Ryzen's Infinity Fabric Clock Speed is Linked to Memory Clock Speed... Might Explain Why Memory OCs Make a Noticeable Impact in Performance on Ryzen?

Source:

Or alternatively, the picture from AMD:

a5gdj003gsly.png

So basically, it seems that the clock speed at which the infinity fabric used to connect the CCXs in Ryzen is governed by the memory clock speed. People have noticed quite noticeable performance improvements from overclocking memory on Ryzen, and this could be part of the reason. I'm not too sure, but it could also potentially partially explain why Ryzen is having a hard time overclock past around 3600 MHz, though I'd guess that it's more of an IMC thing rather than the Infinity Fabric not being able to run at those clock speeds.

If we do a little math, we find that the transfer rate of the infinity fabric between CCXs is 256bits*1066 MHz*1byte/8bits = 34112 MB/s or about 34 GB/s. However, if you just overclock the memory to 2933 MHz (which seems to be a popular overclock for Ryzen, not sure why), the transfer rate becomes 256 bits*2933 MHz/2*1 byte/8 bits = 46928 MB/s or about 47 GB/s. This is quite a substantial increase in bandwidth and I'm guessing that this explains some of the increase in performance from memory overclocking, and tells us that Ryzen may not be as memory bandwidth starved as we initially thought. Honestly, though, I wish they had made the two have been separate so that the infinity fabric could be OCed separately. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: So courtesy of @Phate.exe and @VanayadGaming, here's a video and picture of benchmarks of a 1700x@4 ghz with memory speeds ranging from 2133 MHz to 3600 MHz:

4C3EAE98-71EB-42DD-9C9C-3D9F1FD6F785-7876-000011A715D7E7F8_tmp.thumb.png.a8f79289a3f02c970dfd24ac91dcb50f.png

As you can tell the compiled picture is just a bunch of benchmarks from the video stitched together.

As you'll notice, if you compare Ryzen on 2133 MHz to the 7700k it's pretty much the same results as we've been seeing for near.y a month now. HOWEVER, at 3200 MHz, Ryzen is essentially trading blows with the 7700k, and at 3600 MHz I'd say Ryzen is actually ahead!

This is really interesting and with new bioses that support higher frequency ram better being pushed out to am4 motherboards right now if you're getting Ryzen you should probably at least be buying 3200 MHz ram to go with it. Unfortunately, 3600 MHz RAM is still quite expensive, with 2 8gb sticks costing at least $150, but 3200 MHz goes for pretty reasonable prices with 2 8gb sticks costing $110-$120 or so.

I personally will wait for a bit more well known sources to test and confirm this but if it is true that Ryzen can trade blows with the 7700k when using higher frequency ram then Ryzen 5 could end up truly competing with Intel even in gaming when using 3200 MHz RAM.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

snip

Hmm... similar to their APUs, where it benefits from faster clock ram. Faster the better for their igpu.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I didn't expect RYZEN to be two 4 core things connected by infinity fabric (I'll call it micro-pcie, ok?)

but why..?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

I didn't expect RYZEN to be two 4 core things connected by infinity fabric (I'll call it micro-pcie, ok?)

but why..?

because that way they can lower production costs and make their CPUs more modular.

it's the way of the future IMO.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

because that way they can lower production costs and make their CPUs more modular.

it's the way of the future IMO.

*sighs*

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

according to my uncle's barber's drug dealer's friend who once went to a strip club owned by lisa su's cousin

that source is more reputable than wcftech

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

*sighs*

Well it's a comparatively small price to pay for the 50% lower cost over intel 8 cores.

Depending on how the Ryzen quad cores are built, they could either suck or be really good.

if they are a single CCX, then it would be freaking awesome. on the other hand, if they are 2 CCXs with only 2 cores enabled on each, then that would really fucking suck.

^ although they would still be good CPUs don't get me wrong.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Well it's a comparatively small price to pay for the 50% lower cost over intel 8 cores.

Depending on how the Ryzen quad cores are built, they could either suck or be really good.

if they are a single CCX, then it would be freaking awesome. on the other hand, if they are 2 CCXs with only 2 cores enabled on each, then that would really fucking suck.

Now tell me how amazing the savings are with a 768p laptop screen

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

Now tell me how amazing the savings are with a 768p laptop screen

pretty damn good TBH.

on small screens it's not that noticeable.

plus gaming performance is excelent

Desktop:

Laptop:

16 minutes ago, themctipers said:

but why..?

Because it's easier. Cache and stuff gets really complicated the larger it is and it would probably add at least a month or two in development to make a single CCX eight core die. Maybe it's something we'll see with Zen2 though probably not.

11 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Don't want to ruin your hopes but the hexa-cores are 3+3 and quad cores are 2+2. And yes, this is confirmed straight from AMD. Honestly it makes sense from a yields standpoint since if it was 4+0 if there were two cores on separate CCXs that were bad then you couldn't do sh*t with that die but now you could make that into a six core CPU. With 2+2 there's 36 ways they could arrange that but with 4+0 it's 2 ways.

EDIT: But yeah it sucks from a performance standpoint though less cores will be utilizing the fabric so maybe its bottleneck will be less noticeable. And maybe AMD will eventually have 4 core dies.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

It really hit Ryzen twice as hard in the initial reviews, that BIOS did not support much more than 2666mhz ram. That being said, I wonder why the fabric is synced to ram, rather than the clockrate of the CPU itself (which would make much more sense). Especially when you consider that the fabric runs at the actual speed of ddr (dual data rate), which means it will run 1333mhz when running 2666mhz ram (which only runs 1333mhz at dual data rate/twice per clock).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, Notional said:

It really hit Ryzen twice as hard in the initial reviews, that BIOS did not support much more than 2666mhz ram. That being said, I wonder why the fabric is synced to ram, rather than the clockrate of the CPU itself (which would make much more sense).

CPU clock speed is a lot more variable, while RAM is a lot more stable in terms of frequency. It kinda makes sense since RAM is related to data transfer, which is what the infinity fabric does.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

26 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

They're a 2+2 arrangement, and hex-core are 3+3. 

Sorry to disappoint. 

The extreme scaling with memmory speeds has been reported since the NDA lifted.

So the best thing AMD can do (on the short term) to up the 1080p gaming performance is to fix compatibility and get everybody using DDR4 3200Mhz.

They said they are working on it but I don't know how long it will take.

I thought we already knew this like 2 weeks ago?

From this thread. 

with this source by The Stilt? https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/

The Data Fabric

The northbridge of Zeppelin is officially called as the data fabric (DF). The DF frequency is always linked to the operating frequency of the memory controller with a ratio of 1:2 (e.g. DDR4-2667 MEMCLK = 1333MHz DFICLK). This means that the memory speed will directly affect the data fabric performance as well. In some cases, it may appear that the performance of Zeppelin scales extremely well with the increased memory speed, however that is necessarily not the case.

In many of these cases the abnormally good scaling is caused by the higher data fabric clock (DFICLK) resulting from the higher memory speed, rather than the increased performance of the memory itself.

The highest officially supported memory speed for consumer (AM4) Zeppelin parts is 2667MHz (two single rank / sided modules in total) or 2400MHz (two dual rank / sided modules in total), however memory ratios for 2933MHz and 3200MHz speeds are available (not officially supported), at least on some motherboards.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 minutes ago, Humbug said:

17098594_1585065421522698_24714954322372

This is basically the only picture I've seen stating that performance increses this much with faster RAM.

I overclocked my sticks from 1600Mhz to 2000Mhz, (and tightened timings) but only got an 8% performance boost in benchmarks like unigine heaven or metro last light.

Desktop:

Laptop:

11 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

This is basically the only picture I've seen stating that performance increses this much with faster RAM.

I overclocked my sticks from 1600Mhz to 2000Mhz, (and tightened timings) but only got an 8% performance boost in benchmarks like unigine heaven or metro last light.

With memory OC you will only see gains with CPU-bound scenarios. Like GTAV, Witcher3, etc. Not Unigine. lmfao

idk

15 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

isn't 8% considered a good gain from a memory overclock? In the pic I posted they had gone all the way up to 3200Mhz. Obviously not every game will gain big but what needs to be tested is whether the outliers where ryzen is underperforming vs intel do gain...

even AMD is prioritizing this. 5:20

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdhLXl5a5s

The first one is fine but then you screwed up by using the memory speed instead of the IMC/Fabric speed @DocSwag. The 2933 DDR4 would make the fabric = 256*(2933/2 as 2133/1066 ~= 2 thus 1467Mhz)*1/8 = 47GB/s

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.