Overclocking and Technical tips

Hi there guys,

I just discovered LTT on youtube a few days ago, and being a computer enthusiast myself (not like super enthusiast but I know more than the average person) I was looking at trying to improve my performance with my computer but I don't have any cool gadgets like water cooling or the latest hardware. Also, overall my computer runs pretty good but I feel like I can squeeze more out of my computer then what I get. I will list the my specs below but I would like to say that I haven't really done anything behind the scenes as I just pretty much plugged in and downloaded the drivers so there is nothing impressive with what I have done.

CPU: Intel i7 - 4770k base 3.5GHz (have it running at 3.96GHz with OC genie on my MoBo)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW edition

RAM: 1333 MHz G-Skill x2 and 1333MHz Kingston x 2 (4x4GB DDR3)

PSU: EVGA 750B2 supernova 80 cert bronze

MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming (MS-7845)

Hard drives: 128GB mSata SSD

500GB WD Black HDD

1TB Seagate HDD

In terms of a cooling solution, I have a stock CPU heatsink and fan as well as a 90mm fan in the back, a 90mm fan on top, as well as a 90mm fan in the front of the computer. However, I also leave the side of the case open as I have a pretty terrible cable management solution which prevents me from closing the case completely. (plus I like to look inside once in a while and admire my comp xD)

Cinebench R15 Results are attached and the link to my fire strike results are below.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18495675?

My main questions are...

1) What can I do for overclocking my CPU

2) What can I do to better optimize my computer outside of the normal plug and play with components.

now something that I noticed and I am not sure why it is but in task manager it says that the speed of the CPU is at 3.96GHz constantly even in idle moments like while I am typing up this topic, however, my maximum speed apparently is 3.50GHz. Now I do have the OC Genie feature enabled and running on my motherboard and I do believe I have Intel's turbo boost enabled as well which might have something to do with it but I don't know if I am actually getting 3.50GHz or 3.96GHz.

My objective to make things better with what I have here is because I do tend to stream some games sometimes, even though getting a 6 or 8 core CPU would be preferred, I don't have the money currently to upgrade. The other thing as well is that I would like to see if I can make my desktop better for programming and rendering in Unity as I have some personal projects I would like to get started on.

One thing I would like to add is that currently my machine is not bad, it runs pretty well, just after binge watching a large amount of Linus Tech videos on youtube, I am starting to feel like I can do more with my hardware without actually having to upgrade anything. 

If you need more information, I will try to get that for you if I can.

Thanks everyone :)

cineBenchResults.png

maybe you can get to 3.8ghz 24/7 on the stock cooler

-

it really depends on your temps during load. if its around 80c, dont overclock at all. even at around 70 you wouldn't have a large enough gain, and turbo is probably better

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

maybe you can get to 3.8ghz 24/7 on the stock cooler

-

it really depends on your temps during load. if its around 80c, dont overclock at all. even at around 70 you wouldn't have a large enough gain, and turbo is probably better

According to Logitech ARX controller, I am running on average around 68 Centigrade and with the probe display on the front of the case I have 35 Centigrade on average

18 minutes ago, inZaniac said:

1) What can I do for overclocking my CPU

Get a cooler (whether a 240mm AIO or a just a tower cooler). And then OC it manually. Really, that's all there is to it.

19 minutes ago, inZaniac said:

2) What can I do to better optimize my computer outside of the normal plug and play with components.

Aside for OCing the CPU, OCing the RAM. And the GPU. Those are the easiest of things you can do to get free performance.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Get a cooler (whether a 240mm AIO or a just a tower cooler). And then OC it manually. Really, that's all there is to it.

Aside for OCing the CPU, OCing the RAM. And the GPU. Those are the easiest of things you can do to get free performance.

Thanks,  didn't know that it was that little that I needed to do.

thought I don't know too much about overclocking and I am unsure on how I would do it properly. I know Linus has a video that briefly goes over the process but I am unsure where to look for a more thorough process on how to do it.

On 10/03/2017 at 10:35 PM, inZaniac said:

Thanks,  didn't know that it was that little that I needed to do.

thought I don't know too much about overclocking and I am unsure on how I would do it properly. I know Linus has a video that briefly goes over the process but I am unsure where to look for a more thorough process on how to do it.

Quick guide:

1. Put voltage on manual, I suggest 1.15v as a starting point. Leave the frequency at stock.
  2. Stress test with Prime95 Small FFT for about 5min.
  3. If max temp is:
    1. Below 81C, increase voltage a notch and repeat step 2
    2. Between 81~83, move on.
    3. Above 83, reduce voltage a notch and repeat setp 2.
  4. Once you've found your max voltage, start increasing core frequency. Stress for about 1h, until you've found instability; at that point, back off to the previous value.
  5. Once you've got that, go for a lengthier 8~24h test. If stable, congrats, you've got your OC. Otherwise, knock the multiplier down a little.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

On 3/12/2017 at 0:36 PM, Imakuni said:

Quick guide:

1. Put voltage on manual, I suggest 1.15v as a starting point. Leave the frequency at stock.
  2. Stress test with Prime95 Small FFT for about 5min.
  3. If max temp is:
    1. Below 81C, increase voltage a notch and repeat step 2
    2. Between 81~83, move on.
    3. Above 83, reduce voltage a notch and repeat setp 2.
  4. Once you've found your max voltage, start increasing core frequency. Stress for about 1h, until you've found instability; at that point, back off to the previous value.
  5. Once you've got that, go for a lengthier 8~24h test. If stable, congrats, you've got your OC. Otherwise, knock the multiplier down a little.

Thanks dude, I will look at doing this.

I appreciate the help :)