[MSI RX480 GAMING X] AMD Setting crashes, games crashes, screen flicker on non-gaming load. A little help?

So i was trying to OC my MSI RX480 Gaming X with Afterburner (+100mV, +50% Power Limit, 1390mHz core clock, 2250mHz memory clock), AMD Crimson driver version 17.3.3. When i started Furmark and ran a 1080p test (burn-in option included in setting), it ran for 5 seconds (during which fans kicked in 100% and GPU temp rose to 84C) and then my display froze for a few secs, went black and flickered back, and Furmark crashed. I restarted my PC, loaded stock settings (1316mHz core clock, 2025mHz memory clock), and opened Doom, but it crashed, the screen froze and flckered, and jumped to desktop at the menu after a few seconds. Every other game i tried did the same thing. Even loading websites on Chrome froze the display and triggered the flickering!

***Note: I wasn't running MSI Gaming App at the time, and i didn't mess with Wattman, i just used Afterburner. On a further side note, i set a pretty conservative fan curve (0% fan at 50C, 40% at 52C, and upward linearly to 75% fan at 70C).

I ran DDU, and installed AMD Crimson version 17.1.1, but still this problem persists! 

I'm afraid i might have "soft-bricked" my RX480 :(

Does anybody have any useful advice?

why not reset the clocks on the card ( get rid of over clock ) and see what happens. if you over clock an already over clocked card ( which may be at or near it's potential ) you risk destroying the card.

you also may want to use after burner to under clock the cards gpu and ram to see if it stabilizes. otherwise the card is shot. congrats.

Hi I wanna say my experience with kinda similar problem with XFX GTR rx 480 the card do fine in synthetics like firestrike I was able to get 1425mhz np as over clock but in every game after some time I was hard crash and I had to restart the pc etc. So the problem in my case is the weak motherboard I use, looks like it cant handle the power draw of the card even at stock volts at heavy load so what I had to do is down volt the card from 1118v stock at 1085v and still keep it at 1320mhz since I did that I never had the problem of freeze/crash etc my first though was the psu as many people may say but it happens again with my friends XFX TS Series 650W (Gold) so was not my psu but the motherboard.

As you see my cpu could run at 4.5mhz and gpu at 1425mhz at synthetics but those work different than games that actually can use cpu/gpu differently and demand momentarily more power than motherboard can handle if its cheap or old technology.  

Temps was actually pretty good both at cpu/gpu when I crash, btw both was  68c at cpu and 57c at gpu.

firestrikeFullOc2.jpg

30 minutes ago, StefVal said:

Hi I wanna say my experience with kinda similar problem with XFX GTR rx 480 the card do fine in synthetics like firestrike I was able to get 1425mhz np as over clock but in every game after some time I was hard crash and I had to restart the pc etc. So the problem in my case is the weak motherboard I use, looks like it cant handle the power draw of the card even at stock volts at heavy load so what I had to do is down volt the card from 1118v stock at 1085v and still keep it at 1320mhz since I did that I never had the problem of freeze/crash etc my first though was the psu as many people may say but it happens again with my friends XFX TS Series 650W (Gold) so was not my psu but the motherboard.

As you see my cpu could run at 4.5mhz and gpu at 1425mhz at synthetics but those work different than games that actually can use cpu/gpu differently and demand momentarily more power than motherboard can handle if its cheap or old technology.  

Temps was actually pretty good both at cpu/gpu when I crash, btw both was  68c at cpu and 57c at gpu.

firestrikeFullOc2.jpg

So does that mean my mobo's PCIE slot is bricked? :( I haven't tried undervolting the card, though.

I'm using an Asrock Z270 Extreme 4 and an FSP Hydro G 750W PSU