Pc won't boot after I installed a new CPU.

BrokeAFKid

So I have this Pc that had an i3 4330 and I sold that one to buy an i5 4460. Now that the i5 arrvied I put it in but the PC won't boot. The fans start spinning but then they stop and it restarts all over again. The motherboard is an H87 HD3 board from gigabyte. 

I'm scared lads, help me out please? 

is the cpu fan connected to the cpu fan header correctly because if you accidentally plug the cpu fan into a system fan header and not the cpu fan header the computer will think you are trying to run the computer without a cpu fan and will shut itself off to prevent harm to the cpu. 

May I leave this here? I know you changed a CPU but for some reason something else could be goiung bad aswell so try these steps:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

is the cpu fan connected to the cpu fan header correctly because if you accidentally plug the cpu fan into a system fan header and not the cpu fan header the computer will think you are trying to run the computer without a cpu fan and will shut itself off to prevent harm to the cpu. 

Nope sadly it's correctly plugged in.

Did you unplug any cables when making the swap? double check the 4 or 8 pin cpu power cable and 24pin is in properly.

The ram could have possibly come lose when working on it, try reseating that.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

9 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

May I leave this here? I know you changed a CPU but for some reason something else could be goiung bad aswell so try these steps:

Do you know where exactly I would look up if the Cpu is compatible with the bios version? I can't find it ... I think I was running the f5 bios.

3 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Did you unplug any cables when making the swap? double check the 4 or 8 pin cpu power cable and 24pin is in properly.

The ram could have possibly come lose when working on it, try reseating that.

No I didn't touch the cables. And I tried taking the ram out and back in , didn't fix it unfortunately. :(

Try updating BIOS.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

take out the cpu and have look on the cpu socket on the motherboard for any bent pins or anything. i reckon it could be some bent pins thats causing it not to boot or a simple reseating of the cpu could the answer. before you changed the cpu was the pc booting up as normal? it could be the cpu has gone bad but i highly doubt it

Also make sure the ram is inserted in properly, you might feel like you are breaking the board while doing so.

39 minutes ago, BrokeAFKid said:

So I have this Pc that had an i3 4330 and I sold that one to buy an i5 4460. Now that the i5 arrvied I put it in but the PC won't boot. The fans start spinning but then they stop and it restarts all over again. The motherboard is an H87 HD3 board from gigabyte. 

Put the old CPU in and perform a BIOS update to the latest version. DO NOT UNPLUG THE MACHINE AT ANY POINT DURING THIS PROCESS. After the BIOS has successfully updated, make sure it turns on and power the machine off. Take the old CPU out and put your i5 4460 in. This should correct it

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

Unfortunately I have already shipped out the i3 so that is not possible.

1 minute ago, BrokeAFKid said:

Unfortunately I have already shipped out the i3 so that is not possible.

Is there a local tech store near you? You could ask them if they could update the BIOS for you with their spare CPUs

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

• 1 year later...
On 3/18/2017 at 7:47 AM, BrokeAFKid said:

On 3/18/2017 at 7:47 AM, BrokeAFKid said:

Well this has to do with the cpu wattage i have an i3 i upgrade to i7 and it did not work i try multiple times and did not power at all the only thing it moves when i try to power the computer is the fan then shut off the i went to check my motherboard wattage capacity and my mother board capacity is only 56 watts and my cpu is 52 watts

On 12/4/2018 at 8:52 PM, Sergio Guel said:

Well this has to do with the cpu wattage i have an i3 i upgrade to i7 and it did not work i try multiple times and did not power at all the only thing it moves when i try to power the computer is the fan then shut off the i went to check my motherboard wattage capacity and my mother board capacity is only 56 watts and my cpu is 52 watts

Nah that wasn't the issue. The board supports the i5 4460 just fine but apparently I'm an idiot and while rushing to put the build back together I ended up bending some pins. Had to swap the board and everything was fine. Btw where did you look up the motherboard wattage capacity? I have never seen that listed on a spec sheet of a motherboard. 

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I know that its an old topic but it worked. I had a little complicated situation. My motherboard Z370 but it was upgraded to Z390 for support the I7 9700k. That CPU got issues so i bought I5 9600K. When I put the i5 in, i got freeze on boot logo.. So I had to re-update the same f12 bios, after that all problems resolved. 

So Thank you so much. You saved my couple of hours on it.

On 3/18/2017 at 1:28 PM, EvilCat70 said:

Put the old CPU in and perform a BIOS update to the latest version. DO NOT UNPLUG THE MACHINE AT ANY POINT DURING THIS PROCESS. After the BIOS has successfully updated, make sure it turns on and power the machine off. Take the old CPU out and put your i5 4460 in. This should correct it

• 8 months later...

I recognize that this is an old thread but I wanted to point something out. An hour ago I just took out my CPU for a dust cleaning and new thermal paste. Whenever you take out a CPU and put one in, make sure to take out the ram sticks as well! This is because sometimes you can accidentally bump the ram sticks even just a tiny bit while messing with the CPU :)

Bumping the sticks out of place can cause boot issues, so I always just take them out and then put them back in when I'm done, that way I know they are in place.