How to contact a US military member's CO

patric_o
Go to solution Solved by Mark77,

If its a truly serious matter, with your sister providing clear guidance to the serviceman that the communication is unwanted, you'll want to get ahold of the Military Police at your nearest DoD installation.  They will investigate based on the UCMJ, and lay charges (criminal, disciplinary, or otherwise) if warranted, for whatever offenses they believe the member has committed.  Other than that, the public has no access otherwise.

The recruiting station will do the same -- just refer you to the nearest Military Police presence to make a complaint.

I recently found out that my sister, who is a minor, is being harassed by an old friend of hers that is stationed in a US Army base in South Korea. I have plenty of proof of the situation and would like so pass it on to his commanding officer so the issue can be put to rest quickly and easily. Only problem is I'm having some difficulty finding who his CO is or how to find a way contact him.  Any ideas on how to find what I need? I figured I would call the local reserve and recruiting station a few towns over in the morning and ask them but does anyone know a way I could just do it myself?

If its a truly serious matter, with your sister providing clear guidance to the serviceman that the communication is unwanted, you'll want to get ahold of the Military Police at your nearest DoD installation.  They will investigate based on the UCMJ, and lay charges (criminal, disciplinary, or otherwise) if warranted, for whatever offenses they believe the member has committed.  Other than that, the public has no access otherwise.

The recruiting station will do the same -- just refer you to the nearest Military Police presence to make a complaint.

If you have proof of the harassment then just contact your local police and they should be able to find the info you need to contact the base or they might even contact them themselves.

If they indicate they can't be of any help then do what Mark said above. You could also see if you can find contact info for that base's Legal Affairs department for further direction as well.

If its criminal then you need to contact your local police department asap.

They can and will investigate and contact the officers.

Its like if the offender was in Nigeria, you dont contact Nigerian officials, you contact your local police.

Common Sense really!

@OP do you know what base he is stationed at, like the name of it and also do you know what division he is with?  If you know these things i can try and help get you close.

5 hours ago, yathis said:

Its like if the offender was in Nigeria, you dont contact Nigerian officials, you contact your local police.

Common Sense really!

Not always that simple when it involves a service member deployed in another country. 

7 hours ago, yathis said:

8 hours ago, imreloadin said:

If you have proof of the harassment then just contact your local police and they should be able to find the info you need...

I've already spoken to the police and it is not at the point where they can do anything ....yet. They recommended that I contact the CO and let him/her deal with the situation so hopefully the issue will be resolved before the police need to get involved. 

10 hours ago, patric_o said:

I recently found out that my sister, who is a minor, is being harassed by an old friend of hers that is stationed in a US Army base in South Korea. I have plenty of proof of the situation and would like so pass it on to his commanding officer so the issue can be put to rest quickly and easily. Only problem is I'm having some difficulty finding who his CO is or how to find a way contact him.  Any ideas on how to find what I need? I figured I would call the local reserve and recruiting station a few towns over in the morning and ask them but does anyone know a way I could just do it myself?

I think the Army has a criminal investigation branch similar to how the Navy and Marine corps has NCIS. You might consider contacting them and sending them copy's of the evidence. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 hours ago, patric_o said:

not at the point where they can do anything

They rather eat donuts then actually do any work.

10 hours ago, yathis said:

They rather eat donuts then actually do any work.

No, the OP is correct.

There isn't enough of a legal basis for them to act especially since the offending party is well beyond their jurisdiction.

On 3/23/2017 at 0:40 AM, Mark77 said:

Indeed it is a serious matter.  Definitely the best thing the OP can do is get in touch with the base and get with the legal office.

Service members go through annual training to not do such behavior and understand the consequences of said behavior.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

The base's EEO (Equal Employment Opportunity) office is likely the best place to contact. Although your sister is not a Federal employee, I would think the EEO Commission might be able to provide some guidance on what to do in this situation.

I was able to contact the CO by email last night. I received a phone call from him this morning to give him more information and he was pissed. I just got off the phone with him and the soldier causing the issue about 5 minutes ago and the issue was thoroughly taken care of to say the least. Thank you to everyone for your help and concern.

11 minutes ago, patric_o said:

I was able to contact the CO by email last night. I received a phone call from him this morning to give him more information and he was pissed. I just got off the phone with him and the soldier causing the issue about 5 minutes ago and the issue was thoroughly taken care of to say the least. Thank you to everyone for your help and concern.

i feel someone may be responsible for vacuuming the parade deck for the next month. 

9 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

No, the OP is correct.

There isn't enough of a legal basis for them to act especially since the offending party is well beyond their jurisdiction.

No the offending party is not "well beyond their juristiction"

They can easily file charges, and get an arrest warrant, even notify interpol.

5 minutes ago, yathis said:

Im pretty sure that the police has no jurisdiction unless the offender offends locally. In this case it would be in the hands of the Military Justice System. Keep in mind the US military has its own courts and own investigative agencies. The OP did the right thing, they got in to contact with the offenders CO and that should solve the issue. The offender will most likely be cleaning toilets with their tongue until they can tell the difference between an Oreo and shit. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 minutes ago, yathis said:

i think you are seriously over estimating the pull of a local police department.

also you are assuming that the situation the OP mentions is sufficiently serious to convince a judge to approve of an extraditable warrant.