bass and HDD...

Yagyu

Hi , i was wondering is bass dangerous to an hdd , since they are fragile. thank you.

1 minute ago, Yagyu said:

Hi , i was wondering is bass dangerous to an hdd , since they are fragile. thank you.

Bass, like, the fish?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Bass, like, the fish?

music bass

Just now, Yagyu said:

music bass

No.

I like my answer better.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, Yagyu said:

music bass

How powerful is the bass? How close is the speaker to the PC, and is the hard drive going to be mounted in the PC, or is it going to be on a desk as an external drive?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

How powerful is the bass? How close is the speaker to the PC, and is the hard drive going to be mounted in the PC, or is it going to be on a desk as an external drive?

the bass would be on my desk and my pc with the internal drive would be on the floor. i always put bass to high levels

Just now, Yagyu said:

the bass would be on my desk and my pc with the internal drive would be on the floor. i always put bass to high levels

How much vibration do you feel through the floor?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

How much vibration do you feel through the floor?

i dont have the sytem atm but with my parents pc , bass at max level the wall vibrates

Just now, Yagyu said:

i dont have the sytem atm but with my parents pc , bass at max level the wall vibrates

I would elevate the system a little bit, and try to get it away from any kind of vibrations as much as possible. Putting the PC itself on thick foam should help significantly with vibrations. Even if the drive still operates under those conditions, external vibrations will cause increased deterioration on its components. 

I would elevate the system a little bit, and try to get it away from any kind of vibrations as much as possible. Putting the PC itself on thick foam should help significantly with vibrations. Even if the drive still operates under those conditions, external vibrations will cause increased deterioration on its components. 

thank you so much for the advice !!!

20 minutes ago, Yagyu said:

I ran my HDD next to my sub for about 2 years before it started doing the click of death.. So It may actually cause some damage

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Just now, Moress said:

I ran my HDD next to my sub for about 2 years before it started doing the click of death.. So It may actually cause some damage

Yeah, vibrations like that are not good for a hard drive. The heads operate VERY closely to the surface of the platters. If it's off just a tiny bit, the heads will contact the platters.

Yeah, vibrations like that are not good for a hard drive. The heads operate VERY closely to the surface of the platters. If it's off just a tiny bit, the heads will contact the platters.

Yeah, I decided to just go full SSD to fix that issue :P

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Modern HDD's have an Operating shock of 65G's 2ms have a high vibration tollerance. (Try it on your laptop, run a HDD benchmark, and slam your fist on the desk about 1 meter from it, nothing will happen) 

As a human you experience vibrations (that's different to the sound you are hearing obviously) from your woofer/speaker because you are mostly made of water, and the sound waves ripple through you. Although a HDD has a lot of tiny parts it has a completely different surface area. 

As long as the speaker isn't vibrating like crazy and the HDD is not on the same surface, it should be fine. 

I actually have my media centre living room PC (with 2 WD blacks) fairly close to the 170 Watt subwoofer and its completely OK.

11 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

Modern HDD's have an Operating shock of 65G's 2ms have a high vibration tollerance. (Try it on your laptop, run a HDD benchmark, and slam your fist on the desk about 1 meter from it, nothing will happen) 

As a human you experience vibrations (that's different to the sound you are hearing obviously) from your woofer/speaker because you are mostly made of water, and the sound waves ripple through you. Although a HDD has a lot of tiny parts it has a completely different surface area. 

As long as the speaker isn't vibrating like crazy and the HDD is not on the same surface, it should be fine. 

I actually have my media centre living room PC (with 2 WD blacks) fairly close to the 170 Watt subwoofer and its completely OK.

28 minutes ago, Moress said:

Yeah, I decided to just go full SSD to fix that issue :P

29 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

thank you all !!!