did i go overboard @ EVGA

kiwibacon

1. ryzen crosshair board requires an 8pin and a 4pin power supply.

2. i had lost my 2nd 8pin connecter from evga G2 1000w supply

3. I asked EVGA for replacement and @ what cost, they told me to register on website and enter serial code.

4. Upon realizing that serial number is not available unless you remove power supply from case "left side of power supply supply"

5.I said to EVGA "their support s terrible and I refuse to ever buy their products."

6.Reply" I would of sent it to you for free."

...even worst than nvidia you must register if you want automatic update notifications

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

2 minutes ago, kiwibacon said:

5.I said to EVGA "their support s terrible and I refuse to ever buy their products."

well that is not fair to evgas service tbh.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

So by not unscrewing your psu, a couple of minute job, you have lost by not being able to receive a free cable, and now you will have to buy a cable and look like an idiot in the process. 

Honestly, I don't understand why people feel they need to be mean to the support staff, their entire job is to keep the end user happy while solving the end users problem as painless as possible. Be polite and they will look after you, be mean and they will lower the priority of your case or just ignore it. 

Your frustration is understandable. However, in my years of working with customer support folks over the phone for support, RMAs, refunds, complaints, partial discounts, or whatever it is I'm seeking I've learned that simply being polite no matter how the other party treats you will almost always get you want you want (unless what you want is just completely unreasonable). With practice, and a strong vocabulary, you can learn to be extremely polite while still making it clear you are upset, resolute or whatever you are trying to convey at the same time.

Getting upset at someone rarely works, and I feel sorry for the people that works on because it says something about their personality. Remember there is a person on the other side of the phone that doesn't want to be there. Make their day better and you're more likely to get what you want.

Edit: On a side note, speaking to someone in person who is composed, polite, and still obviously very angry is a lot scarier than some idiot screaming in your face. I speak from experience.

7 minutes ago, kiwibacon said:

They would've probably helped you if you did what they asked for you know?

EVGA needs the registered product to know that you're not screwing them over, so you have to register it online.

I love Small Form factor ITX rigs.

so you lost your 8-pin eps connector, you asked for a replacement and then attacked EVGA just because you couldn't be bothered to remove the psu to check the serial number? yes. yes you went overboard. probably looked like a total dick to EVGA's customer support too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I guess the issue lies with the time to sign up and get the serial would of been less then my wage i if just went to work and bought a new set of cablemod cables.

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

3 minutes ago, kiwibacon said:

I guess the issue lies with the time to sign up and get the serial would of been less then my wage i if just went to work and bought a new set of cablemod cables.

Be rude over other things like support making you wait 1 month just to send you more preliminary questions on their dumbass list after the original support person bounced you to someone else. THAT is a legitimate reason to be upset.

Not over you not being prudent enough to register your parts before assembling your computer. Especially with EVGA PSUs which give you a free game from their site. :)

5 minutes ago, kiwibacon said:

So literally a 5min job of removing 4 screws, checking a number, and noting it down is 'less than your wage'

I'd do it

EVGA support are generally friendly

and you save the price of buying an EPS cable

idk

Let's not give the guy too much grief. Yes he overreacted, but we've all done that at some point. What he had to do was annoying at best, and incredibly frustrating at worst depending on whatever else he's dealing with that day/week/month/year. @kiwibacon You screwed up bud. Treat it as a learning experience in human relations and move on.

26 minutes ago, kiwibacon said:

4. Upon realizing that serial number is not available unless you remove power supply from case "left side of power supply supply"

6.Reply" I would of sent it to you for free."

...even worst than nvidia you must register if you want automatic update notifications

So, removing the power supply to get the serial number warrants you to say to EVGA that their support is terrible, and then boycott their products altogether. Removing the power supply is not particularly hard - it may not be convenient, but EVGA's team is not some wizard group where they can magically figure out information.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

7 minutes ago, Drexl said:

Let's not give the guy too much grief. Yes he overreacted, but we've all done that at some point. What he had to do was annoying at best, and incredibly frustrating at worst depending on whatever else he's dealing with that day/week/month/year.

This does not warrant boycotting EVGA's products and insulting their team.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's true if you are rude to customer service they will get their workmates to gather around and laugh at the shit you send. They will reassign your ticket to the useless guy in the office that no one likes. They will put your ticket to the last of their work que so hopefully it's still there at the end of the day and go to someone else. Right now I can't think of what else ive seen happen to difficult customers

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

25 minutes ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

The S/N sticker is also located in the product package, if you happen to have it.

This is why I keep the boxes to all of the hardware I posses that is still under warranty. 

I find it odd that OP even insulted their CS, given EVGA has probably the single greatest CS reputation in the computer hardware industry. They've sent my friend an entire cable set ($80-$100 value) for free after a single cable's capacitors failed. They also added an additional 1 year to his PSU's warranty (which is silly, because it already has 7 years) but you get the point.

Had OP simply kept his box, or removed 4 screws and slightly move his PSU (it's modular, you don't even have to unplug the cables from the board or undo any cable management) he would have avoided this entire scenario. Also, complaining that you have to register your product? How else are you going to prove you own it? Literally every other hardware company I have ever used, requires product registration for warranty. MSI, Samsung, Zotac, etc all require product registration tied to an email or account on their website in order to get their "full" warranty. Now, most of these sites still honor their warranties if you have your invoice/receipt, but you certainly won't get any free replacement pieces for your product without registration.

The sense of entitlement people have these days absolutely scares me.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

5 minutes ago, MageTank said:

This is why I keep the boxes to all of the hardware I posses that is still under warranty. 

I find it odd that OP even insulted their CS, given EVGA has probably the single greatest CS reputation in the computer hardware industry. They've sent my friend an entire cable set ($80-$100 value) for free after a single cable's capacitors failed. They also added an additional 1 year to his PSU's warranty (which is silly, because it already has 7 years) but you get the point.

Had OP simply kept his box, or removed 4 screws and slightly move his PSU (it's modular, you don't even have to unplug the cables from the board or undo any cable management) he would have avoided this entire scenario. Also, complaining that you have to register your product? How else are you going to prove you own it? Literally every other hardware company I have ever used, requires product registration for warranty. MSI, Samsung, Zotac, etc all require product registration tied to an email or account on their website in order to get their "full" warranty. Now, most of these sites still honor their warranties if you have your invoice/receipt, but you certainly won't get any free replacement pieces for your product without registration.

The sense of entitlement people have these days absolutely scares me.

Beautifully said, my friend. I don't keep the boxes but I note down SNs in a big fat Google Sheet before I put it in my system. Saves time when I do have to RMA a product and register it. 

idk

1 hour ago, kiwibacon said:

I see. Registering to get free replacement cable which you would usually have to buy is worse than registering to get update notification for a free program. Flawless logic 11/10. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

the instant you are rude to support staf for being lazy you are a compleate dick and you went overboard. i do support for a big game tournament orginization and people that blaime problems with the game on us just come across as idiots, just like you did for beeing a lazy ass and not removeing your PSU, hey maybe you could have just taken of the other side panel if you case allows for that, but nooooo you had to go attack the support for needing to know that you own their product.... people like you are the worst to deal with, they just attack you if you try and help, support staf is there so YOU can have the best experience possible so i dont understand why you would attack them in any case unless they are being unresonable

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, kiwibacon said:

so.. you are upset your serial code isnt clearly visible on a mounted power supply?

sorry man, but out of all "one percenter" preferences i've heard, you are quite literally the only person i've ever heard this say, and it is quite honestly a very fair ting of evga to ask, because it is their only real verification that you *own* the unit you want a cable for. without that serial number i could just show them a picture fished off the net "i need a cable for this", and then risne and repeat until i have enough cables to mod into other power supplies, without ever giving evga a cent of my money.

in other words: you're a douchebag for what you did, and i hope you realise this and learn for the future.

2 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Honestly, I don't understand why people feel they need to be mean to the support staff

some companies deserve it, but they're few and far in between.

the only time i've ever been rude to support, was when they straight up lied about the product they sold me ("7200mAh battery", showed up as 5900mAh, and they claimed "it rarely happens" while about 10% of their reviews were exactly such cases, and they actually tried to DEFEND their right in these cases. and beyond that reviews on their own website were straight up fake.)

You're demanding a free cable from them, and all they ask for is verification of your PSU by just registering it. 

If it's easier for you to buy a cable with your "wages" that you would lose by removing the PSU you wouldn't be asking for free stuff. You would just buy a new one a get it shipped express. 

EVGA has some of the best customer service, if they didn't help it's because you REALLY didn't deserve it. 

I'd really like to know where I can get free cables without providing proof of ownership.

Which one seems more logical way of doing business:

A

"Hey I can't find my 8pin CPU power cable. Could I get new one and what would it cost?"

"We can send you another one for free. Please provide proof of ownership by either reading serial number of you unit (located on side of unit) or by givign copy of your receipt."

"I can't unscrew PSU to check code, can I still get one?"

"No, sorry. We require proof for free replacements. You can still by replacement part from our store."

"FU! You have worst support. I will never buy your products!!!!"

Or B

"Hey I can't find my 8pin CPU power cable. Could I get new one and what would it cost?"

"We can send you another one for free. Please provide proof of ownership by either reading serial number of you unit (located on side of unit) or by giving copy of your receipt."

"I can't unscrew PSU to check code, can I still get one?"

"Sure thing. Just give your shipping information (we don't care if you even own PSU or have stolen it)."

"Cool! You guys rock. I will recommend you to EVERY other scammer I know."

Its funny that you got heated since you were ready to pay for replacement part. And just because free option required some extra work. I mean, what would you rather do, 10mins of easy disassembly, or pay $5-15 for new part?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Sorry but that can't be blamed on EVGA all they require you do do is give them the number they need and they send you the cable for free. Id say that excellent customer support personally.

If you think EVGA's customer service is terrible, I'm sorry to tell you, there is hardly a better and more helpful CS out there.

7 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

It's true if you are rude to customer service they will get their workmates to gather around and laugh at the shit you send. They will reassign your ticket to the useless guy in the office that no one likes. They will put your ticket to the last of their work que so hopefully it's still there at the end of the day and go to someone else. Right now I can't think of what else ive seen happen to difficult customers

This is exactly what we do in customer service.  When they call in, we'll make it seem like a bigger problem than it is sometimes just so we have to "escalate it up."  We'll deal with them when they've had time to cool off.

Or if it's something simple, we'll make them look stupid.

(All without actually being rude of course).

And yes, if you are brain dead retarded and rude to us, we will gather around and laugh at the notes from the phone call.

@kiwibacon  Keep this in mind.  Because your information and how you handled it is now notated.  You'll have a negative connotation with EVGA's customer service from now on.  They'll probably be bouncing you around to "find someone in the right department."  And 

All you are doing is embarrassing yourself.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.