Ryzen memory dual or quad channel

Hi guys,

long time lurker here. I am not a young spring chicken no more, as you can tell if I say that my first pc used the intel 8088 chip. This years NY resolution was to build my own computer for the first time and as I like to support the under dog I am dead excited about the Ryzen 7 releases. I want to build a 1700x rig on a x370 mobo. Most parts have already been decided on, but I am struggling with the memory. I read that Ryzen does not support quad channel memory, however, many youtube builds use quad channel memory. I gathered that there is a difference between single sided and double sided memory chips but that is as far as I got. My intentions are to have 32gb of memory. So my questions to you are:

Can I fit 32gb quad core on a x370 (lets say msi titanium)?

Will it work?

What are the differences between dual, quad and 1 sided, 2 sided memory that matter for my decision?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

/C

2 minutes ago, Chris-toph said:

I'm gonna be honest here, I don't know what it is you are asking there.

Is it quad channel? No. Ryzen at the moment only supports dual channel ram, but please don't misunderstand that with it cant run four dims. 32 GBs of ram will run.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

2 minutes ago, Chris-toph said:

quad core? you mean quad channel - right? 

the amount of RAM sticks does not necessarily relate to the amount of channels - you can have dual channel but use 4 sticks ... single or double sided - does that even still matter nowadays?

9 minutes ago, Chris-toph said:

What are the differences between dual, quad and 1 sided, 2 sided memory that matter for my decision?

Dual channel: runs 2 channels at once, with each channel supporting up to 2 DIMMS (aka can run 4 sticks at once).

Quad Channel: can run 4 separate channels at once, with each channel supporting up to 2 DIMMS (aka max of 8 sticks at once).

Ryzen, just like Skylake and Kaby Lake, is limited to dual Channel.

Next, 1 sided VS 2 sided. It's just how the memory chips are positioned on the stick. To sum it up, it doesn't matter, don't worry about it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

my bad, I meant to say "quad channel " not "quad core"

/C