can be funny ;)

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

11 hours ago, stconquest said:

Replacing the TIM with CLU (replacing the IHS) has shown persistent, and meaningful, results for Intel CPUs.

I'm not doubting this. I custom watercool myself though I haven't delided my processor. I know the paste Intel puts between the die and the IHS isn't the greatest and replacing it should yield noticibly better results yes. However from what I've seen 20℃+ and more is an exaggeration for how much lower temperatures can get. I'm not saying it won't improve the temps at all but a temperature change like that sounds like they didn't let the fluid in whatever cooling loop they're using reach equilibrium after putting the system under load after deliding. It sounds like they just started the system and went with the first number they saw after starting Prime95, AIDA64 stress test, or whatever.

Go ahead and de-lid the CPU just be aware that you may not see the drastic performance increase others claim they got. If anything do a before and after test for us.

Assemble the loop. Run it for 1 hour or 2 under 100% load (OC or not doesn't matter) write down the max temperature recorded.

Next remove the CPU, de-lid it, replace the TIM, rerun the test for an additional hour and compare the two.

Post your findings here. Just don't be surprised if your results aren't as good as others claim.