How I fixed my sagging GPU. Functional but looks are debatable

lexidobe

My GTX 970 was sagging badly because of the weight of an EK waterblock and backplate. I feel like the sagging is bad for the PCIe slot on the motherboard, at very least. This is how I fixed it.  It will be temporary until I find a more elegant way to support it. This piston is from a Honda 1.7 liter engine that I am rebuilding. Any input on other ways to support it would be welcome. Maybe it's just me, but I think that this fix looks surprisingly descent. 

20170309_130829.jpg

You should just go all out with a car parts/racing theme to pull it all together. Mostly just paint mods at this point. Paint the case white with black diagonal racing stripes.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Just now, FAQBytes said:

You should just go all out with a car parts theme to pull it all together.

Don't tempt me lol.

1 minute ago, lexidobe said:

Good idea but this is not a reference card, this is an EVGA GTX 970 FTW.

Looking at the pics of non ref cards they seem to support well with different cards

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Looking at the pics of non ref cards they seem to support well with different cards

That is a good idea. Is the sag bad for the motherboard slot or video card?

Please tell me you are supporting a GTX card with a piston from a GTO. :P

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

1 minute ago, gcubed said:

Please tell me you are supporting a GTX card with a piston from a GTO. :P

Piston from a Civic.

3 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

Piston from a Civic.

Have you gone insane? That could destroy Causality. OMG!!!!!! YOU DIDN'T DO THE MATH!

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

On a more serious note: Paint it black to match your MB with some blue highlights to match your cooling, and then slap a case badge on the top. :P

1 hour ago, lexidobe said:

That is a good idea. Is the sag bad for the motherboard slot or video card?

I'm thinking it is bad for the card itself, because foot of the PCB (i don't know what it's called) that plugs into the PCIE slot is very thin and I don't think it can support as much weight as the solid PCIE slot on the motherboard.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

3 hours ago, MilfShake said:

I'm thinking it is bad for the card itself, because foot of the PCB (i don't know what it's called) that plugs into the PCIE slot is very thin and I don't think it can support as much weight as the solid PCIE slot on the motherboard.

That sounds about right.

16 hours ago, MilfShake said:

It's called an edge connector. And they are a lot stronger than you might think.  I have seen the slots ripped off of motherboards though.  That's why a lot of high end boards are now coming with steel reinforced PCIE slots.  Just do a search for PCIE support bracket.  You are bound to find something that will work for your specific situation.  

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

18 hours ago, lexidobe said:

My GTX 970 was sagging badly because of the weight of an EK waterblock and backplate. I feel like the sagging is bad for the PCIe slot on the motherboard, at very least. This is how I fixed it.  It will be temporary until I find a more elegant way to support it. This piston is from a Honda 1.7 liter engine that I am rebuilding. Any input on other ways to support it would be welcome. Maybe it's just me, but I think that this fix looks surprisingly descent. 

20170309_130829.jpg

Take a look in this shop:

http://s.aliexpress.com/Q7j2yMVf

I know these are fake but they work fine :D

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit