Smartphones Aren't A Luxury, Says WIRED

Guest Kloaked

To not see a smartphone as a luxury, you have to be pretty entitled with easy access to one as this writer seems to be.

People without smartphones seem to still be able to get jobs like those that do. It's a luxury device, no contest.

Well... I was about to say that my 250$ Galaxy J5 is breaking down and that I have to use a 60$ Galaxy Trend Plus which works about as good as the J5...

Coincidence???

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Smartphones ARE a luxury. At no point do you NEED one to survive. I never had a smartphone growing up and I was just fine; heck my internet at home was lousy at best too and I'm only 26 so being a teenager isn't that long ago for me. There are of course examples where smartphones are an incredibly useful tool or even life-saving but these are mostly based on your career/job or a medical condition of yourself or family; in which case yes, you do NEED one and in those circumstances you'll make sure you have one.

The furthest you could possibly justify this course of thinking is a standard mobile/cell phone that can make calls and text as a requirement to live purely for the instant access to emergency services. That's it.

You don't NEED Facebook wherever you are. You don't NEED Angry Birds or Clash of Clans. You don't NEED internet access everywhere. They're nice to have and improve your quality of life but they are not NEEDED.