Change your Windows Boot Logo to the LinusTechTips Logo or your Own Picture

GanstaKingofSA

DISCLAIMER: I am Not Responsible if you Break your Windows Operating System and this is for Legacy BIOS, ONLY! The Logo in the UEFI is locked into the motherboard and can't be changed if your Motherboard Manufacturer allows you to Change It. Also Linus Tech Tips and Linus Media Group takes no part of this. I am a fan not a LTT or LMG Person.

Hello,

Today I am gonna show you how to Change the Static Windows Boot Icon into a Picture of Your Choice or to the Linus Tech Tips Logo if you want to and/or you are a Fan of Linus. Note: GIF's Do Not Work and your BIOS must be Legacy. If you don't know it Press the Windows Key and R and type msinfo32. Find BIOS Mode and see if it says Legacy.

Video link is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwdRsvTsnW86dXhWN1JZbjdtTzQ

You Need:

For LTT Logo

Spoiler
  • My bootres.dll
  • A Backup of bootres.dll
  • Command Prompt as Admin and enter the Following Command: bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
  • Adminstrator Access

Custom Boot Logo

Spoiler

Make Sure your BMP is 24-bit (In Photoshop)

If You Want the LTT Logo as your Windows Boot Logo

Spoiler

1. Download The bootres.dll from here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwdRsvTsnW86eF9KS294Y3R5Yjg

2. Go to C:\Windows\Boot\Resources and find bootres.dll

3. Make a Backup of it somewhere you will Remember

4. Right Click on the Folder go to Properties and go to Security

5. Click on Advanced

6. Click Change

7. Type in your Account Name and Click OK

8. Click Apply and Click OK when the Pop-Up Appears

9. Click OK and Click Edit

10. Click Add and Type your Account Name

11. Click OK and Click On Full Control and Hit Apply

12. Click On Yes and Click Continue on the Pop-Up

13. Click OK and OK again

14. Copy the bootres.dll that you downloaded to C:\Windows\Boot\Resources and replace the Original

15. Open Command Prompt as Admin

16. Type bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON and hit Enter

17. Type exit

18. Restart your PC

19. Ta-Da!

If you want to change the folder Back to the System, Go back to C:\Windows\Boot\Resources and Repeat Steps 4, 9 (Only Click Edit), Find your Account Name and Click Remove then Repeat Steps 5-8 but Change your Account Name to SYSTEM (all capital).

If you want to add your own Image as Windows Boot Logo

Spoiler
  1.  Go to C:\Windows\Boot\Resources and find bootres.dll
  2.  Make a Backup of it somewhere you will Remember
  3.  Right Click on the Folder go to Properties and go to Security
  4.  Click on Advanced
  5.  Click Change
  6.  Type in your Account Name and Click OK
  7.  Click Apply and Click OK when the Pop-Up Appears
  8.  Click OK and Click Edit
  9.  Click Add and Type your Account Name
  10.  Click OK and Click On Full Control and Hit Apply
  11.  Click On Yes and Click Continue on the Pop-Up
  12.  Click OK and OK again
  13. Copy bootres.dll to Boot Logo Folder
  14. Open Resource Tuner
  15. Open bootres.dll in Boot Logo Folder
  16. Click on RC Data
  17. Click on 1
  18. Click on Untitledf%25255B9%25255D.png?imgmax=800
  19. Save it as RC Data_1.wim and save it as a Binary File (.bin)
  20. Right Click on RC Data_1.wim and go to 7-Zip and Click on Extract to RC Data_1\
  21. Open GIMP
  22. Open the Image you want as the boot logo
  23. Resize it to be the following sizes in width and named the same (without Quotes) or this will not work

