What's the advantage of a bigger res?

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

Other than making the loop quicker to fill, there is no benefit, it's primarily a looks thing. 

For pump/res combos, they save on space and reduce the amount of fittings you need. Performance is no different from a separate pump and res (provided the pumps is the same.)

Other than making the loop quicker to fill, there is no benefit, it's primarily a looks thing. 

For pump/res combos, they save on space and reduce the amount of fittings you need. Performance is no different from a separate pump and res (provided the pumps is the same.)

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Thanks! Idk anything much about watercooling, and trying to learn more :)

A larger res can mean more volume, which will translate to a higher heat sink which can keep temps lower longer, but the downside is that it takes longer to cool.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Easier to bleed air out of a system too.

Especially tube res, I deal with a bay res which can be a royal pain to bleed air out.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

43 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

A larger res can mean more volume, which will translate to a higher heat sink which can keep temps lower longer, but the downside is that it takes longer to cool.

This isn't true, the amount of water you'd need for this to happen would be massive (be like a swimming pool). All an half a liter or liter of fluid would do in this case is make the fluid take a little longer to equalize to it max temp (which wouldn't be very long).

Edit: sorry just re-read this, sorta saying the same thing just explained a little diferently

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

more expensive. wait is that a negative?

i suppose it would prevent heat spikes but i doubt that is a problem on custom loops. prob better to get 2nd radiator.

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

Technically you could have a loop without a res, but I don't know why you would, and it would be more trouble than it was worth. No need for a massive one certainly.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti