Greetings !

The issue is as follows - Boot up time on

• Windows 10
  • Asus K555L Series Laptop with
  • i5-5200U Intel Processor
  • 6 GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • GTX 940 M Graphics with 2 GB of Memory

Is unnaturally slow , we are talking about 2+ minutes of boot time just to get to the password screen alone , another 30 to 60s to boot up the desktop and task bar. With FastBoot (forcing the laptop into hibernate instead of actually shutting down option) I get reasonable boot time though still its quite below what is expected and what once was - 30s of boot time + 10s or less on desktop with FastBoot / 50s boot time with 10s or less on desktop without FastBoot first 2/3 months.

Above all of this , the hard drive seems to get clogged up at random times for random intervals DAILY 2-3 times, resulting in 99 or 100% active HDD and the most common processes that are responsible are the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry / System / Service Host : Local Service.  

The laptop is barely 6 months old with the same windows 10 installment from day 1.

Troubleshooting steps - 

• Malware-bytes
  • Swap AV software
  • Defragment (it is automatic but tried it manually anyway)
  • Disabled all but the necessities on boot (AV and Nvidia's Capture Service Proxy) 
  • Disabled the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry from the task scheduler (to no success)
  • Disabled Windows Search and the other Usual Suspect - Superfetch
  • Did some HDD tests for any faults or errors
  • Adjusted and disabled PageFile  (re-enabled it after troubleshooting had no effect, naturally)
  • Drivers are up to date , and Windows as well (weather I like it or not)

All to no avail.

I am attaching screenshots of the Task Manager and the Resource Monitor for reference, and hoping someone can come up with any ideas how to solve this issue (SSD is not an option, HDD did fine the first few months) 

resorce monitor 1.png

resorce monitor 2.png

task manager 1.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Good men mean well, we just don't always end up doing well
 - Isaac Clarke

20 minutes ago, DenaByte said:

Greetings !

The issue is as follows - Boot up time on

• Windows 10
  • Asus K555L Series Laptop with
  • i5-5200U Intel Processor
  • 6 GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • GTX 940 M Graphics with 2 GB of Memory

Is unnaturally slow , we are talking about 2+ minutes of boot time just to get to the password screen alone , another 30 to 60s to boot up the desktop and task bar. With FastBoot (forcing the laptop into hibernate instead of actually shutting down option) I get reasonable boot time though still its quite below what is expected and what once was - 30s of boot time + 10s or less on desktop with FastBoot / 50s boot time with 10s or less on desktop without FastBoot first 2/3 months.

Above all of this , the hard drive seems to get clogged up at random times for random intervals DAILY 2-3 times, resulting in 99 or 100% active HDD and the most common processes that are responsible are the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry / System / Service Host : Local Service.  

The laptop is barely 6 months old with the same windows 10 installment from day 1.

Troubleshooting steps - 

• Malware-bytes
  • Swap AV software
  • Disabled all but the necessities on boot (AV and Nvidia's Capture Service Proxy) 
  • Disabled the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry from the task scheduler (to no success)
  • Disabled Windows Search and the other Usual Suspect - Superfetch
  • Did some HDD tests for any faults or errors
  • Adjusted and disabled PageFile  (re-enabled it after troubleshooting had no effect, naturally)
  • Drivers are up to date , and Windows as well (weather I like it or not)

All to no avail.

I am attaching screenshots of the Task Manager and the Resource Monitor for reference, and hoping someone can come up with any ideas how to solve this issue (SSD is not an option, HDD did fine the first few months) 

resorce monitor 1.png

resorce monitor 2.png

task manager 1.png

I know it sucks but I would reinstall a clean copy of windows, preferably to a SSD. My friend your hard drive might be failing, or you have viruses. The best thing I did was get an SSD. I fixed my GF's "unusable laptop" with exact same issues from 2005 with a simple reinstall and SSD upgrade total cost 40.00 USD. Boot time 20 secs. GL

51 minutes ago, UMxMarky94 said:

try out spybot anti-beacon and see if that helps you out

Na brother , no problems found on the spybot , im running the anti-beacon right now but seems to be stuck at 5%  3 of 61 protected.

