Will the price of skylake drop ?

So now that ryzen 7 is out(and it's awesome) and ryzen 5 is around the cornner, will intel drop the prices on the lower and mid range cpus( 6600k 6700k). I'm not sure if I shoud buy now or wait a litle bit more...

I highly doubt they will drop their prices. They didn't budge on any prices when Ryzen 7 came out so they probably won't when Ryzen 5 drops either. I would wait until Ryzen 5 drops and benchmarks come out, see what's the better value and buy accordingly.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Paula_The_Butter_Fairy said:

Yes, intel has already dropped some but I expect them to drop more

Where?There has been no official drop from intel. Some stores have been trying to move merch so theyre offering minor deals. Intel will phase out the old cpu before dropping the price

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Intel's MSRPs are the same as ever, before and after Ryzen's launch. Any price reductions you may have seen are happening at the retailer.

Often out-of-production processors cost more over time, not less, due to the remaining supply being in the hands of third-party resellers.

Exhibit A: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-2600K-Quad-Core-Processor-Cache/dp/B004FA8NOQ

5 minutes ago, popteanmircea said:

So now that ryzen 7 is out(and it's awesome) and ryzen 5 is around the cornner, will intel drop the prices on the lower and mid range cpus( 6600k 6700k). I'm not sure if I shoud buy now or wait a litle bit more...

considering the performance difference between the 6700 and 7700, i wouldn't call the 6700 mid tier. it's still a whopper of a CPU.

If comparing R7 prices to Intel, look at the prices of the 2011v3 chips they are competing against: 6800k / 6900k why they (AMD) chose to compare the 1700 to a 7700k is frankly confusing. It's like asking if a Xeon would make a better gaming CPU than a 7700K.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Man I love this comunity! Thanks for the help. I still don't know if I should wait. I already own a z170 mbo and I want to buy an I7 6700k 

There was a sale on kabylake

18 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

Where?There has been no official drop from intel. Some stores have been trying to move merch so theyre offering minor deals. Intel will phase out the old cpu before dropping the price

We picked up an i5 5600k for 180 at microcenter (US)

They even had the i7 6700k for 260 before the release of ryzen.

It is extremely unlikely for any price drops from Intel.

There are still very good reasons why people would prefer to buy an i7 over an R7. The Ryzen CPUs are weaker at single threaded performance, and this shows very clearly in many applications. Competitive gamers will likely stick with i7 6700K/7700K processors, and if Intel can keep selling them at the price they are at, they will likely not see any reason to move.

While Ryzen is good value, it falls apart in some workstation tasks. Ryzen will be able to pick up many consumers who need budget oriented systems, and this will hopefully allow a much greater access for consumers to PC gaming. Although there will always be consumers who have the money, and need something stronger for their workload.

6 hours ago, WindirBear said:

There was a sale on kabylake

We picked up an i5 5600k for 180 at microcenter (US)

They even had the i7 6700k for 260 before the release of ryzen.

But that's not an official price drop. That's microcenter's semi regular pricing. They always have cpu pricing like that.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

3 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

But that's not an official price drop. That's microcenter's semi regular pricing. They always have cpu pricing like that.

Hey, that's still not bad for a Skylake right now.