vmark

Hey Guys,

Here is my setup :

Asus p8z68- v pro

core i7 2600k

8 gig ram

gtx 560ti SLI

corsair cx600 PSU

I have been running this system for almost a year now and for the past few weeks the system had random shut downs and when i try to restart it the CPU doesn't start but the HDD and the DVD drives start .. after messing around i found out that the 24- pin connector had burned..now i am able to boot the PC but still have the random restarts and i have to remove the 24pin and reinsert it every time to make it start again..

sS58a.jpg

wVAqp.jpg

I have no idea why these two sockets would burn in particular...

Any help would be nice...

It's a bad wire to socket connection I suppose and it's a good idea to get a new PSU before you break something...

I had the same thing happen with my X58 system. I had a HX1000 and I always considered it solid as a rock but for some reason this randomly happened after 2 years of use. I was told it was either a bad connection or my power supply just overheated and over-volted on the pins causing the first bsod. Still makes me sad to think my just over 5 year psu died(no warranty) but it made me buy the newer ax850 and move to sandybridge.

I would contact Corsair and see what they can do if the psu is still in warranty, they should replace it for you.

Hmmm, I want to make sure that the problem is with the PSU and not any other component on my motherboard which might be drawing more power from the socket..I don't want to burn another PSU x(

Btw i forgot to mention that this PSU has only one PCI-e output and i am using a molex converter to power my second gpu..

I had the same thing happen with my X58 system. I had a HX1000 and I always considered it solid as a rock but for some reason this randomly happened after 2 years of use. I was told it was either a bad connection or my power supply just overheated and over-volted on the pins causing the first bsod. Still makes me sad to think my just over 5 year psu died(no warranty) but it made me buy the newer ax850 and move to sandybridge. I would contact Corsair and see what they can do if the psu is still in warranty' date=' they should replace it for you. [/quote']

Yes the PSU is still under warranty hopefully the send a replacement...and should i get 850w or a 1000W psu ?

You are barely touch the 600 watts so I would recommended the 650w or if you want get the ax850 so far seems to be a bit quieter and hopefully more reliably with its 7 year warranty. If you want a rough calculator use this www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp but dont forget it is not just watts you also have to watch amps being pulled from the rails. Although I cant see a gtx 560ti sli pulling anywhere near the amps output of your psu or the ones I have recommend. As I am running a 2600k@4.9Ghz and GTX580 sli on the ax850.

850W more than enough for your current system and will propably be enough unless you plan to upgrade to a tripple+ GPU setup ;)

lol never going build a SLI config again...But will upgrading the PSU solve the problem for sure ??

well first you should clean the contacts on the motherboard.

The Problem was that the pins on the PSU-Side of the connector didn't made a good enough contact for the amout of electricity -> resistance -> heat -> burnt connector (the process will be faster if the room is more humid)

In order to avoid that you can solder the connectors to the board but then you get trouble when the PSU dies someday

I had the same Problem with my CPU 8-Pin-connetor (but there it burned all 4 12V connectors (the ground ones where fine) -> i soldered the PSU-connector directly to the mainboard.

well after the PSU died somehow (i was on vacation and when i came back it was dead [b4 i left i turned the power off]) -> well in the end i desoldered the connector bought an extension cable soldered that on and connected the new PSU to the extension)

Before purchasing a new PSU, first inspect the board fully. Look for any burst/leaking/bulging capacitors, any burnt traces anything out of the ordinary. If you see anything, i would RMA the board, or post here to get advice.

If you're unsure, this is what a burst capacitor looks like:

2011-11-27_220850_capacitors.jpg ( Picture from Google )

Before purchasing a new PSU' date=' first inspect the board fully. Look for any burst/leaking/bulging capacitors, any burnt traces anything out of the ordinary. If you see anything, i would RMA the board, or post here to get advice. If you're unsure, this is what a burst capacitor looks like: [img']http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/SelectTronix/2011-11-27_220850_capacitors.jpg ( Picture from Google )

I had a CIT PSU That I overloaded because I was overclocking.

When I turned Prime95 on about 10 seconds later I heard 3 loud explosions in my computer and the computer shut down and I smelt burning.

I learn my lesson that a 550W PSU was not enough to support a 6970 and overclocking a 1100T. Luckily no components were damaged.

It turned out the capacitors had cooked inside and popped. :O

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Damn edit button doesnt work. That conenction looks like its creating a spark that is sloly eating through the plastic every time it sparks. Are there any signs of a spark on the metal? Should be small brown dots on the pin.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

well first you should clean the contacts on the motherboard. The Problem was that the pins on the PSU-Side of the connector didn't made a good enough contact for the amout of electricity -> resistance -> heat -> burnt connector (the process will be faster if the room is more humid) In order to avoid that you can solder the connectors to the board but then you get trouble when the PSU dies someday I had the same Problem with my CPU 8-Pin-connetor (but there it burned all 4 12V connectors (the ground ones where fine) -> i soldered the PSU-connector directly to the mainboard. well after the PSU died somehow (i was on vacation and when i came back it was dead [b4 i left i turned the power off]) -> well in the end i desoldered the connector bought an extension cable soldered that on and connected the new PSU to the extension)

I have cleaned the connectors now and they seem to be fine..there are no burn marks or anything on the mobo connector...I am planning on getting a corsair Ax850..it should be enough i guess...hopefully this solves the issue...

Before purchasing a new PSU' date=' first inspect the board fully. Look for any burst/leaking/bulging capacitors, any burnt traces anything out of the ordinary. If you see anything, i would RMA the board, or post here to get advice. If you're unsure, this is what a burst capacitor looks like: [/quote']

I removed all the components and checked the board thoroughly there are no burnt capacitors or any marks...only a small amount of black residue was left on the connector which is cleaned now..so i hope changing the PSU will solve the problem..and i am planning on getting a Ax850 or do u recommend someother PSU ?

an AX850 is a good choice. so is everything from seasonic, corsair or coolermaster. i do not have a lot expirience with other PSU's.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

well first you should clean the contacts on the motherboard. The Problem was that the pins on the PSU-Side of the connector didn't made a good enough contact for the amout of electricity -> resistance -> heat -> burnt connector (the process will be faster if the room is more humid) In order to avoid that you can solder the connectors to the board but then you get trouble when the PSU dies someday I had the same Problem with my CPU 8-Pin-connetor (but there it burned all 4 12V connectors (the ground ones where fine) -> i soldered the PSU-connector directly to the mainboard. well after the PSU died somehow (i was on vacation and when i came back it was dead [b4 i left i turned the power off]) -> well in the end i desoldered the connector bought an extension cable soldered that on and connected the new PSU to the extension)
I have cleaned the connectors now and they seem to be fine..there are no burn marks or anything on the mobo connector...I am planning on getting a corsair Ax850..it should be enough i guess...hopefully this solves the issue...
Before purchasing a new PSU' date=' first inspect the board fully. Look for any burst/leaking/bulging capacitors, any burnt traces anything out of the ordinary. If you see anything, i would RMA the board, or post here to get advice. If you're unsure, this is what a burst capacitor looks like: [/quote'] I removed all the components and checked the board thoroughly there are no burnt capacitors or any marks...only a small amount of black residue was left on the connector which is cleaned now..so i hope changing the PSU will solve the problem..and i am planning on getting a Ax850 or do u recommend someother PSU ?

You won't need as large a wattage as that. You could easily use a 650W. There are loads of good units out there, Seasonic x-series springs to mind, as does Silverstone Strider Plus, there are many others. Have a shop around, see what catches your eye; do you want a fully modular design?