Another good thing to note is , since I am a web designer I use ATOM text editor as my main means of processing HTML CSS JS PHP etc. files

A few months back , when I first opened up a file with atom and did some changes , it froze for 2-5 seconds on first save (caching i guess?) and each save after the first one was instant.

Now when I open a file and try to save it the first save goes from 15s to over a minute.... after which it saves instantly... This gets me to thing for some reason the RAM or the HDD is messing up big time

- Isaac Clarke

Just now, DenaByte said:

Na brother , no problems found on the spybot , im running the anti-beacon right now but seems to be stuck at 5%  3 of 61 protected.

Another good thing to note is , since I am a web designer I use ATOM text editor as my main means of processing HTML CSS JS PHP etc. files

A few months back , when I first opened up a file with atom and did some changes , it froze for 2-5 seconds on first save (caching i guess?) and each save after the first one was instant.

Now when I open a file and try to save it the first save goes from 15s to over a minute.... after which it saves instantly... This gets me to thing for some reason the RAM or the HDD is messing up big time

well upgrade to a SSD and Run memtest if you're worried about your ram 

10 minutes ago, UMxMarky94 said:

well upgrade to a SSD and Run memtest if you're worried about your ram 

Really dude? That much degradation in the matter of less than one year? Just because its an HDD ?

At some point I'm gonna have to move to an SSD , its just not a great time for me right now... I'm just amazed at the fact that an HDD performing so well degraded so much in that little time... and the only solution would be an SSD , kind of find it hard to believe

- Isaac Clarke

1 minute ago, DenaByte said:

Really dude? That much degradation in the matter of less than one year? Just because its an HDD ?

At some point I'm gonna have to move to an SSD , its just not a great time for me right now... I'm just amazed at the fact that an HDD performing so well degraded so much in that little time... and the only solution would be an SSD , kind of find it hard to believe

well defrag it and see if there is any improvement, if not it could be a low RPM drive (because there cheaper company save money on them) and there is not much else you can do, free install of OS could help but is not practical every 6 months or so 

22 hours ago, UMxMarky94 said:

well defrag it and see if there is any improvement, if not it could be a low RPM drive (because there cheaper company save money on them) and there is not much else you can do, free install of OS could help but is not practical every 6 months or so 

Troubleshooting steps - 

• Malware-bytes
  • Swap AV software

ive done defrag dude... its all the god damn windows 10 i swear to god , i feel like 50% of my resources are being used to track my every move and send info to google and microsoft instead of actually working for my laptop.... I bet my ass if i downgrade to windows 7 its gonna run like a rocket but support for win 7 has been cut so not much of a choice there .... Im gonna disable the page file and see how it holds up but im just mad as hell i gave so much money in hopes something will improve and in the end its no god damn different

- Isaac Clarke

@DenaByte though you had, just missed it in rereading, well you could return to Win7 however i would try reinstall Win10 first and disable all the telemetry you can from the install then uses spybot anti-beacon to maximize it and if that doesn't do try Win7 out 

9 minutes ago, UMxMarky94 said:

@DenaByte though you had, just missed it in rereading, well you could return to Win7 however i would try reinstall Win10 first and disable all the telemetry you can from the install then uses spybot anti-beacon to maximize it and if that doesn't do try Win7 out 

How do you disable the telemetry? How and where the hell do I look for this stuff. 

On the initial settings of the win 10 installation i removed everything about keywords information wi-fi information personal information messages information being sent "anonymously" to microsoft, I disabled everything I could and still I get this type of shit :D 

- Isaac Clarke

1 minute ago, DenaByte said:

How do you disable the telemetry? How and where the hell do I look for this stuff. 

On the initial settings of the win 10 installation i removed everything about keywords information wi-fi information personal information messages information being sent "anonymously" to microsoft, I disabled everything I could and still I get this type of shit :D 

when selecting the install type (express or custom) select custom disable everything, use a local account then run anti beacon it disable everything else that can be disabled. there is some overlap but you can't be too careful