"winlogo5": Width must be 321

"winlogo4": Width must be 242

"winlogo3n": Width must be 98

"winlogo3": Width Must be 129

"winlogo2": Width must be 102

"winlogo1": Width Must be 82

24. Save it to RC Data_1 Folder

25. Right Click on RC Data_1.wim and go to 7-Zip and Click on the Open Archive (the one without the Arrow)

26. Copy winlogo1, 2, 3, 3n, 4, and 5 to 7-ZIP and click OK

27. Exit 7-ZIP

28. Open Resource Tuner, Open the bootres.dll in the Boot Logo Folder and Click on RC Data and Click on 1

29. Press Ctrl+Shift+R and Open RC Data_1.wim in your Boot Logo Folder

30. Go to File and Click on Save File and Exit Resource Tuner

31. On the Boot Logo Folder Click on File, Open Command Prompt and Click on Open Command Prompt as Administrator

32. Type signer64.exe (for 64-bit users) or signer.exe (for 32-bit Users) /sign sign bootres.dll and hit enter

33. It will ask you for a Smart Card but hit cancel and you should see bootres.dll signed

34. Copy the bootres.dll from the Boot Logo to C:\Windows\Boot\Resources and replace it

35. Open cmd.exe as Admin (Not the File CMD)

36. Type bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON and hit Enter

37. Restart your PC

38. Ta-Da!

If you want to change the folder Back to the System, Go back to C:\Windows\Boot\Resources and Repeat Steps 4, 9 (Only Click Edit), Find your Account Name and Click Remove then Repeat Steps 5-8 but Change your Account Name to SYSTEM (all capital).

If you guys have any questions or problems tell it down below

Hope you Enjoy your new Custom Boot Logo!

InkedWindows-8.1-Boot-Logo-Changer-Picture5_thumb_LI.jpg

I have been trying to do this for so long and this guide is the only thing that ever worked

CPU: AMD FX-6300 @3.8 GHz     |     Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212     |     RAM: G.Skill NS Series 4x4GB      |       Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FXA     |     Case: Antec One     |     Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270x HAWK    |    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2    |     HDD: 1 WD Black (Programs Files), 1 WD Caviar Blue (Boot)     |     KB & M: Cooler Master Storm Devastator Blue     |     Speakers: Logitech Z506     |     UPS:  CyberPower 1500w     |

Every time you use comic sans, one programmer dies.

Just now, mider said:

I have been trying to do this for so long and this guide is the only thing that ever worked

For Windows 8 and 8.1 there is 8oot Logo Changer but for Windows 10 This will work.

Just now, GanstaKingofSA said:

For Windows 8 and 8.1 there is 8oot Logo Changer but for Windows 10 This will work.

I used that before i updated to windows 10

CPU: AMD FX-6300 @3.8 GHz     |     Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212     |     RAM: G.Skill NS Series 4x4GB      |       Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FXA     |     Case: Antec One     |     Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270x HAWK    |    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2    |     HDD: 1 WD Black (Programs Files), 1 WD Caviar Blue (Boot)     |     KB & M: Cooler Master Storm Devastator Blue     |     Speakers: Logitech Z506     |     UPS:  CyberPower 1500w     |

1 minute ago, mider said:

I used that before i updated to windows 10

Well if your Mobo is Legacy, It can work for You. UEFI you can't except some if they allow you to change it

Capture.PNG

1 minute ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

Well if your Mobo is Legacy, It can work for You. UEFI you can't except some if they allow you to change it

Can't help but notice that you are using this for bootcamp xD.  I use it for the same thing and changed it to an apple logo

Just now, mider said:

Can't help but notice that you are using this for bootcamp xD.  I use it for the same thing and changed it to an apple logo

it will work for all Windows 10 PCs that there BIOS mode is in Legacy

1 hour ago, DemonicHeart said:

hope you get the video soon

1 hour ago, mider said:

The video has been published. You may see it for you to understand.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are using UEFI you can mod the BIOS ROM to change the logo. Look up AMI Aptio BIOS modding (assuming your machine uses it, which most do nowadays, if not I'm sure there's a way for your BIOS software too), it's not hard at all!

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post, but this was what I was looking for for my project- and I have some questions:

A.The last step in creating my custom boot logo requires me to turn test signing on, and I assume that is due to bootres.dll being modified without proper signature? And apparently, turning test mode on makes 'test mode' appear on the corner of your screen. Did that happen? Doesn't it bug you?

B. Since there has been various updates to windows since you graciously created this post, I'm worried that this method may no longer work. How is it holding up, if you're still using it? Any problems?

This was a long comment for such an old post, your answer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :)