Ryzen's Infinity Fabric Clock Speed is Linked to Memory Clock Speed... Might Explain Why Memory OCs Make a Noticeable Impact in Performance on Ryzen?

6 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Nope, it's confirmed. Straight from the Anandtech article about Ryzen 5:

Oh good so they're going back to the Pentium D days where it was dual cores glued together, which was ironic because AMD was the first to make a "true" quad core.

Naples is going to be fucked with the number of interconnects it's going to have going on.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Saw the G.Skill Ryzen certified memory and fastest is 3466MHz 2x8GB they list. Would like to see that running. Planning build on summer so I'd probably go with that.

Also I do wonder about BIOS updates for memory issues, how much will it differ. I'm sure current issues will be resolved so out of box it works fine, but what will be the maximum frequency it will be able to run in the end. Probably the above one, but we'll see.
Also, since desktop quad core si 2+2 between 2 CCXs potentially APUs that are quad core will be single CCX then. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

All of a sudden, tons of LTT members rush to Google to type in "CPU Infinity Fabric" so that they can argue about things that they read about on Wikipedia.

26 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Oh good so they're going back to the Pentium D days where it was dual cores glued together, which was ironic because AMD was the first to make a "true" quad core.

Naples is going to be fucked with the number of interconnects it's going to have going on.

naples probably won't be made of quad cores CCXs (maybe 8-core CCX or something?)

also, server work doesn't really care about CCXs. intel's dual CPU motherboards have a similar performance overhead from dual CPUing (more overhead, acutally) and they still work just fine for servers.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

24 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Saw the G.Skill Ryzen certified memory and fastest is 3466MHz 2x8GB they list. Would like to see that running. Planning build on summer so I'd probably go with that.

Also I do wonder about BIOS updates for memory issues, how much will it differ. I'm sure current issues will be resolved so out of box it works fine, but what will be the maximum frequency it will be able to run in the end. Probably the above one, but we'll see.
Also, since desktop quad core si 2+2 between 2 CCXs potentially APUs that are quad core will be single CCX then. 

the thing is that it seems ryzens sub timings are too tight, so instead of running the 32 multiplier you need to use the 2933 multiplier and then increase the base clock

16 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

naples probably won't be made of quad cores CCXs (maybe 8-core CCX or something?)

also, server work doesn't really care about CCXs. intel's dual CPU motherboards have a similar performance overhead from dual CPUing (more overhead, acutally) and they still work just fine for servers.

its going to be 4 core ccxs they made them to have flexibility it would be stupid to make a new ccx just for servers 

55 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Professional workloads seem to be punished less by the infinity fabric than other workloads, so I don't think it'll be that bad. They showed one benchmark so far and it seems pretty promising, so I don't think it'll be too bad.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Naples uses an entirely different memory controller and we have no information on how CCXs are interconnected on that platform, Ryzen is a terrible reference point to try and make any judgement about Naples.

Also Naples is designed as a platform to host many PCIe accelerators (GPUs/FPGAs/ASICs etc), CPU performance while going to be absolutely fine isn't as big of a factor as you might think. One thing Ryzen does show us is that the CCX performance is actually very good, 8 of them (32 cores) will have extremely good performance.

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Professional workloads seem to be punished less by the infinity fabric than other workloads, so I don't think it'll be that bad. They showed one benchmark so far and it seems pretty promising, so I don't think it'll be too bad.

See comment above, Naples won't be using the Infinity Fabric, if it is (by name only) it's going to be substantially different.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Naples uses an entirely different memory controller and we have no information on how CCXs are interconnected on that platform, Ryzen is a terrible reference point to try and make any judgement about Naples.

Also Naples is designed as a platform to host many PCIe accelerators (GPUs/FPGAs/ASICs etc), CPU performance while going to be absolutely fine isn't as big of a factor as you might think. One thing Ryzen does show us is that the CCX performance is actually very good, 8 of them (32 cores) will have extremely good performance.

See comment above, Naples won't be using the Infinity Fabric, if it is (by name only) it's going to be substantially different.

Hm yeah, though it's still gonna have some inter-die connection stuff going on. I recall that the 32 core CPU they will have is just two 16 core dies on the same substrate, so those are going to need a connection between them as well. I think I recall that the connection used on the motherboard between the two 32 core CPUs is based on the infinity fabric as well but I could be wrong about that.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Hm yeah, though it's still gonna have some inter-die connection stuff going on. I recall that the 32 core CPU they will have is just two 16 core dies on the same substrate, so those are going to need a connection between them as well. I think I recall that the connection used on the motherboard between the two 32 core CPUs is based on the infinity fabric as well but I could be wrong about that.

Not sure about the internal die makeup, haven't really paid too much attention to that yet since it's too soon for me to trust any of the information :P.

Your correct the CPUs are linked by an Infinity Fabric (had to go look it up again). It's quite different from my understanding though but either way it uses PCie lanes in the CPUs to connect them together, 64 of them so that is a huge amount of bandwidth. My guess since I'm fairly sure it's based on Gen-Z tech that the Infinity Fabric is more of a communication protocol that can be used over many different transport mediums.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Not sure about the internal die makeup, haven't really paid too much attention to that yet since it's too soon for me to trust any of the information :P.

Your correct the CPUs are linked by an Infinity Fabric (had to go look it up again). It's quite different from my understanding though but either way it uses PCie lanes in the CPUs to connect them together, 64 of them so that is a huge amount of bandwidth. My guess since I'm fairly sure it's based on Gen-Z tech that the Infinity Fabric is more of a communication protocol that can be used over many different transport mediums.

Yeah, I remember seeing somewhere that it's something like each CPU has 128 lanes or something and they use 64 to connect to each other and the others for io. 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah, I remember seeing somewhere that it's something like each CPU has 128 lanes or something and they use 64 to connect to each other and the others for io. 

Yep, it's rather weird in how they have a done it. A single Naples CPU has 128 usable PCIe lanes and dual Naples CPUs have 128 usable PCIe lanes, half in each processor get used for the interconnection of the CPUs.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yep, it's rather weird in how they have a done it. A single Naples CPU has 128 usable PCIe lanes and dual Naples CPUs have 128 usable PCIe lanes, half in each processor get used for the interconnection of the CPUs.

Ignoring the latency, does that mean you could do PCIe CPU expansion cards?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

7 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Ignoring the latency, does that mean you could do PCIe CPU expansion cards?

A general purpose CPU, technically possible and is actually what is being done here with Naples just not in the way your asking. A x16 PCIe 3.0 slot is probably a little too slow to be all that useful and every CPU in the system needs to be connected in a full mesh which is why Naples is limited to dual socket. Three Naples CPUs would use every PCIe lane for the interconnect and none left over for I/O.

Latency isn't actually an issue, so long as the CPU is designed for it. Remember PCIe lanes are delivered directly from within the CPU die.

On 3/16/2017 at 10:50 PM, RadiatingLight said:

intel actually has some undercover employees at AMD to mess up their chipset and memory controller so intel can still have some hidden advantages in the market.

according to my uncle's barber's drug dealer's friend who once went to a strip club owned by lisa su's cousin, intel actually put small devices embedded in the die of every Ryzen CPU which, when intel decides to, overload the CPU with 5 Volts and kills it. this way, intel always can remain the market leader. if they lose, they can just kill all of AMD.

Fuck Nvidia

What a rollercoaster of a comment. Wow 11/10

13 hours ago, Kloaked said:

All of a sudden, tons of LTT members rush to Google to type in "CPU Infinity Fabric" so that they can argue about things that they read about on Wikipedia.

Then there is me, completely ignoring the logic behind the infinity fabric, and only seeing "can be improved by memory overclocking" lol. If they fix the IMC, I expect to see a world where people dial back CPU clocks just to get more out of their memory, instead of the other way around, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, MageTank said:

Then there is me, completely ignoring the logic behind the infinity fabric, and only seeing "can be improved by memory overclocking" lol. If they fix the IMC, I expect to see a world where people dial back CPU clocks just to get more out of their memory, instead of the other way around, lol. 

Running a 7 1700 at 2.5Ghz undervolted to save voltage to push into the IMC

3466Mhz memory, or possibly even 3600Mhz. 

50+GB/s Notbadman

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Running a 7 1700 at 2.5Ghz undervolted to save voltage to push into the IMC

3466Mhz memory, or possibly even 3600Mhz. 

50+GB/s Notbadman

Part of the reason I run my CPU at stock, is because my aggressive memory overclocks add quite a bit of heat to the CPU package. Difference between JEDEC 2133 and my 3600 C14-14-14-28-2 is about 12C under AVX load, just changing memory profiles. Add an OC on top of that, and it's curtains for my poor ITX box, lol. 

Just now, MageTank said:

Part of the reason I run my CPU at stock, is because my aggressive memory overclocks add quite a bit of heat to the CPU package. Difference between JEDEC 2133 and my 3600 C14-14-14-28-2 is about 12C under AVX load, just changing memory profiles. Add an OC on top of that, and it's curtains for my poor ITX box, lol. 

Poor IMC.. I run my CPU OC'd but my memory is only at 1600Mhz anyway and I can't be screwed manually OCing for the small amount of actual performance I get 

idk

3 hours ago, ONOTech said:

So your theory here is that the timings are connected to the Infinity Fabric - and if you mess with them you could potentially entirely screw up the connection between CCXs? And that's why AMD locked most memory modification settings?

You definitely did not lie, it's a reach, but possible. I know I'm beating at a dead horse by saying this, but could it be simply because it's a brand new architecture and they're still working through the kinks and bugs? Could it be the RAM kits themselves? Although it's few and far between, some RAM modules can run 3200+ MHz on an AM4 board with the right settings. 

It very well could be the kits. Understand, different IC's (Hynix, Samsung, Micron, Elpida, etc) all behave differently when it comes to tertiary timings. This is why AMD are recommending Samsung B-Die to achieve those 3200mhz clock speeds. Their IMC simply prefers Samsung (it preferred Elpida in the past, and Samsung is very similar to Elpida in that regard). AMD has always had a touchy relationship with Hynix IC's, so I have no doubt the ram itself is playing a fairly decent part in this. What worries me, is the 2DPC issues and multi-rank issues. 

You see, with tertiary timings, you can actually fix 2DPC issues and multi-rank issues. These timings use _DD and _DR suffixes respectively. By loosening these timings, you ease the stress that 2DPC and multi-rank puts on the IMC. The tradeoff for this stability, is performance. Reducing the _DR timings will reduce the impact of Rank Interleaving, which impacts your memory copy speed. Reducing the _DD timings will impact your reads and writes, but not by much at all. In fact, it's very minimal compared to _SG. 

I should seriously find some free time to finish my ram guide. Either that, or pawn my information off on someone that has the time to do it, lol. 

21 hours ago, Kloaked said:

And probably thought you can make one with a sewing machine. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 3/16/2017 at 8:52 PM, deXxterlab97 said:

that source is more reputable than wcftech

Or as I like to call them, WTFtech. :D

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

30 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Has anyone tested ryzen with single channel ram?

That is actually a very smart question. It would confirm whether or not the IF is tied to raw bandwidth, or just the clock speed itself. I'll pass this question along to some friends with Ryzen CPU's. Thanks for the suggestion.

4 hours ago, MageTank said:

That is actually a very smart question. It would confirm whether or not the IF is tied to raw bandwidth, or just the clock speed itself. I'll pass this question along to some friends with Ryzen CPU's. Thanks for the suggestion.

Let me know what the results are.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.