I7 4790K and HYPER 212 EVO Problem

Go to solution Solved by Simon771,

Welcome to the club of i7 4790k ... stock settings and I have 80°C on water cooling loop.

That's why I decided to delid it, but failed with razer method, so I will buy delidding tool, because I don't wanna risk it.

Not sure if you can solve that problem any other way.

Maybe you can sell that CPU, and buy new one. Or keep that i7 4790k on stock settings untill you can afford new one. I'm not buying any other CPU with TIM inside ever again. Only soldered ones, since those have the lowest possible temps.

Something seems wrong with my CPU or my heatsink. 

I currently have my i7 4790k cooled by a Hyper 212 EVO at 4.4Ghz and the maximum tempearutes are between 70~75C° on FULL load (20~ min rendering in Blender CPU) , they seem fine to me, the problem is when i try to increase the Ghz by 0.1 the maximum temperatures go up by 25~30C° while rendering the same frame in just under a minute, reaching 100C° and then throttling.

Can someone help me to know better what is going on.

•I used the thermal paste that came with the heatsink

•i used the line method

•I cleaned the heatsink and made sure it was well attached

It's because the 4790K runs pretty hot and you're using a budget cooler.  I've got the same CPU and cooler.  I just ordered one of these.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

What voltage on overclocked at both speeds?

Everything on the bios is default i just changed the vcore from auto(40) to 44.

Welcome to the club of i7 4790k ... stock settings and I have 80°C on water cooling loop.

That's why I decided to delid it, but failed with razer method, so I will buy delidding tool, because I don't wanna risk it.

Maybe you can sell that CPU, and buy new one. Or keep that i7 4790k on stock settings untill you can afford new one. I'm not buying any other CPU with TIM inside ever again. Only soldered ones, since those have the lowest possible temps.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

10 minutes ago, LuisCorner said:

Something seems wrong with my CPU or my heatsink. 

I currently have my i7 4790k cooled by a Hyper 212 EVO at 4.4Ghz and the maximum tempearutes are between 70~75C° on FULL load (20~ min rendering in Blender CPU) , they seem fine to me, the problem is when i try to increase the Ghz by 0.1 the maximum temperatures go up by 25~30C° while rendering the same frame in just under a minute, reaching 100C° and then throttling.

Can someone help me to know better what is going on.

•I used the thermal paste that came with the heatsink

•i used the line method

•I cleaned the heatsink and made sure it was well attached

Wait!! You went form a 20 min render to under a minute render with a 0.1 Mhz overclock? Something doesn't sound right

2 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

Wait!! You went form a 20 min render to under a minute render with a 0.1 Mhz overclock? Something doesn't sound right

I tried to say that while rendering (at 4.5Ghz) the temperatures go from 30~C° to 100C° in just 20 to 30 seconds.

While at 4.4 Ghz the maximum temperatures are 75C°

The total time to render 1 frame is like 1:40

7 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Stock settings?  You mean 4.0Ghz? With water cooling??!? Man you must have lost the silicon lottery really bad.

Just now, LuisCorner said:

Stock settings?  You mean 4.0Ghz? With water cooling??!? Man you must have lost the silicon lottery really bad.

Not 4GHz ... 4,4GHz on all active cores.

And I didn't touch voltage at all.

And I didn't lost silicon lottery, because my CPU can handle 4,8GHz if temps are okay. So after I delid it, temps should be okay for me to run 4,8GHz on all cores all the time. At least I hope so xD 

I had stable 4,7GHz at 1,31V, I just didn't like my temps to be around 95°C, so I'm on stock settings for now.

Was hoping that Ryzen will score at least 180 points in single core performance in Cinebench ... in that case I would sell that 4790k and just go with Ryzen since it's soldered and running cold.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Not 4GHz ... 4,4GHz on all active cores.

And I didn't touch voltage at all.

And I didn't lost silicon lottery, because my CPU can handle 4,8GHz if temps are okay. So after I delid it, temps should be okay for me to run 4,8GHz on all cores all the time. At least I hope so xD 

I had stable 4,7GHz at 1,31V, I just didn't like my temps to be around 95°C, so I'm on stock settings for now.

Was hoping that Ryzen will score at least 180 points in single core performance in Cinebench ... in that case I would sell that 4790k and just go with Ryzen since it's soldered and running cold.

Well i marked you as solved i didnt know the 4790k needed to be delided to reach good temperatures.

When i looked on the web for the 4790k and 212 evo i read this " the 212 should be good up to 4.6 but it's not guaranteed. 4.6 is pretty common with the 4790K and EVO, but if you want to go over that, you'll probably need a better cooler. "

Thanks for the info everyone.

10 hours ago, LuisCorner said:

Everything on the bios is default i just changed the vcore from auto(40) to 44.

You seem to be referring to the core clock. What's your core voltage set to?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 hours ago, LuisCorner said:

I tried to say that while rendering (at 4.5Ghz) the temperatures go from 30~C° to 100C° in just 20 to 30 seconds.

While at 4.4 Ghz the maximum temperatures are 75C°

The total time to render 1 frame is like 1:40

Uhm, new to OC? Voltages play really big role on temps. If you have let them at auto, they will be higher than needed. My friends 4790K can do 4.7GHz at 1.27V on 212 Evo easy (OC'd at summer time so ~25C room temp).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv